Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 03:34 PM

16 posts, read 60,398 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else out there have any experience with procrastination, but only when it comes to academics? I've always procrastinated when it comes to schoolwork, for as long as I can remember. I'm now middle-aged and returned to school 3 years to study a subject I truly love. I couldn't be more confident that I've made the right life decision - yet the procrastination continues. Someone once asked me if it's because I'm a bad student - no: I have a 4.0 GPA. But the procrastination continues! I think it's odd that I should continue to procrastinate in only one area of my life, an area that I excel at.

Just wondering if anyone else has or has had a similar experience. Suggestions other than Just Do It would also be much appreciated (since I tell myself that all the time, already ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 04:32 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,446 times
Wish I had advice for you -- I'm in the same boat! Supposed to be working on my thesis this weekend and haven't even gathered my research stuff yet....maybe tomorrow....

Old 05-03-2008, 04:35 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
*I* think of myself as a procrastinator but it's not nearly as bad as most students. Honestly, if I wait til the last minute to do a paper, it WILL be horrible. I need a few days to let a paper sit and reread to catch awkward phrasing and typos. I also really value my sleep. :P It's finals time and I have 4 paper due and 2 finals. I started all of the papers at least a week in advance but the night before the paper was due, I saw several people in my classes who hadn't even started then! It if works for you, then great. Some people thrive by putting the stress on themselves. I don't. :P

I don't really have any suggestions. I just remind myself that no one at my school gets a 4.0, so why tempt the grade deflation gods? Much like any other facet of life, doing well at my school is less a reflection of your intelligence and more a show of your work ethic. If you rush a paper, don't have time to edit, and don't take it to the writing center- it shows. If you don't take the time to closely annotate your readings- it shows. College should not just be about getting a good GPA- it should be about learning and cramming things in before an exam isn't exactly the best way to retain knowledge.

I keep track of my assignments all over the place. When I get my syllabus at the beginning of the year, I go through my planner and write the assignment on the due dates. Several of my classes have readings that you pace yourself, and I go ahead and pace the chapters out myself. I also keep a big dry erase board in my room with big due dates (papers, exams, oral commentaries) and split that up myself in my planner (ie how many pages a day to write, appointments with the writing center, appointments with professor). I also flag brightly colored post-its all over my room as things approach to keep my mind focused. Really, it is just as simple as buckling down and "just doing it"... I just need to have it in writing everywhere to keep me honest. When it's written down, it's more permanent and I feel like I'm letting myself down if I let it slide a day or more. I also sometimes write the wrong due dates into my planner if I think I'm going to be particularly busy on a given week. Still.. I can trick myself all that I want and it's still up to me to say to myself that I will get something done today. Only you can get rid of the "but I have time tomorrow" voice in your head.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:23 PM

61 posts, read 491,029 times
I know why I procrastinate, I don't want to be taking the classes I'm taking. I have to they are prerequisites. I honestly can say I don't want to learn a lot of what these classes are teaching. I can't wait to get to the classes I'm interested in. I hopefully won't procrastinate in those. In past things (school and other) I have noticed I do very well in the things I like, which makes complete sense. The things I don't like, probably sad to say, I go for a C. If I get an A or B, which I do sometimes and thats great, but if I don't better luck next time. My Bio. teacher told us how much time would be needed to get an A. There is no way I could spend that much time on one class anyhow. I will hopefully get a C.

I don't know what it is, but I can stand (somewhat) doing things at work I dislike but I have a huge problem with it in school. Most people say just get through it and get your degree and you won't have to worry about it anymore. It is hard to do when you are going through it though. I'm also an older student.

Sorry I have no advice, but I can relate.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,100,717 times
I know exactly what you're experiencing! And I know the solution.

I'm a first-class procrastinator, of anything I don't enthusiastically want to do. I think it largely goes back to high school. Like you, I was a top student, so didn't have to study long or hard in any subject. I put off most of it until the night before the paper was due, or the exam, and then did the work. And got the A or A+. So both my conscious and my subconscious knew I could put schoolwork off until the last minute, and triumph.

It's all about neural paths, Tess (love that name!!). When we were younger, we developed ways of doing things. Now we put ourselves back in a familiar situation (schoolwork) and bingo -- the brain remembers exactly how to do this: at the last minute!

You want a few results: you want to love yourself and be damned pleased with yourself; you want to acquire the information needed for your classes; and you want to do well in your classes. Right?

If you can achieve those goals by putting off studying until the last minute, and you can carve out the time needed at the last minute, why change?
Maybe that sounds like strange advice, but maybe that way will work for you. I've been studying since I got my M.A., and I've done it procrastinatingly for decades. It works for me, so I stopped believing I was supposed to be someone else. Maybe because you excel at it, you don't have to change it, hmm? You know -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

If you cannot achieve those goals by procrastinating, then change the neural paths in your brain.
Do what authors do: set aside an hour or two in the mornings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, or whenever, and study, do the research, write the papers. (Mornings are best because the brain is actually brighter, clearer and faster in the morning, so it's easier to think and learn then.) But only one or two hours (depending on how much there is to get through) -- you must give yourself a clear end; can't go beyond that time, so that nothing in you yearns to stop, nothing feels the task is "endless".
After a couple of weeks you should get a sense of how many hours per week will work for you, and then you can merrily go to your Brain Time, or whatever clever name you call it, with your whole being knowing it's going to indulge in something wonderful -- for only a limited amount of time, though, so you are always enticed...

If it ain't broke, Tess, don't fix it. But if you don't like the results you're getting, then pretend to be an author. Well, it's not pretend: you are the author of your happiness and your life...

Go forth in joy!!

Last edited by allforcats; 05-04-2008 at 12:16 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 06:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Procrastination is a mind over matter deal. Make up a schedule and stick to it. I think you will find after a couple weeks of NOT procrastinating that your life will be so much easier that it will be easy to stop. I used to be a procrastinator and at times I still am but after my freshman year in college and all the last minute work I realized that wasn't the way to go. Once I started working ahead life was so much easier, I had more free time and basically no stress.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:39 PM

16 posts, read 60,398 times
Thank you so much for the helpful information everyone!! It seems like procrastination is extremely personal - I love what I'm doing, so it's not that, and I organize/plan/write out my syllabi endlessly (planning is one of my favorite procrastination techniques!). It must be that it's a bad habit ingrained over many years! I'm starting at a new school across the country in the fall - a good time to make a clean sweep and lots of changes!

Did I mention that this habit started with, and is the worst with, research papers? I think because I do everything all-or-nothing and it's too overwhelming for me - no matter how many times I tell myself to break it down!

Thanks again! Good luck to all fellow procrastinators!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education