Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 05:21 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Isn't that what guidance counselors are for?
And parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 06:29 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinque View Post
This is something to think about as well and is worthy of discussion.

Do we need to sell the traditional get a career, get married, have kids and settle down lifestyle to every person?

Is there anything wrong with say the following:

Doing seasonal work at the National Park Service (they offer room and board) and then perhaps do gig jobs or at least part-time work to keep the bills paid. If you can find a position say in the winter time as well then you are really set. It may sound silly to some but it would be a good idea to take some time in a career class to discuss gig jobs (since those are going to increase as tech pushes onward) or non-traditional jobs.
that can work for somebody who plans to remain single and not have children. But, when you have a family to support, you need some stability, and you need a job that provides health insurance.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
that can work for somebody who plans to remain single and not have children. But, when you have a family to support, you need some stability, and you need a job that provides health insurance.
I think you can get temp jobs through the national park/forest service that provide health insurance. I had a colleague who said that after a bit, her daughter qualified. AFAIK, she never got a full-time position and was just going from temp to temp positions. The main difference is that they don’t offer the same sort of retirement plans as the TERM positions (that are typically a year or more).

Old 07-22-2021, 10:34 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think you can get temp jobs through the national park/forest service that provide health insurance. I had a colleague who said that after a bit, her daughter qualified. AFAIK, she never got a full-time position and was just going from temp to temp positions. The main difference is that they don’t offer the same sort of retirement plans as the TERM positions (that are typically a year or more).
I was thinking that you were suggesting constant relocation. What is the advantage to temp jobs over permanent jobs?

Old 07-22-2021, 11:33 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
Education is a closed loop. Grammar school prepares you for junior high or high school. High school prepares you for college. College gives you a diploma and you are on your own to figure out the rest of your life.

My wife took a commercial course in high school rather than an academic one. She learned bookkeeping, typing, and shorthand. By the end of her senior year recruiters from various companies came to recruit them. My wife started work as a secretary the day after her graduation. A few years later she was hired and trained by her boss as a legal secretary. She worked as a legal secretary until she retired.

Technology did away with the job of secretary in most offices, and schools don't offer a commercial diploma anymore.

I was in an academic high school and went to college for a degree in Political Science, as I planned to be a lawyer. I completed the first year of law school and realized this was not how I wanted to spend the rest of my life. As I held an alumni membership from my college I signed up for their free career counseling testing. When the tests came back I was informed I was best suited to be a landscaper or a printer.

With my diploma I was able to get jobs in credit and collections, training, procedure writing, auditing. I got married and had kids and did whatever jobs paid the bills. In my early 40's I finally got a job in IT due to the person being hired for the job quitting and the equipment was on the way, and I was more than eager to learn the job and do it. It was my dream job and I did it until I retired and then two additional years as a contractor.

When I graduated college the job I had in IT, and the computers I worked with hadn't been invented yet. There were no computer science classes except in the accounting department, using mainframe computers. If I had been given that career aptitude test when I started college instead of after I finished it, I probably would have become a landscaper.

School is a business run primarily for the benefit of the teachers and administrators. There are good teachers but they don't set the curriculum or have the ability to advise students on future life choices. My recollection of the guidance counselors was that they were just going through the motions and offered no guidance of any value. Also, no one went to see them unless they got into trouble.

My grandson just graduated high school and got an art scholarship as he has had art as a hobby for years and did well in his high school art classes. He starts college in the fall majoring in art. We will see how that works out. It may be his life's calling, or it may not work out at all. It would have been great if he had been given some exposure to working artists making a living in the field.

Last edited by bobspez; 07-22-2021 at 12:01 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 05:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I was thinking that you were suggesting constant relocation. What is the advantage to temp jobs over permanent jobs?
variety!!!

From age 15 - 50, I nearly always worked 3 jobs (at once) + attended FT college and took a LOT of vacation / sabbaticals.

Work hard + Play hard

Keep varied interests and skillsets.

My kids got technical certifications during HS age, and participated in very high paying, exciting, challenging, and hazardous jobs during college. They had a strong variety of jobs, skills, leadership, and earnings BEFORE exiting college, and it gave them a good idea of what NOT to do as a career! And... what to do if they desired high pay very quickly.

They had each designed and built their own homes while Jr High age, so they had decent skills for electrical, carpentry, concrete, plumbing, CAD, math, planning... and a good quantity of home equity to cover any college of CoL costs.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:04 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Different experiences, can be flexible, travel, etc.

Again it is a possible option especially for those who don't want to live the rat race of I got to get married by 25, have a kid shortly after, have a home by 30, and take my kids to Disney because all my neighbors are doing it lifestyle.

I have no problem with the lifestyle mentioned above, but I can see great benefits to all (including lower divorce rates and more happy families) if we don't try and force everyone into that lifestyle starting in Middle School.
Absolutely. Younger people might also go work for the various lodge/hotel companies on national park properties as well. These days our careers are long, so why not take your 20s out to do fun jobs? I just don’t see why people need to start a serious career at age 18 or 22. I didn’t and I am not looking back thinking I wish I had started a career earlier. I lived abroad for two years. My sister actually lived abroad for 4. She’s got an excellent career right now. Her current job wasn’t really much of a thing when she was in middle school, and then when it became a thing… it was a little more advanced abroad. She ended up spending 2 of her abroad years working full-time for one of those companies and then continued freelance when she moved to the 2nd country. I’m not sure she would have gotten her current job without that abroad experience.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:26 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Doing seasonal work at the National Park Service (they offer room and board) and then perhaps do gig jobs or at least part-time work to keep the bills paid. If you can find a position say in the winter time as well then you are really set. It may sound silly to some but it would be a good idea to take some time in a career class to discuss gig jobs (since those are going to increase as tech pushes onward) or non-traditional jobs.

I feel like several people starting as teens get wrapped up in the fact of you have to go to college and get this white collared job because that is what Tony across the street is doing or because all the Mom's are encouraging their kids to follow this route. That is not just the fault of education but in general society as well.
As a kid living in a 1970's subdivision, I would have never known about National Park Service jobs. In my day, it was a trip to the library for books and resources years out of date to look at careers.

It's such a great time today because of the internet! Kids can look up any job in the world. In fifteen minutes, a kid can look up a prospective career, employers and starting salaries. If a job requires a move, there are real estate sites for apartment rentals. All from a home!

My daughter took time out from college for a floral design certificate. She worked for a year as a florist's assistant. In the end, she realized it wasn't for her and returned to college. She's in grad school now. But, what a luxury to be able to try something different!

My MIL is very old school thinking everyone should be an executive, doctor or lawyer. She flipped out when we told her about my daughter's floral design certificate. I told her that I was enthusiastic about it. It seemed to shut her up.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:09 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Kids are really so much more capable than we give them credit for. I was not raised to have high expectations, so I could have been a lot better at thinking outside the box with my own kids. We must have done something a little right, because the grandkids have been encouraged to experience the world and take advantage of opportunities that I never knew existed.

The joke in my family is, all my grandchildren have been to better places than I ever have...even the 3 year old, who is bilingual and knows some sign language.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:24 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
If we're making a wishlist here...

I would like schools to teach students to have pride in being skilled at something, and not just pursue the job that pays a lot of money.

Your happiness in life does not hinge on whether you make $70,000 or $90,000. Even going to $40,000 or $150,000 is not life changing in matters that count.

It can be, if they are taught how to manage money properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education