Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 01:39 PM

430 posts, read 336,677 times

Advertisements

I'm all for equal clothing and religion not being a huge part of public schools, but this is a 'too far' situation.

Note: I'm not religious whatsoever and, if I have kids, wouldn't want them sent to a school where (if religion is discussed) it's ONLY the Christian God, you better talk about all or none. I'm all for boys and girls being allowed to wear whatever the heck they wanted, within reason. But I'm not at all okay with a rule like 'you can ONLY wear pants' and you can't talk about religion period. There's a pretty distinct line between going too far and okay and this is just BS. I could understand a rule that stating both male and female students can't have their underwear showing (and issue highly addressed with female students and bra straps but barely addressed with male students showing their asses when sagging btw) and I 100% support a rule saying you can't force a student to pray OR deny a student their right to do so, something I noticed certain kids have done, when I tutored, and didn't mind because they did it and came back calmly and quietly. But this? This I don't understand at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
She must have been related to the one who informed our faculty that we should include the origin of Christmas in the history curriculum, because everyone should know history.
You know, my "junior high" (I know, an outdated term) did a unit on world religions in about 7th grade. This was in the early 60s. That was the first I had ever heard about Islam. My kids also had a unit on religions in one of their social studies classes in the early 00s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Which is precisely why grandparents should not be raising little children.
Because grandparents are old fashioned? Sorry, Charlie, I don't think this is an age thing. In any event, this is this one grandparent, not all grandparents.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
I'm all for equal clothing and religion not being a huge part of public schools, but this is a 'too far' situation.

Note: I'm not religious whatsoever and, if I have kids, wouldn't want them sent to a school where (if religion is discussed) it's ONLY the Christian God, you better talk about all or none. I'm all for boys and girls being allowed to wear whatever the heck they wanted, within reason. But I'm not at all okay with a rule like 'you can ONLY wear pants' and you can't talk about religion period. There's a pretty distinct line between going too far and okay and this is just BS. I could understand a rule that stating both male and female students can't have their underwear showing (and issue highly addressed with female students and bra straps but barely addressed with male students showing their asses when sagging btw) and I 100% support a rule saying you can't force a student to pray OR deny a student their right to do so, something I noticed certain kids have done, when I tutored, and didn't mind because they did it and came back calmly and quietly. But this? This I don't understand at all.
There is no rule saying you can't talk about religion, period. Apparently one child told another child not to talk about religion and OP exaggerated and claimed it was the school because they do have a rule that only non-religious songs are allowed in school concerts.

As for the uniforms, it's a charter school, where people have to specifically opt in. If something about the uniform or any other requirement is not to their liking, they are free to opt back out.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:59 PM

50,948 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Okay. So this is a pet peeve of mine.

I work for a school, and everyday see parents circumventing the rules. Is this what you want to teach your children? That it's okay not to follow some rules simply because you don't agree with them? This is where the "special snowflake" mentality of some (I refuse to generalize) millennials started from - their parents. "I don't like this rule, so I'm just not gonna follow it."

One example of what I see everyday - We have a crosswalk in our parking lot. At arrival and dismissal times, some (not all) parents will walk their children across the lot in random places instead of using the crosswalk. Some even ignore the crossing guard's instruction and will just walk out in front of vehicles driving slowly through the parking lot because they just know the driver will stop (and they do). I guess they don't realize that some other parents think the "No cell phone use while driving through the school parking lot" rule doesn't apply to them.

But these parents are teaching their children it's okay to walk out into the parking lot, not in a designated crosswalk, with moving traffic and ignore someone telling you to stop so that cars can pass through.

School rules are typically for the good of the whole. You may not be privy to all of the reasons as to why this might be a good rule. (It's not smart to jump to conclusions such as they want "Girls to be like boys") And while you may not agree with those reasons, teach your children (or grandchildren) that even if they don't agree with the rule or understand why this or that is a rule, they still need to follow the rules.

And once they have an understanding of why a rule is in place, and they feel strongly enough to protest that rule, there is a proper way of going about it.
I tend to agree with you.

When parents disagree with school policies, there are forums to address such issues: the PTA, your school board member or the entire school board, the superintendent, etc.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:03 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You know, my "junior high" (I know, an outdated term) did a unit on world religions in about 7th grade. This was in the early 60s. That was the first I had ever heard about Islam. My kids also had a unit on religions in one of their social studies classes in the early 00s.

Because grandparents are old fashioned? Sorry, Charlie, I don't think this is an age thing. In any event, this is this one grandparent, not all grandparents.
I'm all for teaching about world religions, especially as it pertains to history and geography. This is what school is for...learning. This is different from religious observances in schools. Unless you are prepared for little Ahmed to pray towards Mecca 5x a day in the hallway, don't expect Ahmed to participate in Christian prayers either.

This whole thread keeps making me think of the poor Duggar daughters who are forced to wear those long skirts from the time they're toddlers. How can they play in them?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm all for teaching about world religions, especially as it pertains to history and geography. This is what school is for...learning. This is different from religious observances in schools. Unless you are prepared for little Ahmed to pray towards Mecca 5x a day in the hallway, don't expect Ahmed to participate in Christian prayers either.

This whole thread keeps making me think of the poor Duggar daughters who are forced to wear those long skirts from the time they're toddlers. How can they play in them?
Well no one was talking about prayer in public schools, were they?

Old 06-28-2017, 03:32 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,337,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There is no rule saying you can't talk about religion, period.
Agreed.

Students can discuss religion in school. They can bring a Bible and read it during independent reading. We can't tell them "no" and there's no reason to do so. I get so annoyed by the social media memes that have the "Allow the Bible in school" or "Schools should recite the Pledge" themes. People see them and then there are a ton of comments about how schools shouldn't ban the Bible and should recite the Pledge. Of course there are many comments from people who state that we can't "ban the Bible" and that they do recite the Pledge, but those are largely ignored.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:44 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
However if the church requires the wearing of a skirt or any difference in dress between genders and the state steps in and says you must wear the clothing the church says you shouldn't that is not separation. That is using the power of the state to actively fight against the minority.
This school is attended by choice. It is not the local public school.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:42 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well no one was talking about prayer in public schools, were they?
If you go back to the original post, the OP references Christian Christmas observances. My own experience was about daily praying in public school...common accepted practice when I went to school.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM

48,577 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I would have no problem with it. It's school, a place for learning. She can wear other clothes outside of school. Our public schools require the school t-shirt to be worn, they don't care what's on the bottom (tropic climate). Though I haven't seen any of the middle school girls in skirts... so maybe they aren't allowed.

If it offended me, or was against my religion, I would send them to another school.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education