Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

Have any of you been to the "Writing" forum on CD?

The sub forum " I can't take it anymore. Part 2" will open your eyes. It is a forum making fun of misspelled words and horrible grammar. It's quite funny to read the comments.

BTW: If you don't give a crap how you spell or form a sentence, maybe you'll find one of your own posts on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
actually, if she had neuropathy, she would feel badly. nyuck nyuck
True!

Old 10-15-2017, 08:37 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Have any of you been to the "Writing" forum on CD?

The sub forum " I can't take it anymore. Part 2" will open your eyes. It is a forum making fun of misspelled words and horrible grammar. It's quite funny to read the comments.

BTW: If you don't give a crap how you spell or form a sentence, maybe you'll find one of your own posts on there.
Sounds toxic.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:40 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i find it weird when humans say things like "pierre and myself will lead the presentation". maybe they think it makes them sound smarter.
It's like nails on a chalkboard. Another one is "Between you and I." They seem to think that using the nominative case makes them sound more intelligent.

Actually, if anything, it makes them sound dumb.

Yes, it is important to speak and write correctly. It's not based upon any regional accent someone may have. It's based upon acceptable English usage. In school we had to diagram sentences and I liked it--although I can imagine why so many found it tedious. But it wasn't until I started to learn a foreign language that English grammar really started to sink in and make sense.

The kid may not hear standard English at home but at least if they hear it from their teachers they will have heard standard English spoken. There's some degree of chance that they will remember some of it and not speak poor English when they are grown up and out in the working world.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:43 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,840 times
Quote:
Any city and any place in an English speaking country for the PEOPLE WHO ARE INTELLIGENT AND CARE to preserve the English language. That's where.

It is truly pitiful when members from other countries learn and speak (as a second language) better English than predominantly English speaking countries.
And why should the current version of english be preserved? Chaucer's English wasn't preserved. Shakespeare's English wasn't either. Languages change and anyone interested in language should know that.

As for your comments about intelligence and caring please check out the videos I linked a few posts back. If you care you might learn something.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
And why should the current version of english be preserved? Chaucer's English wasn't preserved. Shakespeare's English wasn't either. Languages change and anyone interested in language should know that.

As for your comments about intelligence and caring please check out the videos I linked a few posts back. If you care you might learn something.
Well if you think that y'all and yous and "I seen" sounds better, then you go for it.

I'll check out your links. Maybe I'll learn something

Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Quote:
Well I certainly disagree with what you wrote (highlighted above).
Well, it certainly wasn't written by me, but rather by Professor (and Dean) Michelle Navarre Cleary of DePaul University. And to keep in the spirit pf things, here are some other materials that were not written by me...

Bad or Badly

Old 10-16-2017, 06:52 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
people is incorrect vernacular; in formal writing, persons is correct usage.
But not when speaking collectively, as in referencing the French as a people, or the many peoples of the South Seas islands.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Any city and any place in an English speaking country for the PEOPLE WHO ARE INTELLIGENT AND CARE to preserve the English language. That's where.

It is truly pitiful when members from other countries learn and speak (as a second language) better English than predominantly English speaking countries.
You missed the point. "Better" is in the eye of the beholder and is not remotely objective.

Language is a living thing, it changes. Over long periods of time, slang becomes "better" English.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Well I certainly disagree with what you wrote (highlighted above)

IMO, WHATEVER they are teaching today sure as heck isn't working. Is it? Grammar, spelling and proper English are worse now than they have ever been.

I've seen beautiful web pages with wonderful stories, recipes, poems, etc. and IMO, the poor spelling and improper grammar just ruins them. I just shake my head at the incompetence or carelessness of the author/web page designer.
Carelessness is not the same thing as not being taught or learning something. The differences in mistakes in published work is entirely due to the shifts in publication, specifically the lack of copy editing, for most works. People before were not inherently better at spelling and grammar, they just had people whose entire job was to go behind them and fix their mistakes.

And just to be clear, people from 100 years ago would thing your English is not proper. In fact whinging about poor grammar, slang usage, etc is a sign one is in a different generation than those one is complaining about.

The bottom line is can you communicate effectively. If the answer is yes, than just make sure you use spell check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education