Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 10:40 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Then you need to find new people to hang around.
Seriously, in my experience most parents of kids in gifted classes are usually well aware that other parents (and sometimes teachers) are only too eager to give them the side eye. .
If they are getting the "side eye" there is probably a reason for that. If I were getting side-eye, I'd wonder if my own behavior somehow contributed to this.

I don't think ANYONE here thinks a parent should never boast about their child's achievements, but we have issues with parents who do this constantly. It gets annoying after a while. Perhaps they should learn to get interested in other people's children and ask the parents about their own child. This is called good manners and good etiquette - being interested in the other person and not just talking about oneself or one's children non-stop. I've had to "unfollow" people on social media who posting pictures of their child all day long, 24 hours a day. Although I enjoy seeing an occasional photo, it becomes obnoxious when people keep posting these all the time. And some of these parents wonder why I no longer respond to them on social media anymore, "didn't you see my last post? I talked about this on facebook the other day". Um, no you are hidden that is why I don't see you anymore.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I noticed that too. I guess before high school, a genius kid is pretty rare and therefore out of the ordinary. .
Not from what I've seen, most parents claim their young child has a genius level IQ. They can't be that uncommon or rare. Apparently, they are as common as mud. So either the parents are not telling the truth, or they are exaggerating.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:52 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,989,562 times
Every parent thinks their kid is all sorts of wonderful. Even Jeffrey dammer and Norman bates had loving mothers.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:54 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,883,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Not from what I've seen, most parents claim their young child has a genius level IQ. They can't be that uncommon or rare. Apparently, they are as common as mud. So either the parents are not telling the truth, or they are exaggerating.
I was talking about more-or-less true geniuses. The types who know information years beyond their grade level, as opposed to just getting straight A's. But perhaps this is more complex a topic than I thought.

In high school, being smart is perceived as fairly normal, at least in decent schools. While smartness alone doesn't make you popular, it generally doesn't make people dislike you, either. Both are almost always due to other factors.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:58 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,375,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I was talking about more-or-less true geniuses. The types who know information years beyond their grade level, as opposed to just getting straight A's. But perhaps this is more complex a topic than I thought.

In high school, being smart is perceived as fairly normal, at least in decent schools. While smartness alone doesn't make you popular, it generally doesn't make people dislike you, either. Both are almost always due to other factors.
True geniuses are rare, and I don't see many parents making such claims. There are varying levels of giftedness. When I speak of gifted, I'm not talking about genius-level cognitive abilities, which is extremely rare.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 AM

12,863 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you just wanna argue with me. I NEVER said it was okay to be a braggart about sports accomplishments. At my school, during morning announcements I recognized sports accomplishments and academic accomplishments fairly equally.

Or that you like to argue with me? Nothing that spectacular. It's simply you made a statement that connects with other statements made in this thread so I picked yours for illustration rather than quote them all. Yours just happened to be the shortest.

The reason I focused on that sentiment is what Metaphysique says below. I too have seen what he/she observes below that it's acceptable to brag about athletic and artistic ability but not acceptable to brag about academic ability. I ask the question of why the double standard?

If I were to say my daughter was captain of the soccer team, won a state during her career, got recruited by several colleges, most would think that's great and be happy.

On the other hand, if I were to say she was top 10% of her class, dean's list at an R1 university, coauthored several papers, most would consider that, first, bragging, and second, "Don't you mean a D1 university -- how'd their football team do?" Not just individuals, but even entire universities of tens of thousands of students are judged on how the football team did last season. That's the double standard I'm trying to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It's quite acceptable to openly praise young Braydon's his running back skills, or basketball skills, but when it comes to academics it's suddenly unacceptable and boastful.
I've observed the differences between positive reception for academic vs. artistic abilities. Things like artistic talent may be met with more genuine positive reception than academic abilities. Interestingly, I think our older two appreciate the praise they receive for their artistic abilities and interests more than pure academics.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Every parent thinks their kid is all sorts of wonderful. Even Jeffrey dammer and Norman bates had loving mothers.
Good point.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 PM

50,892 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Except that Norman Bates didn't exist.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,514 times
All children grow up to be adults with issues.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except that Norman Bates didn't exist.
Sure, he's a fictional character, but we get the point. There are lots of people out there just like him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education