Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 04:36 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Sweet Christ, high school kids go through hand sanitizer like **** goes through a goose. These are the same ones who have to sanitize their hands after they pick a pencil up off the floor but don't wash their hands after using the restroom (in fairness that's usually only from April on after the paper towels, soap and toilet paper have run out for the year, well except for the boys who rarely wash their hands).

As a side note, teaching is probably one of the few non-labor jobs, along with medicine, where you have to wash your hands before you go to the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 04:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
one of my sons teachers when he was in first grade took all the new supplies from all the kids and emptied them into a big bin and my son came home and told me this . I marched straight up to that school and raised total heck and told the teacher and the principal both , that was stealing in my opinion when some parents bought the bare minimum in other words cheap stuff and some parents bought the name brand stuff . I told her to return my sons things and we would find a different teacher for him . That was the last year he was in public school . The following years my kids went to catholic school .
Seems like an over reaction. I'm amazed at the greed of some people.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:46 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Because when you remove the emotional response, it's not a very good read and it does a disservice to the many causes and impacts of the war. Sure, the student gets an emotional impact from reading it, but afterward is left with no more understanding than before, essentially substituting a feeling for learning. And if we do not learn from history, we will get to relive it.
And the teacher will provide absolutely no context for it?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Then change the teaching methods! Find ways to teach without crayons, glue, etc. Fold paper boats out of old newspapers, or something.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/q...cke129796.html

The issue was pencils, BTW, not crayons or glue. Kinda hard to teach writing w/o a writing instrument of some sort. I suppose you recommend dumpster-diving again?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:52 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,187 times
In today's news, a 3rd grade teacher in Oklahoma was videotaped on the street with a sign asking for donations for her students' school supplies. At the time she had raised $625 of her $2000 goal!

Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 PM

102 posts, read 101,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Sweet Christ, high school kids go through hand sanitizer like **** goes through a goose. These are the same ones who have to sanitize their hands after they pick a pencil up off the floor but don't wash their hands after using the restroom (in fairness that's usually only from April on after the paper towels, soap and toilet paper have run out for the year, well except for the boys who rarely wash their hands).
That was me lol--except I always washed my hands after going to the bathroom too, of course. I'm a bit of a germaphobe. Schools are so dirty. I'd drop a pen on the ground, pick it up a split second later, and it'd be covered with dust. Ick.

Of course, hand sanitizer is also a life-saver if the bathrooms are out of soap.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The issue was pencils, BTW, not crayons or glue. Kinda hard to teach writing w/o a writing instrument of some sort. I suppose you recommend dumpster-diving again?
All right, I guess I'll do a brief mea culpa here.

Pencils are essential enough that it's impossible to teach without them. I'd add pens, paper/notebooks, and folders into that category as well. Include chalk and red pens for teachers as well. (I'm factoring in only consumable supplies, not things like textbooks.) But even so, parents shouldn't have to supply 40 pencils each, like some classrooms require. Because when students---or teachers, for that matter---know there's an "unlimited" stock, they throw out a perfectly good pencil when the tip breaks. Because they can't be arsed to sharpen it or because they "don't want to run a noisy sharpener". That's like buying a new car when your turn signal burned out.

Other than the "essential" supplies, the rule needs to be this: if you can't afford something, make your own, make do, or do without. For example, if you don't have glue and construction paper for teaching word order, instead of "requesting" it from parents, teach word order by arranging cardboard rectangles with words on them, made by cutting up the box the superintendent's new TV came in. Barring that, just write words on the chalkboard, and be done with it. Unless, of course, some lobbyist banned ad-hoc materials in teaching, because "somebody think of the children!"

Even though, none of this affects me, a childfree person, I'm disgusted at how corrupt the school supply racket has become.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:14 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Quote:

Other than the "essential" supplies, the rule needs to be this: make your own, make do, or do without. For example, if you don't have glue and construction paper for teaching word order, instead of "requesting" it from parents, teach word order by arranging cardboard rectangles with words on them, made by cutting up the box the superintendent's new TV came in.
The system won't let me rep you right now, but this is my frugal thinking, as well.

Unfortunately a lot of jobs in some districts are a game, the same as in the corporate world. You get evaluated, sometimes unfairly, you're forced to get creative -- some excel, some fall down -- and at the end of the day you are accountable for producing results, and those results may not make your many bosses happy.

It's not just teaching. That's how a lot of jobs are today.

If you're smart and lucky, you find a fair system where your efforts matter and life isn't always about scrounging supplies, writing reports to third parties, or the gazillion things that have nothing to do with teaching.

I appreciate this thread. It's gotten me thinking about a lot of things I've been taking for granted.

Added:

Oh, and I can walk through nearly any college campus and come up with 20 - 30 pens and pencils that have been left in classrooms, not to mention boxes of perfectly good paper that has been discarded.

I once did that at Eastern Michigan University and turned in my gleanings to an inner city Detroit teacher who was thrilled to have them.

Waste is a topic for another day . . . but I've never had any problems finding lots of free, basic supplies -- in the US.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And the teacher will provide absolutely no context for it?
That is correct. You sound surprised.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
All right, I guess I'll do a brief mea culpa here.

Pencils are essential enough that it's impossible to teach without them. I'd add pens, paper/notebooks, and folders into that category as well. Include chalk and red pens for teachers as well. (I'm factoring in only consumable supplies, not things like textbooks.) But even so, parents shouldn't have to supply 40 pencils each, like some classrooms require. Because when students---or teachers, for that matter---know there's an "unlimited" stock, they throw out a perfectly good pencil when the tip breaks. Because they can't be arsed to sharpen it or because they "don't want to run a noisy sharpener". That's like buying a new car when your turn signal burned out.

Other than the "essential" supplies, the rule needs to be this: if you can't afford something, make your own, make do, or do without. For example, if you don't have glue and construction paper for teaching word order, instead of "requesting" it from parents, teach word order by arranging cardboard rectangles with words on them, made by cutting up the box the superintendent's new TV came in. Barring that, just write words on the chalkboard, and be done with it. Unless, of course, some lobbyist banned ad-hoc materials in teaching, because "somebody think of the children!"

Even though, none of this affects me, a childfree person, I'm disgusted at how corrupt the school supply racket has become.
Are you going to cut the box up and make them for me? Make sure you make a differentiated class set because not every student gets the same words. Oh and it's a different words each week, so I hope you have good scissors. We have a lot of features to cover, so get busy because 1 box won't cover the year.

You're disgusted by the school supply racket? I'm disgusted that people expect teachers, and schools, to provide everything. My parents would have never sent me to school without supplies, and they made sure to send more throughout the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education