Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 08:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times

Advertisements

People have worried about everything from TV to jazz to rock music to comic books to video games to satanic cults corrupting youth. I remember when Tipper Gore wanted warning labels on records and somebody sued Judas Priest over one of their songs somehow making someone commit a crime. All of these thing assume kids don't have any mind of their own, nor any agency. I don't know whether social media is just another boogyman or in a different category.

But there was a change in parenting styles towards helicopter parenting, snowplow parenting, and just not letting kids out of your sight. There's also been a shift towards way more homework and overscheduling and herding the kids into organized activities. Do kids these days ever get to make a decision or have to figure out stuff for themselves? The combination of things doesn't seem to be a recipe for producing well-adjusted young adults. Add in the worship of victimhood today, and young adults have less incentive to mature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 08:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The first kids who watched Sesame Street and Mister Rodgers' Neighborhood are now in their mid-50s.
I actually saw the very first episode of Sesame Street my first semester of college in 1969 in a friend's dorm room. I was 18 then and I'm almost 70 now. I don't remember why we watched it...

Old 11-20-2020, 08:22 AM

724 posts, read 504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I think it's pretty presumptuous to make claims "about society" based on one silly anecdote.

Are you implying that I'm being presumptuous by making claims about society based on one particular anecdote ?

Because I don't see how anything I've wrote would make you think as much .

Last edited by Lionel Fauquier; 11-20-2020 at 08:39 AM..

Old 11-20-2020, 08:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Are you implying that I'm being presumptuous via making claims about society based on one particular anecdote ?

Because I don't see how anything I've wrote would make you think as much .
Edutainment has been around for a while. I watched Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers growing up and played educational computer games. I am in my 40s. I remember there was a math-based show that came out on PBS (I think called Square One?) and we actually had homework to watch it when I was in elementary. I also loved Mr. Wizard’s World. In school we had games like Fraction Action and a text only RPG that we were allowed to play because it helped with reading. Most of the kids in my classes who played those games are successful adults now.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:41 AM

724 posts, read 504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Edutainment has been around for a while. I watched Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers growing up and played educational computer games. I am in my 40s. I remember there was a math-based show that came out on PBS (I think called Square One?) and we actually had homework to watch it when I was in elementary. I also loved Mr. Wizard’s World. In school we had games like Fraction Action and a text only RPG that we were allowed to play because it helped with reading. Most of the kids in my classes who played those games are successful adults now.

Yup this phenomenon is indeed not new at all , though I still don't get why the implicit accusation of being presumptuous has been lobbed at me , but I digress .

Thanks for your answer by the way !

Old 11-20-2020, 08:59 AM

9,145 posts, read 6,202,297 times
I think a bigger threat than "edutainment" to the common good is when the news divisions of television networks became part of the entertainment divisions.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:08 AM

2,872 posts, read 1,151,678 times
What is concerning to me is the notion that we need to ENTERTAIN children, rather than educate them. How do critical thinking skills, structure, discipline, consistency, expectations - all of the attributes necessary for success - play into this method of "teaching"?
It does not bode well for the kids' future, as future employers will not care whether the job that these coddled children sign up for in the future is "entertaining".
We are failing our future generations.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:08 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Yup. Some day it's going to be in the history books: "And the downfall of society was all because of Sesame Street."

When I look around at the ills of society, they have nothing to do with whether kids learned from Schoolhouse Rock.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:11 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
What is concerning to me is the notion that we need to ENTERTAIN children, rather than educate them. How do critical thinking skills, structure, discipline, consistency, expectations - all of the attributes necessary for success - play into this method of "teaching"?
It does not bode well for the kids' future, as future employers will not care whether the job that these coddled children sign up for in the future is "entertaining".
We are failing our future generations.
Oh, come on. The way that just about all of us learned the alphabet was by singing it. Why not put enjoyment in learning? I think teachers are all secretly actors and the best teachers are the ones that make you want to learn their subject.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
I think it’s like TV or the internet in that it’s neither good nor bad but you should choose your entertainment wisely. Also if a learner really gets interested and involved in what their learning, they will start to make wiser choices about their learning materials and a wise teacher or parent can help facilitate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education