Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No matter where you look at it from, the LAUSD's "PHBAO status" doesn't make a distinction between black and Hispanic. Only between white and non-white.
What about Asian students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:19 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
What about Asian students?

Exactly.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 PM

606 posts, read 419,379 times
Lol, this just seems laughable. I'm also going to assume that this school happens to be in a more affluent area? If they can't get enough minorities, are they going to widen the district to bus some in from twice the distance? Whomever made this decision isn't really thinking things out.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Lol, this just seems laughable. I'm also going to assume that this school happens to be in a more affluent area? If they can't get enough minorities, are they going to widen the district to bus some in from twice the distance? Whomever made this decision isn't really thinking things out.
The funding is not just for minorities, but for minorities who reside in the neighborhood of the school. Btw, someone asked about Asians - they are included as minorities in this definition. This was quoted in another post, but I am requoting it here.

Quote:
PHBAO Program
PHBAO is an acronym for Predominantly Hispanic, Black, Asian, or other Non-Anglo. A school is categorized as PHBAO based on its resident student population. The resident student population is calculated by excluding all traveling, permit, open enrollment, and special education students from the norm day enrollment count. Schools with a PHBAO resident only population greater than 70% are categorized as PHBAO schools.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The funding is not just for minorities, but for minorities who reside in the neighborhood of the school. Btw, someone asked about Asians - they are included as minorities in this definition. This was quoted in another post, but I am requoting it here.
There was a book written about the Houston school system in which the author explained that in the 1990s "Asians did not count as minorities" in the minds of White Houstonians https://books.google.ca/books?id=4eY4cg07-CAC&pg=PA59 - in other words a demographic increase of Asians wouldn't threaten the stability of white student bodies.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
in other words a demographic increase of Asians wouldn't threaten the stability of white student bodies.

In my experience people from Asia and of Asian descent living in the U.S. are high-achievers and I'm not even from Houston. By "Asian" I mean Chinese, Japanese, Southeast Asian, and Subcontinental or South Asian. Like most white people (historically?), they have strong cultural traditions that value education and hard work.

But the context of the Los Angeles Unified School District's PHBAO is not whether the minorities would be good students or whether they'd even need special services. It's purely about translating skin color into money.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
In my experience people from Asia and of Asian descent living in the U.S. are high-achievers and I'm not even from Houston. By "Asian" I mean Chinese, Japanese, Southeast Asian, and Subcontinental or South Asian. Like most white people (historically?), they have strong cultural traditions that value education and hard work.

But the context of the Los Angeles Unified School District's PHBAO is not whether the minorities would be good students or whether they'd even need special services. It's purely about translating skin color into money.
The myth of the model minority really hurts Asians in this country.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ricans/485492/

Quote:
For instance, research done by Stacey Lee, a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s School of Education, shows how this image can deter Asian American high-school students from seeking help when they’re struggling in school, socially isolating them and, ironically, causing them to fare worse academically.
Quote:
Biases against Asian Americans often go unnoticed unless or until high-profile events occur, in contrast with the sort of egregious discrimination many African Americans encounter.
The Model Minority Myth

Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 PM

When I asked about rates of violent crime affecting Asian Americans back in middle school, saying that "many are doctors and lawyers" my teacher reminded me that there are many poor Asian Americans who worked in sweatshops in New York City. They aren't all wealthy.

Some Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodian, and Hmong immigrants came from relatively disadvantaged backgrounds. Lumping them in with wealthier Taiwanese and Japanese people (who have resources for tutoring and live in safer neighborhoods) may do them a disservice. Stacey Lee comes from University of Wisconsin and in all probability she's familiar with the Hmong people and their unique background.

Quote:

Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The myth of the model minority really hurts Asians in this country.
Quote:
... my teacher reminded me that there are many poor Asian Americans who worked in sweatshops in New York City. They aren't all wealthy.
This is exactly my point. The "PHBAO status" only applies to students who are not white. If the stereotype of the successful minority hurts Asians, then why isn't the stereotype of the "privileged" white student perceived as "really hurting" them? I'm against the whole idea of categorizing kids by skin color and doling out extra dollars for kids whose skin is a certain color.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
This is exactly my point. The "PHBAO status" only applies to students who are not white. If the stereotype of the successful minority hurts Asians, then why isn't the stereotype of the "privileged" white student perceived as "really hurting" them? I'm against the whole idea of categorizing kids by skin color and doling out extra dollars for kids whose skin is a certain color.
The classification was a way to attract teachers to schools that were in less than desirable neighborhoods. Most of the privileged schools have no problem attracting teachers. The extra funding meant that schools in those neighborhoods could have lower class sizes and more teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education