Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 07:12 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,111,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm Jewish too and I enjoy celebrating it with friends. But that's very different than a school aged child being expected to participate in overtly religious observances. That's what the OP was complaining about, not that Christmas is ignored completely but that they don't have religious songs in the school program.
I don't know of any public schools that, at least since 1989 when my first went to school, have any such "overtly religious observances". These concerts are not a church service! I really don't remember anything like that happening even when I was in third grade back in 1957! Many people have posted, many times, about "Winter" celebrations that included songs from other religions, and secular songs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 07:24 PM

51,217 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Excuse me, the fact that we use B.C. and A.D. is more about the West's dominance in politics than anything else. I could care less when Jesus was born. When half-a-billion people in the world are anything, including Buddhist, it's significant. And Jesus' followers have had little effect on much of Asia, and a disastrous effect on many counties. You're just Euro-centric and Christian-centric.

BEST POST!
Thank you, phetaroi.
Thank you!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 PM

51,217 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And Mohammed.
And any other major world religion.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:41 PM

5 posts, read 4,791 times
The answer must be "yes".

Old 06-30-2017, 05:55 AM

15,225 posts, read 10,409,514 times
Quote:
This child is being raised by the OTHER grandparents, not you.

The only reason for that is the OTHER grandparents live in the same city while we are 45 minutes away. They have a 5 bedroom house near her school, we are currently in a 2 bedroom apartment. It's a long story why she is there which I don't need to go into on here.

When we move my son will have the sole custody and the other grandparents will have visitation rights.

But if you read my most recent posts you will see that I decided to drop this for now as my granddaughter wants to stay in the school. However many other parents have been complaining about this policy, especially, as I mentioned, this is South Florida, not a cooler climate. Time will tell.

Thanks for always keeping things civil.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,929,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My granddaughter's school just sent the new 2017-2018 school Handbook. She is 8 and will be going into 3rd grade. Uniforms are mandatory. My granddaughter has been allowed to wear shorts, skorts, pants and skirts ever since starting there in kindergarten. Now the new handbook is saying that girls in the 3rd grade and up have to wear only pants. We are not too happy about this and neither is she. She hates wearing pants, doesn't even wear jeans. Why can't girls dress like girls? Why does she have to wear what the boys wear? Why can't she wear a jumper or a skirt just above the knee? Is this school (public charter school) trying to push some unisex agenda on the kids?

They also don't allow any type of religious songs in the Christmas show. Nothing but secular songs. I have sent an email to the school and am tempted to just send her to school in a jumper or skirt on the first day and see what happens. We are considering changing schools and are checking into the cost of a private school now. It's been a long time since I went to public school but I'm shocked at the changes. She was talking about her church event to one of the other kids and another one nearby chimed in saying we are not supposed to talk about the Lord. What the hell has happened in our schools? God is out, PC is in?

To those of you with girls would this bother you? Try and keep it civil folks. I'm not interested in comments about special snowflakes, etc. Notice I said we are talking about pulling her out of that school so you don't need to tell me to "just take her out".
It wouldn't bother me. I'd be angry if it girls couldn't wear shorts when it's hot outside and the boys could, but if it's a charter school and they want to have all kids dress the same, that seems fine.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,541,702 times
I'm mostly baffled by the requirement that undershirts must be the blue, red or gold. I don't understand the point of dictating the color of undershirts; particularly when the color of readily available undershirts is excluded. What is the downside/risk to the school for allowing white undershirts?

I get the no skirts thing (it makes it much easier for the school to enforce a unisex dress code) but, being in a warm climate, would think that appropriate-length shorts could be allowed.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,804,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Frankly, I think this dress code could be a nightmare to enforce.

Colors: What is "gold", or "royal blue"?
Belts: Already addressed
Undershirts: Red, gold, royal blue?
Shoes: What constitutes a "boot"? Crocs come in all sorts of styles now, and they're a brand name, not a type of shoe.
I don't see how. I suspect the colors are based on the school colors so pick shirts that are the same as the school colors.

As for shoes, I am not particularly familiar with crocs so I went to look at the website. The kids shoes all have that foam sole, and all but one have the foam upper. When skate shoes were a thing, our dress code said no heelies, despite it being a brand name, and no one tried to pretend they thought we meant the brand name only. As for boots, a boot has a shank that comes up above the ankle. Not sure why that is confusing.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:34 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,804,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The only reason for that is the OTHER grandparents live in the same city while we are 45 minutes away. They have a 5 bedroom house near her school, we are currently in a 2 bedroom apartment. It's a long story why she is there which I don't need to go into on here.

When we move my son will have the sole custody and the other grandparents will have visitation rights.

But if you read my most recent posts you will see that I decided to drop this for now as my granddaughter wants to stay in the school. However many other parents have been complaining about this policy, especially, as I mentioned, this is South Florida, not a cooler climate. Time will tell.

Thanks for always keeping things civil.
Then your son will be raising his child. You are no coparenting this child. There are many instances of grandparents parenting. Nothing you have described qualifies as such.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:00 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,111,670 times
Quote:
I don't see how. I suspect the colors are based on the school colors so pick shirts that are the same as the school colors.

As for shoes, I am not particularly familiar with crocs so I went to look at the website. The kids shoes all have that foam sole, and all but one have the foam upper. When skate shoes were a thing, our dress code said no heelies, despite it being a brand name, and no one tried to pretend they thought we meant the brand name only. As for boots, a boot has a shank that comes up above the ankle. Not sure why that is confusing.
So a kid comes to school with a blue shirt on. Just how do you determine it's "royal" blue. Lest you think there is some totally definitive answer, there isn't.

"Royal blue is both a bright shade and a dark shade of azure blue."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_blue

So there are two separate colors right there!

Here's more: https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1860&bih=906

Lots of different blues in there.

It would be up to the admin to decide when a shoe is a "boot". How high up the ankle before it's a boot and not a shoe. I could see some particularly argumentative kids giving an admin grief about that. What I mean about Crocs is that when they first came out, they were what some people call gardening shoes. Plastic slip-on clogs. Then they started expanding their line. Many crocs are indistiguishable from lotso of other shoes these days. Crocs Shoes and Accessories for Women - Crocs So do they mean no Crocs brand or no slip on rubber clogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education