Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,701,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This is ELEMENTARY SCHOOL! She is going into 3rd grade for cryin' out loud. She is not interested in looking sexy for a boy. I'm going to see how many other parents are on board with me. Maybe we can get together and all of us send our daughters & granddaughters to school with a skirt or skort on the first day. We'll call the local news station, hold signs "Girls should be allowed to be girls", maybe it will go national........
A local news station isn't going to care that children have to wear uniforms to school. And you're a fool for putting the child in this! Sure send her to school breaking the rules and SHE will be the one punished NOT you! Stop this nonsense. Learn to pick our battles in life. This isn't even your child. This is your son's decision NOT yours! Butt out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 8,469,332 times
Quote:
Yes, and this is the battle I intend to pick because it's not just about the uniform, it's about teaching our girls that they have to wear pants and be like the boys. Where does it stop?
Before you make this a battle, perhaps you should call the school to find out the reason why they made the change to the dress code.

FWIW, wearing pants doesn't make a girl less of a girl.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:42 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,018,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One year when I was teaching in a high school -- and it happened to be a high school that was quite diverse -- at a faculty meeting in October, one of the teachers stood up and DEMANDED that the school return to having religious Christmas events "because we still outnumber those others".
She must have been related to the one who informed our faculty that we should include the origin of Christmas in the history curriculum, because everyone should know history.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:44 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,701,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Before you make this a battle, perhaps you should call the school to find out the reason why they made the change to the dress code.

FWIW, wearing pants doesn't make a girl less of a girl.
Nah. It makes much more sense to go in with guns a blazin' acting like a fool and causing problems for someone else's child!

Old 06-28-2017, 01:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,821,022 times
Quote:
Yes, and this is the battle I intend to pick because it's not just about the uniform, it's about teaching our girls that they have to wear pants and be like the boys. Where does it stop?
How is it teaching them they have to wear pants and be like boys? You are way over thinking this.

When my daughter was in private school the kindergartners had to wear the gym uniform every day. It consisted of sweatpants and a polo shirt. She hated it. She was a girl who wore a dress every day, however at the age of 5 she sucked it up and went to school like everyone else. In her free time she chose what she wore.

I don't think they are asking anything too outrageous. I would be interested to know if other parents are up in arms about this.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:09 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,797,486 times
Decades ago I went to a Catholic preschool and kindergarten where all students were required to wear pants. I didn't like it because I wanted to wear a dress but managed to survive without any lasting damage. No one has ever accused me of being masculine.

IMO this is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 8,469,332 times
Quote:
This is ELEMENTARY SCHOOL! She is going into 3rd grade for cryin' out loud. She is not interested in looking sexy for a boy. I'm going to see how many other parents are on board with me. Maybe we can get together and all of us send our daughters & granddaughters to school with a skirt or skort on the first day. We'll call the local news station, hold signs "Girls should be allowed to be girls", maybe it will go national........
Okay. So this is a pet peeve of mine.

I work for a school, and everyday see parents circumventing the rules. Is this what you want to teach your children? That it's okay not to follow some rules simply because you don't agree with them? This is where the "special snowflake" mentality of some (I refuse to generalize) millennials started from - their parents. "I don't like this rule, so I'm just not gonna follow it."

One example of what I see everyday - We have a crosswalk in our parking lot. At arrival and dismissal times, some (not all) parents will walk their children across the lot in random places instead of using the crosswalk. Some even ignore the crossing guard's instruction and will just walk out in front of vehicles driving slowly through the parking lot because they just know the driver will stop (and they do). I guess they don't realize that some other parents think the "No cell phone use while driving through the school parking lot" rule doesn't apply to them.

But these parents are teaching their children it's okay to walk out into the parking lot, not in a designated crosswalk, with moving traffic and ignore someone telling you to stop so that cars can pass through.

School rules are typically for the good of the whole. You may not be privy to all of the reasons as to why this might be a good rule. (It's not smart to jump to conclusions such as they want "Girls to be like boys") And while you may not agree with those reasons, teach your children (or grandchildren) that even if they don't agree with the rule or understand why this or that is a rule, they still need to follow the rules.

And once they have an understanding of why a rule is in place, and they feel strongly enough to protest that rule, there is a proper way of going about it.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:16 PM

8,161 posts, read 6,059,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
When I was in the 2nd grade another kid told me the f-word was "fart," so, you know, grain of salt.
My 6 year old came home this year and told me all about the F word that rhymes with Truck.... Times have changed and kids know far more than they did many years ago.

I do not see the issue with girls being required to wear pants. It makes everyone uniform in their attire. No one says girls need to wear skirts and dresses. I never did. Still won't today.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:18 PM

8,161 posts, read 6,059,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's not the issue here, though. Grandma just wants the child to wear a skirt because she's a girl.
Which is precisely why grandparents should not be raising little children.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM

524 posts, read 578,118 times
It sounds like they are no longer allowing anything but pants for either gender. That sounds fair and gender neutral to me. I wouldn't have a problem if my daughter's school adopted such a policy. Now they allow skirts and shorts and fight lengths constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education