Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 08:43 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've always thought of HR as an agent of the company, not the other way around. IOW, HR should take their cues from those who actually run the company rather than deciding what is best for the company. If I own a graphic design company, I want someone who is creative, talented, innovative and has a proven history of creating great designs and copy. I do not care if that person has a degree. But then HR comes along and says, "No, they need to have a degree" that is actually hurting the pool of possible candidates because it's filtering out a whole lot of creatives who never needed schooling in the first place. See what I mean?
What HR is doing in that regard is protecting the company from legal action. But there has to be a more intelligent way to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well one, you'd avoid that debt as soon as you start out on your own. That in and of itself is a major plus. And two, with social security and pensions (private and public sectors) being so unstable, having a four to six year head start on earning potential would be quite helpful as well.
With the almost assured probability of lower lifetime earnings and higher unemployment. Someone with a BS can make up for those 4 years easily with the higher earnings and less UE. Always so glad I saved this:
https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unempl...-education.htm

Old 11-27-2018, 08:50 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What HR is doing in that regard is protecting the company from legal action. But there has to be a more intelligent way to do that.
Is it illegal to hire someone without a degree?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Is it illegal to hire someone without a degree?
Not just the degree issue itself, but the totality of their policies is for company protection. Set a detailed policy, run it by legal, never vary from it.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
Quote:
Not just the degree issue itself, but the totality of their policies is for company protection. Set a detailed policy, run it by legal, never vary from it.
They vary from it when it comes to nepotism.

I've seen tons of unqualified people get jobs in corporate and legal. People with only a high school diploma and even criminal records.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
With the almost assured probability of lower lifetime earnings and higher unemployment. Someone with a BS can make up for those 4 years easily with the higher earnings and less UE. Always so glad I saved this:
https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unempl...-education.htm
Most kids are never going to get a BS.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They vary from it when it comes to nepotism.

I've seen tons of unqualified people get jobs in corporate and legal. People with only a high school diploma and even criminal records.
You realize "nepotism" and "unqualified" are not synonyms, right?

And "only a high school diploma" is not synonymous with "nepotism" either.

And "they hired someone instead of me" is also not synonymous with "nepotism."

Why shouldn't people with high school diplomas and even criminal records ever get hired?

Old 11-27-2018, 09:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Most kids are never going to get a BS.
Around 30% do now, and despite what you think but can't document, that number is going up. "The trades" require post secondary education as well, in almost every instance. There is practically nothing one can make a career in with solely a high school diploma.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:02 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
Around 30% do now, and despite what you think but can't document, that number is going up. "The trades" require post secondary education as well, in almost every instance. There is practically nothing one can make a career in with solely a high school diploma.
Because it was decided as so for purposes of profit to push everyone to four year college. Not because it is correct or practical. My old tech company loved to train people from the ground up. You could come in as a temp in the stockroom or data entry and go where ever in the company from there. It seemed to work quite well, as employees were very motivated and loyal to the company that supported them and helped them build real skills and careers.

It worked and created productive enthusiastic employees, so that must be a bad thing in today's workplace.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Strawman argument.

I've never argued "solely a high school diploma." I've argued that high school should have available a "tech-prep" curriculum that would prepare a kid for advanced technical training and certification after high school.

And, btw, 30% is a significant minority. Why not serve the majority? Why not make serving the majority a priority, in fact?

Moreover, society does not need any more than about 30% with bachelor's degrees. It needs a lot more people who know how to build and maintain things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education