Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:51 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Has Mensa actually accomplished anything of note?
Accomplishing anything of note isn't its mission. It's just a social club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I took a mentored test on a lark, as many folks did at the time, and did receive a letter from Mensa. It stated that I scored higher than 95% of the population, with a Cattell score of 139, which was far short of the required score of 148. A re-test was offered, which would take place in a month. Since I was not aware of any cognitive enhancement drugs on the market at the time, I considered whether I could make make my brain bigger, better, new and improved, with less fat and calories, in that period of time, and concluded that I would forever be consigned to the band of the hopeless, unworthy, and rejected.

My life changed little after that, except that I noticed my dog - Bear - began disrespecting me, and refused to follow my commands. He would prance around with a superior look on his face, as if he was laughing inside. Probably just my imagination.
Your statement that a score of 148 was the required minimum caused me to look it up. It turns out there are two different tests; the minimum on the Stanford-Binet is 132, while the minimum on the Catelli test is as you say: 148.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:14 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
All of these groups blend together in my opinion... Anything done in secret can't be good for the outsiders:

Mensa
Lions Club
Rotary
Masons
Elks
Illuminati
Scientologists
Mormons
Jehovah's witness
Skull and Bones
KKK
Priory of Scion
Lol what?

Old 03-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
All of these groups blend together in my opinion... Anything done in secret can't be good for the outsiders:

Mensa
Lions Club
Rotary
Masons
Elks
Illuminati
Scientologists
Mormons
Jehovah's witness
Skull and Bones
KKK
Priory of Scion
"In secret"? MENSA is not a secret society. It's just a social club, like neighborhood social clubs that are based on having an address within neighborhood boundaries. Rotary and Lions are not secret societies; they're business clubs oriented toward charitable projects. If you have a project you'd like to ask them to help fund, you can attend a meeting. There's nothing secret about them.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Lol what?
It's called prejudice. If you don't like two entities or groups, it clearly makes sense to draw parallels between them that don't exist. Saves you a lot of work trying to justify your ignorance.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Like any social club, if you have interests in common with others who participate, that makes it enjoyable. There is, however, no guarantee that common interests and compatible personalities go hand in hand with having IQs and test scores over a particular level. I know many people where our intelligence level is comparable, but we have nothing in common in terms of interests, nor do our personalities mesh particularly well.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:24 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Having a high IQ does not mean you're smart. Many people with high IQ's do dumb things. Heck I do it all the time.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
High IQ's are mostly just an intellectual curiosity. What makes a person smart is common sense, a moral compass and just getting along with people in a positive way.
IQ has nothing to do with intellectual curiosity. It is as someone else has pointed out simply an ability to take a certain type of tests.
Plenty of high IQ people, like those in Mensa, have little intellectual curiosity. At the time I attended most in the Houston chapter of Mensa have no idea what tapas or ceviche are, and are pretty useless at discussing non-Hollywood movies. And this in a city where NASA and cutting edge medical research are based.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Accomplishing anything of note isn't its mission. It's just a social club.
Well what's the point then? Seems like a complete waste of time. Why would an organization exist for so-called intelligent people, where they meet up and don't do anything meaningful?

Was that the intent?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:30 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Well what's the point then? Seems like a complete waste of time. Why would an organization exist for so-called intelligent people, where they meet up and don't do anything meaningful?

Was that the intent?
Don't be so quick to dismiss the social aspect provided by this organization.
Before meetup and social media Mensa was one of the very few places where one can meet other nerdish folks, especially if you live in a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education