Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:30 PM

25 posts, read 16,560 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me if any teacher benefits from having many special education students in their class? This is in terms of federal/state funding and/or bonuses. The same question about having problematic kids in a classroom. Thanks!

Last edited by fairlady21; 09-23-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 03:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlady21 View Post
Can you tell me if any teacher benefits from having many special education students in their class? This is in terms of federal/state funding. The same question about having problematic kids in a classroom. Thanks!
No. There have been districts that have paid a special stipend to teachers that are certified in the area and willing to teach the most profoundly disabled or the most serious emotional/behavioral disabled in a self-contained classroom, but even that isn't common. But, no, a regular classroom teacher does not get paid extra for having special education students.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:56 PM

How about districts then?

Old 09-23-2017, 04:06 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
How about districts then?
It cost them more to educate special education students than they receive from the federal government (15% of the actual cost) or the state (between 15-55%). It is up to the district to pay the other 30-70%. Special education costs have almost bankrupted a few school districts.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Individual teachers do not get extra money, no.

The school district as a whole can often get extra funding for high-need students, because they incur extra expenses (e.g. an ASL translator, health aide, specialized curricula, etc). My impression is that it seldom covers the real expense to the district, though.

Some districts pay a bonus to teachers of more difficult-to-recruit subject areas, such as STEM or SpEd. (This isn't a widespread practice.) It is not on a per-student basis, though, it's a set bonus. You don't get it for having SpEd students, certainly not on a per-capita basis, you get it for being a licensed SpEd teacher teaching SpEd classes.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Individual teachers do not get extra money, no.

The school district as a whole can often get extra funding for high-need students, because they incur extra expenses (e.g. an ASL translator, health aide, specialized curricula, etc). My impression is that it seldom covers the real expense to the district, though.

Some districts pay a bonus to teachers of more difficult-to-recruit subject areas, such as STEM or SpEd. (This isn't a widespread practice.) It is not on a per-student basis, though, it's a set bonus. You don't get it for having SpEd students, certainly not on a per-capita basis, you get it for being a licensed SpEd teacher teaching SpEd classes.
Hm, can you share more on the STEM here please?

Old 09-23-2017, 04:39 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Not much to elaborate. Occasionally, districts will pay a bonus (either yearly, or one-time upon hire) to teachers of certain content areas. This generally only happens if there's both a significant shortage of and a high demand for those teachers in the region, so they're competing with other districts to recruit those personnel.

As nationwide there's a trend of cutting positions, not adding them, now there are generally many more qualified applicants than positions available for most teaching jobs, including those that used to be more difficult to find, like advanced math and sciences. So this practice is not very common.

I'd actually be wary of such bonuses because they suggest the school might be having difficult hiring and retaining teachers.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Quote:
Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics

If you’re looking into a career choice picking based on possible extra pay isn’t the way to go.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:05 PM

No no, I need to know more about why a certain district would benefit from having a large quantity of special education students.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
No no, I need to know more about why a certain district would benefit from having a large quantity of special education students.
They don't. Some moron.......excuse me, individuals think having a bunch of SPED students is the key to the bank safe. It isn't

Start doing the numbers that OldHag gave you. Do a baseline using $15K/student average then start inputting the SPED costs she gave you.

An out of system boarding placement for ED runs about $200K/year. It only takes five of those to hit a million dollars. Some larger systems have hundreds of those placements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education