Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 08:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Considering how low the requirements for graduation are, I'd be concerned that anyone not bright enough to meet them would also be a hazard to themselves and others in a Vo-Tech program if a high school still had one.
Many high schools have Vo-tech options for students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 10:35 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,309,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I'll take it one step further; advanced algebra (or maybe any algebra) shouldn't be required in HS, but rather an elective for people planning to go into the the tech field, or engineering.But likewise, literature shouldn't be required, either. What's the point of 4 years of literature? There are other ways to teach writing skills, and besides, most "English" teachers don't teach advanced grammar and writing, anyway. IDK why they even call it "English", since the courses are about literature. I think advanced grammar & writing is a lot more practical as prep for college (and even entry-level office jobs), than literature, so maybe schools should focus on that.

So, what does that leave us with, for a HS curriculum? Well, it would leave more time for science. I think everyone should have a good grounding in Anatomy & Physiology, and basic atmospheric science concepts. These wouldn't be lab science classes, so, not that hard (though there some chemistry involved in each), but highly educational. People should know how their bodies and the planet work.

Anyone else have any ideas to contribute? IDK what use geometry is either, particularly, but I enjoyed it and did well at it, so maybe they could keep that in the curriculum. lol

Without a solid foundation in math - including algebra - science needs to be watered down. It becomes, "This is how it is because I say so." We get enough of that with the "science" politicians push.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:37 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,309,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
98% of the math I use professionally is geometry (2% algebra and basic arithmetic)

Radius, diameters, circumference of circles. Arc lengths, arc degrees. x% slope is y/z rise over run. That's a lot of my job

Slope is the big one - a 5% grade ramp is ADA legal, and the rise on this ramp is 12", how long do I have to make it...

Slope is a big topic in Algebra 1.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:22 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,249,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Is this a serious statement?

What kind of "career in a field INSIDE of academics" do you think is available to someone who can't even pass high school algebra?
None. But there are plenty of jobs that don't require any abstract math at all. As I said earlier, in the past it was possible to graduate with 18 credits including two credits of math--general math and consumer or business math. Now algebra is required as one of four credits in math and 24 credits total. At one point, our district even required algebra 2 for graduation. I can't see why everyone needs to know how to calculate the equations for conic sections or reduce rational expressions.

So do you think that students with mild cognitive disabilities should have to pass a state algebra test to get a diploma like they do in my state? If not, what do you think the alternative should be? Our state does offer an alternative diploma, but in our school it is reserved for the students with severe disabilities such as being non-verbal.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:49 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,925,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Many high schools have Vo-tech options for students.
In New England, there are entire high schools that are only vocational. There are 38 in Mass alone - most serve geographic areas, but Boston, Springfield and Worcester have vocational schools for their cities.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:10 AM

12,888 posts, read 9,123,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post

So do you think that students with mild cognitive disabilities should have to pass a state algebra test to get a diploma like they do in my state? ....
Yes, if the diploma is to mean anything, everyone should have to meet the same standards. Otherwise it becomes just a participation trophy and will mean the same as any other participation trophy-- nothing. The only ones fooled by participation trophy are parents. Even kids over 6 playing soccer know the difference.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:25 AM

464 posts, read 203,486 times
Shuckkkk Yes it should *DEFINITELY* be a requirement for HS graduation!

Algebra, IMO, serves as a basis for teaching children how to think. You also need Liberal Arts such as History, Sociology, Philosophy and Fine Arts...but Basic Algebra gets areas of the brain working in ways those other subjects can't.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:02 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,249,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, if the diploma is to mean anything, everyone should have to meet the same standards. Otherwise it becomes just a participation trophy and will mean the same as any other participation trophy-- nothing. The only ones fooled by participation trophy are parents. Even kids over 6 playing soccer know the difference.
Are you saying that the diplomas from the past don't mean anything? I graduated with 18 credits. Now 24 are required. My diploma required two math credits--general math and business or consumer math. Now 4 math credits are required along with four state tests in the core subject areas. My point is that the standards have changed, locking out low-performers from being able to earn a key credential.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Are you saying that the diplomas from the past don't mean anything? I graduated with 18 credits. Now 24 are required. My diploma required two math credits--general math and business or consumer math. Now 4 math credits are required along with four state tests in the core subject areas. My point is that the standards have changed, locking out low-performers from being able to earn a key credential.
"Credits" mean different things in different school districts. In my district, a one semester, daily course is 5 credits, a year long such course 10 credits. So the above is kind of meaningless, except to say that they increased the requirements by 33%.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:36 AM

102,259 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, when I was in high school we had 10th grade Biology which covers anatomy & physiology if taught correctly, and we had 9th grade "Earth Science" which might be called geology or geography - basically it was geology, astronomy, and meteorology which would pretty much cover "basic atmospheric science". I assume other standard HS curricula require these courses.
"Require", or have them as science electives? I don't recall if my biology course had a chapter on A & P; big whoop--one. chapter. Even two or three wouldn't be enough to cover the topic adequately. But there was no Earth science course. But let's go with your experience, and assume it was fairly common. If that's true, then why do so many people cry "woo. woo"/fake science when anyone uses the term "ion"? An awful lot of people out there misidentify scientific info as pseudo-science. Same with certain topics in A & P; if you say anything about the electrical properties of the body, people call it pseudo-science. That's sad, and a little bewildering. Maybe a lot of people weren't paying attention in their HS science courses, and didn't truly absorb the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education