Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think it's telling that the "Worst Teacher You Ever Had?" thread is far lengthier than this one.

Give it a chance, I think it will catch up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Nuns, grades 1-8. Christian Brothers, grades 9-12. This was 1950-62.

Both were far superior to college instructors.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
I've had a lot of good teachers and instructors, but the one that stands out for me was my second grade teacher. I had HATED kindergarten and first grade, and I went to second grade prepared to hate that too. I refused to participate in anything or talk to anyone. A lot of teachers would have responded in a confrontational or coercive way, but she just killed me with kindness. Probably changed the whole trajectory of my school experience, really.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Give it a chance, I think it will catch up.

Only because they shut that thread down.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Several good teachers, my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Sutton, recognized my talents in science, and helped me with math (I was retarded in math because most of my teachers up till 4th grade didn't really understand even elementary math. You can't teach what you don't know). 5th grade Mr. Perry, a great big tall guy, who would occasionally dress up in a kilt and all the fixings and play the bagpipe. Probably it was against the rules or at least outside the approved curriculum, but he showed us films about hunting and fishing, and general outdoor lore. That got me started on those topics. He tutored a few of us over a few recess periods on how to use a slide rule. A really cool guy.

More later. Probably the greatest of all was Dr. Raphael, my senior year prof in Physics, and my advisor. I was the only Physics major at the small liberal arts school I graduated from, and he basically one-on-one tutored me through those last few senior level courses. And Dr. Mosher, who guided me through differential equations, he was one of the very few professors who were excellent with both gifted and struggling students. Ended up being Outstanding Graduate for the Science division of the school, I didn't get there by myself.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
I think it's telling that the "Worst Teacher You Ever Had?" thread is far lengthier than this one.
not surprising... along the lines of; "Ever think about useless information in school?" Was thinking of the excess waste of US public schools when we were using hundreds of ABQ public school buses this weekend at Balloon Fiesta. ABQ is not such a big place, yet...;
Albuquerque Public Schools - Student Transportation Services, safely transported 40,019 students to and from school, averaging 31,965 miles daily, with an annual mileage of 5,689,823 in school year 2017-2018.
as a taxpayer ($20K+ / yr) homeschooler ( not leaching on pubic services) and daily volunteer at Public Schools...
imagine:
  1. No Buses
  2. No School buildings or staff...
  3. No administrators
  4. And no "Worst" (or best) PS teachers.
  5. Better yet (and more effective) .. no politicians!

I have found excellent Public School programs in other countries very efficient, and students actually learning and able to productively join the workforce upon graduation! (Very few other countries use 'dedicated' School buses)

My USA student hires sit around on their thumbs waiting for instruction, just as they have spent 16 yrs in 'conditioning'.

"Best" teachers would be those breaking this mold!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-15-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Several good teachers, my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Sutton, recognized my talents in science, and helped me with math (I was retarded in math because most of my teachers up till 4th grade didn't really understand even elementary math. You can't teach what you don't know). 5th grade Mr. Perry, a great big tall guy, who would occasionally dress up in a kilt and all the fixings and play the bagpipe. Probably it was against the rules or at least outside the approved curriculum, but he showed us films about hunting and fishing, and general outdoor lore. That got me started on those topics. He tutored a few of us over a few recess periods on how to use a slide rule. A really cool guy.

More later. Probably the greatest of all was Dr. Raphael, my senior year prof in Physics, and my advisor. I was the only Physics major at the small liberal arts school I graduated from, and he basically one-on-one tutored me through those last few senior level courses. And Dr. Mosher, who guided me through differential equations, he was one of the very few professors who were excellent with both gifted and struggling students. Ended up being Outstanding Graduate for the Science division of the school, I didn't get there by myself.

To fill in between teachers I have already mentioned, I'd like to mention Mr. Miller, who was my 6th and 7th grade "home room" teacher. An older guy who had already had one career in industry (I forget or never knew what he did before), he was just an all-around great guy who provided by example "how to be a mensch". A lot of real-world wisdom from this guy.

8th grade or so, Ms. Mehlinger (sp?) who introduced me to chemistry, more or less.

There were a few more, but these were people I had for only one class, and I don't recall their names.

Although, really, the gold medals go to SSG Johnson USMC, and SGT Clarke USMC, who presided over my boot camp at Pensacola, yeah, those guys taught me a Hell of a lot. In a few weeks they did more than all my high school teachers and my parents had done up to that point. Mostly, they taught me that I had more grit in me, than I had ever suspected. Yeah, I do remember these guys. Where-ever you are, Semper Fi!

Old 10-15-2018, 07:07 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,458,844 times
1st grade teacher who recognized my ability to read proficiently and moved me up to advanced English class or perhaps she felt bad for not believing me when I raised my hand and asked to use the lav.

Tenth grade History teacher who made history entertaining with his impressions of Cortez slicing through the underbrush looking for the lost city of gold or letting us act out historic events in front of class like a game of charades for rest of class (classmate and I reenacted the infamous Dempsey Tunney 'long count' fight).

H.S. English teacher who mostly taught basic Grammar. He had a grip he'd give you on your shoulder to keep you awake or get your attention. Was like a drill instructor and had a habit of stroking his white beard in consternation or deep thought.

Undergrad Communication prof who was a political communication subject matter expert wrote books on mass communication (presidential debates) and consulted for many politicians. One of those good ones whom you just take all his classes he taught because you learn a lot of how things work in real life.

Department chair of Business Administration of the graduate school I attended. Long time private sector (Abbott Labs etc) and then went into teaching. He was over 70 by then and had a lot of wisdom to share outside the book instruction if you could understand his weakening German accent.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:18 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Harder to pick out the worst because there were so many to pick from. My list of best teachers would fit on one hand.

The best K-12 was Ms L, senior English. She made the classics make sense by putting them into terms we could understand and relate to. Plus she used the unedited versions where you got the whole story and not just the sanitized version.

But the best ever was Dr G, my freshman physics prof. He was the classic professor right down to how he dressed. Much like Prof Kingsfield from Paper Chase. Called everyone in the class Mr and Ms which was a level of respect from a teacher none of us had ever experienced. He had incredibly high standards for performance, yet somehow he motivated you to reach them. No one wanted to let him down. Learned more under him than any other teacher, school or college.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:07 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I've had a number of mentors through the years of my education. In the early years I didn't even realize I was being watched over until much later in life.

Everyone loved Mrs. Berg in sixth grade. She was such a kind and gentle person and an excellent teacher.

I had the best surprise about two years ago when she called me. It was the first time we'd spoke in over fifty years. She told me she was nearing end of life and was calling all the people that she remembered as good students. Then she went on to list a few things she appreciated about me then.

Can you imagine a teacher doing this? It was quite a gift out of the blue and a definite sign of a teacher who cared.

I went through a rough spell around 14-15 years (who doesn't?) and I had an English teacher take me under her wing but she was so subtle about it that I didn't recognize it at the time. She asked me to come to work for her in the library a certain amount of time a week and always made time for a little small talk. Looking back I think that was supposed to be my opening if I wanted to get anything off my chest.

And the shop teacher, of all people, took an interest in me and would catch me in the hall to engage me in a back-and-forth of puns or some other verbal entertainment. He even invited me to his home (his wife was my home ed. teacher) to show me all they had done to decorate their home.

It's funny to me how many things I didn't notice as a child that, looking back on, I realize were formative and supportive experiences.

When I went back for my Masters Degree a health teacher formed a friendship with me and helped boost me through the program. There have been a few outstandingly poor teachers but in general I think I have been lucky to have a good education. Seems I've always had someone willing to go the extra mile with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education