Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 06:15 PM

71 posts, read 39,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
From the responses that you have given to the information that you got, I am beginning to think that there aren't any online certificates or jobs that you can do to make money because you don't have the wherewithal to earn them. If you had started with the FreeCodeCamp course when I first told you about it, you could have been done by now and working on the JavaScript one. Have you started it? Have you started anything? If the answer is no, then I think that the answer to your original question is that there are none.
I am still confused on how does the FreeCode Camp lead to higher paying jobs? Is there any additional information I can read to help me understand it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 07:47 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent_split View Post
I am still confused on how does the FreeCode Camp lead to higher paying jobs? Is there any additional information I can read to help me understand it?
As I've said before, Google is (usually) your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=free...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 11-27-2021, 05:32 AM

3,113 posts, read 1,007,936 times
You can try this website, here you can compare the salaries too.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/

Old 11-29-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
As I've said before, Google is (usually) your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=free...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I actually googled being a software engineer which is connected to what you are talking about and it says you need a bachelors degree

Old 11-29-2021, 09:00 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
I actually googled being a software engineer which is connected to what you are talking about and it says you need a bachelors degree
Try googling junior developer and see what you get. There are a lot of different levels in computer science. Some coders get jobs based on their portfolios. Google developer portfolios to see the kind of work that they do. Good luck. There are many pathways that you could follow. Pick one and go for it.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:31 PM

Does anyone know about working for IT and getting a career in computers?

Old 12-12-2021, 08:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Hobby Lobby had a sign up yesterday. They’re hiring starting at $17…

Old 12-18-2021, 03:04 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Speaking of employers that pay well and provide training (I got as far as Pg 1 of the thread), optometrists and ophthalmologists sometimes hire people completely outside that skillset, and provide all the training to be their assistant.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:05 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Does anyone know about working for IT and getting a career in computers?
Would take at least 2 yrs. of community college.

Old 12-19-2021, 12:00 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Looks to me, from this dropout list, is you need to develop the skill set to become an entrepreneur. Do they teach that in College? Probably not since college professors are not do-ers so how could they teach it? Looks like only 2 of the 16 were somewhat well-off before they became successful and made a lot of money.

Maybe what we need is the University of Entrepreneurship (not the same as business management) taught and run by actual successful entrepreneurs and where you can earn a certificate or degree on developing and running your own business (regardless of the subject of the business) beginning with the development of an idea and including the opportunity of hands on learning to work from the ground up in a similar type business while earning your certificate or degree

Quote:
16 Millionaires (and Billionaires) Who Never Graduated College (more info in the article)

https://financebuzz.com/millionaires...college-degree

1. Bill Gates
Bill Gates is a billionaire entrepreneur and philanthropist, but he’s most known for his role as the co-founder of Microsoft. (Harvard dropout).

2. Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg is known worldwide as a co-founder and CEO of Facebook, the largest social media platform in the world. (Harvard dropout).

3. Michael Dell
Michael Dell is the founder and CEO of Dell Inc., one of the world’s largest and most successful technology and personal computer companies. (University of Texas dropout at 19)

4. Zhou Qunfei
Zhou Qunfei is the founder and CEO of Lens Technology, a Chinese technology company that supplies smartphone screens to technology giants like Samsung, LG, and Microsoft. (Dropped out of school at 16 and worked on a factory assembly line.)

5. Steve Jobs
The co-founder and former CEO of Apple and Pixar. (Dropped out of Reed College after 6 months)

6. Richard Branson
Virgin Group starter. (Dropped out of school at 16)

7. Evan Williams
Co-founded Twitter. Was CEO of Twitter. (Dropped out of the University of Nebraska)

8. Ted Turner
Ted Turner who took over his father's advertising business is a broadcasting entrepreneur known for creating multiple TV channels, including CNN, Cartoon Network, and Turner Network Television (TNT). (Was expelled from Brown University for having a female in his room)

9. David Murdock
David Murdock is the CEO of Dole Food Company, Inc. and the real estate company, Castle & Cooke. (Dropped out of High School as a as a freshman.)

10. Jay-Z
American rapper and entrepreneur with his own record label, clothing line, and entertainment company. (Didn't graduate from high school, never attended college.)

11. Kim Kardashian
Kim Kardashian is a TV personality and entrepreneur who first rose to fame for her personal exploits and TV series, Keeping Up With the Kardashians. (Attended Pierce College but never got her degree.)

12. Simon Cowell
Simon Cowell’s fame is often attributed to his appearances as a judge on TV shows like American Idol, The X Factor, and America’s Got Talent. However, his career in TV began only after he first made it in the music industry. (Dropped out of school at 16)

13. Russell Simmons
Classic rap and hip-hop enthusiasts know about Russell Simmons, the co-founder of Def Jam Recordings and an accomplished music producer. Other successful business ventures include multiple clothing lines and a financial services company. (Attended the City College of New York, majoring in sociology but never got his degree).

14. John Mackey
John Mackey is a co-founder and CEO of Whole Foods Market, Inc. (Dropped out of University of Texas, Austin)

15. Rachael Ray
Rachael Ray known for her prowess in the kitchen and translating her skills and talents into millions of dollars. (Never attended a formal culinary school, attended Pace University, NY but dropped out).

16. Anna Wintour
Anna Wintour is a British fashion icon and magazine editor known for her work with American Vogue magazine. (Wasn't poor starting out but dropped out of the North London Collegiate School)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education