Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2020, 08:27 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

Well, how much stock do you put into these web-sites? Right now I feel like I'm limiting myself on areas to reside in due to relying too heavily on these sites. In 2 years my child will start elementary so I'm trying to find that "close to perfect" school. Of course I'm not relying solely on school to educate my child. We'll do that ourselves as well but I would like to ensure that my child receives the best educational experience outside of what she'll receive at home. And with covid-19 it's not like I can just go up to these schools and judge for myself.

So for the parents of C-D how do you decide on what school is best for your young child? Do you use sites like greatschools or schooldigger? Do you avoid schools rated 4 out 10? 5 out of 10? Are these sites culturally biased? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 09:50 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Well, how much stock do you put into these web-sites? Right now I feel like I'm limiting myself on areas to reside in due to relying too heavily on these sites. In 2 years my child will start elementary so I'm trying to find that "close to perfect" school. Of course I'm not relying solely on school to educate my child. We'll do that ourselves as well but I would like to ensure that my child receives the best educational experience outside of what she'll receive at home. And with covid-19 it's not like I can just go up to these schools and judge for myself.

So for the parents of C-D how do you decide on what school is best for your young child? Do you use sites like greatschools or schooldigger? Do you avoid schools rated 4 out 10? 5 out of 10? Are these sites culturally biased? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.
I'd rate all those sources as quite suspect.

1. Parents/students who like a school tend to overstate a school's greatness.
2. Parent/student who dislike a school or want to shed blame for poor outcomes tend to oversell a school's shortcomings.
3. Often these webpages employ algorithms within ratings schemes.........if a school does not fit the algorithm the school is unjustly punished. Plano West Sr. High (TX) being the perfect example.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:30 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Most of these sites make heavy use of standardized test scores in rating a school -- which is why one must be very careful in using them.

A school with high standardized test scores could be too competitive for your kid, educate mostly wealthy kids that may make your child--and you--feel out of place, have a curriculum that's not right for your child, or enforce super strict behavioral rules (like some charters do). I certainly wouldn't pick a school with a very low rating, but I would not necessarily jump at the chance to put my child in the very top-rated one (if that were possible).

I'd pay attention to test scores, but I'd also look at several other factors: What is the typical class size? How long has the principal been there? Is the PTA pretty active or not? Is the curriculum more traditional or more progressive? Do families tend to stay at the school for their kids' entire elementary career? Is attendance good or do a lot of kids miss a lot of days of school? How does the school provide opportunities for both slow learners and high-achievers? Is the student body ethnically homogeneous or ethnically diverse? What type of non-academic activities are offered, like music, art, sports? How often do kids get recess? (This was important to us because we had boys.)

Getting the answers to these types of questions may entail a bit of work: I don't know how much of this is publicly available where you are and how much you'd just have to pick up from other parents or the schools themselves. And of course some of these issues may be less or more important to you than others. You know your kid better than anyone else. But the bottom line: Do not put all your faith in test scores as the be-all and end-all of getting the right school.

Last edited by citylove101; 11-30-2020 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-04-2020, 10:37 PM

87 posts, read 167,370 times
I'll bite even though I'm also a Houstonian and not a "Screwstonian" - whatever that is supposed to mean.

The overall scores you see are based on test scores generally. That by no means gives you an adequate basis for making a full decision.

I don't know your priorities but you will find schools all in the suburbia of Houston that have great scores and will give your kids an excellent education.

Full disclosure, I have two children in HISD in a high school that doesn't have a high rating on the sites you mentioned. However, they are afforded the opportunity to achieve an IB diploma and experience a diverse student body which is what I wanted for my children.

I have lived in the area for nearly 40 years. There is no discernible difference in Katy, Woodlands, Cypress, etc in what you are seeking.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:13 PM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Who wouldn’t send their children to the highest rated schools they can afford to?

Isn’t that the whole point of these ratings?

Old 12-05-2020, 04:58 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
They are useful tools when used to compare one school with others, but not to overuse them. In my state my son’s high school is in the top 8%, which means it’s a great school. If I sent him to the top schools - i.e. “the best” - they are inner-city magnet schools with high diversity but also high poverty. Their test scores are better overall but he’d hate it there - and he will do just fine where he is.

What’s most important is how your child will fit.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:55 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
I'm going to waiver from the crowd a bit, test results are very important. At a minimum test scores tell parents a good bit about student achievement per school.

There is a reason successful young professional parents tend to focus on things like test results and other parents less so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education