Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 09:31 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times

Advertisements

People!
PLEASE, stop seeing world in colors and start seeing world in one and only - HUMANITY. This is how much it's brainwashed, we do no see human being past the skin tone anymore.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:19 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Here is an interesting take on merit in buddhism

https://tricycle.org/beginners/buddhism/what-is-merit/

Outside of the West, the primary practice of Buddhists around the world is not meditation but the cultivation of merit (Skt., punya; Pali, punna), an intangible product of good actions that will deliver beneficial results in the future. Earning merit is of primary importance to many Buddhists, and its creation and transfer are central to the traditional relationship between the laity and monastics. Buddhist teachings hold that merit-earning activities improve both the individual and the wider world.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:19 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have been hearing the argument that standardized tests are racist or culturally biased for several decades now.
A friend was a 5th grade teacher in Hawaii, and he hated standardized tests.
Sample question: What season do the leaves turn red?
Hawaii answer: Mango season.

Because "fall colors" are spectacular in the northern US, but unknown in Hawaii. And new mango leaves are a bright pinkish red.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:24 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
San Francisco says it all. It’s the same mentality that yields needles and feces on SF streets.

Life isn’t fair for everyone and you can’t legislate absolute equality.
Right?

I think OP asked the question in good faith. Or, it's clever rhetoric and I'm missing the boat. I'll answer it prima facie:

The answer is that "Critical Race Theory" is complete intellectual gangsterism, itself racist at the core while falsely accusing others of-same. That such garbage, including "the 1619 Project" can be taught with a straight face shows you exactly where the educational system is these days.

Taken to its natural conclusion, at minimum we end up with a Venezuela or Cuba. At worst, the Soviet Union. Always contemptible, always putrid, and most importantly always backed end of the day by military force and an "Interior Police" of some kind to force "equal outcomes". With a group of elites who "know what is best for the people." Time for that to turn around, this thinking isn't what this nation is fundamentally about.

Enough said...

Old 10-24-2020, 01:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Right?

I think OP asked the question in good faith. Or, it's clever rhetoric and I'm missing the boat. I'll answer it prima facie:

The answer is that "Critical Race Theory" is complete intellectual gangsterism, itself racist at the core while falsely accusing others of-same. That such garbage, including "the 1619 Project" can be taught with a straight face shows you exactly where the educational system is these days.

Taken to its natural conclusion, at minimum we end up with a Venezuela or Cuba. At worst, the Soviet Union. Always contemptible, always putrid, and most importantly always backed end of the day by military force and an "Interior Police" of some kind to force "equal outcomes". With a group of elites who "know what is best for the people." Time for that to turn around, this thinking isn't what this nation is fundamentally about.

Enough said...
What the approaches recommended by the person tweeting in OP’s post do is to create a race to the lowest common denominator. While it might be socially “nice” and inoffensive, it will also hurt the US as we get passed by other countries for innovation and excellence.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:53 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

You mean, that wasn't what it was about when this country was founded...but that's where we're headed, straight up Schitt's Creek in a screen-bottomed paper canoe. I can read the writing on the wall, even if no one else wants to see it. It doesn't matter if you take the left road or the right road, they both end up at the same place.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:07 AM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
[SIZE=2]Alison Collins: Board of Education Commissioner @SFUnified tweeted:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

"Please be mindful that 'merit' is an inherently racist construct designed and centered on white supremacist framing that justifies who IS and ISN’T worthy of education, safety, justice, empathy... basically humanity."
https://twitter.com/AliMCollins/stat...90352020729856

I've read the paper she references, as well as other commentators on the same paper, and I still don't get it.

It seems to me like they are using "merit" incorrectly.

I just don't understand what remedy these educators are looking for.

They are looking to blame others for their failure (as a group) to achieve scholastic equality by forging a delusionary ideology (e.g. redefining 'merit') to support their desired narrative that but for the biased system everyone is intellectually equal.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:51 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
A friend was a 5th grade teacher in Hawaii, and he hated standardized tests.
Sample question: What season do the leaves turn red?
Hawaii answer: Mango season.

Because "fall colors" are spectacular in the northern US, but unknown in Hawaii. And new mango leaves are a bright pinkish red.
Oh, please. Fall colors are not "unknown in Hawaii" any more than surfboards are "unknown in Utah".

There may be a case for having regional versions of standardized tests, but that ain't it.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:57 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
This nonsense of "merit is racist", being on time for work is racist, and speaking with proper grammar is racist, is just plain nuts.

I've heard that a lot of black people are insulted by these notions that only whites, Asians, and Latinos can be on time for work, etc. and I don't blame them on e bit.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
To the left: if there are problems with standardized tests then fix the test rather than going to lottery drawings for enrollment.

To the right: if there are problems with mail in voting then fix those problems rather than trying to restrict access to voting.

It's getting old seeing both sides try to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I agree standardized tests do have problems, most of them are also fixable. I am not a fan of judging schools based on test scores because my experience was attending terrible chaotic schools that had good reputations based on test scores. I probably did great on the yearly tests because my household had college educated people, we had home internet in the late 1990s. But my K - 12 education threw me far behind what I could be today. Education should be judged on maximizing potential. If a school takes a kid that started out being totally unemployable but they end up able to be a manager at McDonald's that is great, not bad. If someone had potential to be a mover / shaker and get a master's or ph.d but end up with a marginal bachelor's degree that's bad, not good. But school rankings include 'percent that moved on to college' as the sole goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education