Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:14 PM

586 posts, read 554,397 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids, but I have talked repeatedly to friends who do—about what they would add to the curriculum that would help all kids now and tomorrow.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:45 PM

163 posts, read 138,139 times
Definitely something based upon Personal Finance.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Boot Camp, to teach them discipline and personal responsibility.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:28 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
I agree.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I actually did have specific personal finance coursework in my required high school curriculum.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:40 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
I would love a required semester IN HIGH SCHOOL of American History/Government. Curriculum to be based on the historical development of how our government was formed and then leading to how our government is designed and "supposed" to work. These kids should have taken a course in middle school on Civics already giving them some background. Unfortunately, I understand that even middle school Civics has also gone the way of the dodo bird in many if not most of our schools.

The lack of knowledge in the country on this, especially with our younger people, is appalling.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:01 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,897,165 times
I'd add to the above list- geography and grammar.

Social skills (god forbid!) used to be taught as well. There was a series of educational films on various topics shown in schools in the '40s and '50s like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDl...4C1FF84830A362

Old 04-07-2017, 08:16 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Boot Camp, to teach them discipline and personal responsibility.
This, first and foremost. The behavior and disrespect are appalling. They need to sit still, keep quiet, and learn to listen. Nothing can be learned until a person can settle down and concentrate.

Personal finance--we had enough of that in 7th grade and it just took less than a week. I can still remember what they taught us about interest rates, loans, mortgages, credit, etc. It's pretty basic, doesn't require an entire course, but needs to be taught.

But civics and history should be brought back if they're gone. Learn about our country and its government.
These kids will be our future leaders or at least our future voters.

Lastly, grammar. People don't take someone seriously if the person can't compose a sentence. If a person writes, "The vote is their's" or "he should of done that", there goes his credibility. At the very least, learn how to leave the apostrophe out unless it's needed, lol.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
Many states require this now. Unfortunately, most students don't absorb it because it's irrelevant. Until they get to paying their own rent, buying their own clothes, food, etc, it's just academic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I would love a required semester IN HIGH SCHOOL of American History/Government. Curriculum to be based on the historical development of how our government was formed and then leading to how our government is designed and "supposed" to work. These kids should have taken a course in middle school on Civics already giving them some background. Unfortunately, I understand that even middle school Civics has also gone the way of the dodo bird in many if not most of our schools.

The lack of knowledge in the country on this, especially with our younger people, is appalling.
Seriously? My district requires 1 semester of "Government" (formerly called civics) a year of world history and a year of US history. Kids also get this stuff in middle school.
BVSD Graduation Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'd add to the above list- geography and grammar.

Social skills (god forbid!) used to be taught as well. There was a series of educational films on various topics shown in schools in the '40s and '50s like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDl...4C1FF84830A362
How funny, and I don't mean the video. What we hear a lot on this forum is that they didn't do all this "social" stuff in "the good old days".

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This, first and foremost. The behavior and disrespect are appalling. They need to sit still, keep quiet, and learn to listen. Nothing can be learned until a person can settle down and concentrate.

Personal finance--we had enough of that in 7th grade and it just took less than a week. I can still remember what they taught us about interest rates, loans, mortgages, credit, etc. It's pretty basic, doesn't require an entire course, but needs to be taught.

But civics and history should be brought back if they're gone. Learn about our country and its government.
These kids will be our future leaders or at least our future voters.

Lastly, grammar. People don't take someone seriously if the person can't compose a sentence. If a person writes, "The vote is their's" or "he should of done that", there goes his credibility. At the very least, learn how to leave the apostrophe out unless it's needed, lol.
We had that, too, in jr. high sometime. I can't tell you if it was 7th or 8th. My kids got it in middle school in the 90s. I think people have in mind some type of course that will magically transform these kids into brilliant financial managers. There's too much emotion in money for that.

I really wish people would find out what their districts are doing before posting. I can't imagine a high school education that doesn't include those topics. Just what do you think is being taught "these days"?

Old 04-07-2017, 08:57 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

I thought most states required this? I know in Illinois to get a diploma you have to pass a basic civics test (I think its standardized by the state) that requires this. That said, many people seem to have remembered enough to pass the test, but looking at their facebook posts 10 years later don't seem to have a lot of memory on how it works.

I graduated HS in the mid 2000's, and we still were required to take typing class. I think that it became irrelevant with the backspace key on word processors.

The course was two parts, one part using Microsoft Office products, which was useful, and typing, which wasn't. Especially since most students have been typing since an early age.

I think that it would be better to teach coding for instead of typing.

Again, not that everyone will become software developers, but a little working knowledge of it can't be a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education