Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Quote:
Kids under 7 can't think logically.
I strongly disagree with that statement.
Big time!

There are kids under 7 who can't, but as a generality it fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 04:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Well, I would agree that you can't say "none" can think logically under age 7. At five, I might say "some" or even "many" can't.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-07-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-07-2008, 04:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The teacher is psycho.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
another example of how backwards that state is.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:33 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
another example of how backwards that state is.
No, I'm sorry.

Using the behavior of one teacher in one classroom, or even one group of students in one classroom, as the basis for an attack on an entire state is totally inappropriate. It is painting with far too broad a brush.

Inappropriate things take place in classrooms, too many of them, all over the country.

And in workplaces. And in homes.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:50 PM

I've seen some really strange things happen in that state as far as education, that's why I said that. It just adds to the list of strange things i've seen happen. Never hear about anything like that in the north.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've seen some really strange things happen in that state as far as education, that's why I said that. It just adds to the list of strange things i've seen happen. Never hear about anything like that in the north.
All that sun and humidity must be frying their brains?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
All that sun and humidity must be frying their brains?

That's funny, that's what my mom says about the people down there. Of course not all people have backwards views towards things. But, my mom works in the schools and cannot believe some of the strange things the teachers do/say down there, compared to where she used to work in NY.

For example, the teachers she's encountered down there don't know basic geography that most people would be expected to know.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:04 PM

114 posts, read 486,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Sorry, but it's getting more difficult by the year to feel sorry for teachers. Teachers are making more and more money and spending less and less time with students. Elementary age children spend less time with any one teacher than high school kids do. In addition, there are more and more 'aides' in elementary classrooms. EXACTLY WHAT DOES AN ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM TEACHER DO ANYMORE???

Nope, no sympathy here.
I worked as a hospital custodian for years. A teacher just out of college gets paid as much a custodian!! (at least in my state) And even with years of experience teachers here make squat!! we are ranked 42nd in the nation for teacher pay but the NEA ranked us 2nd under Vermont as one of the best states to get an education in. For what they do teacher get paid squat.

What do they do, they educate the future of America!!!. these kids that are in our hand for most of their childhood are going to be making the decisions when you are going to retire!! Yeah, don't feel sorry for teachers because they don't do anything, because of people like you that vote and rant and rave about the system and put so many limitations on us that we can't do what we need to do to educate the future .

Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 AM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
I have actually read many of the posts in this thread. I will finish the rest soon. Also, I realize the OP was a while ago. I still want to share my thoughts.

1. I think that the teacher was wrong. Period case closed. The right thing to do would have been to get the child out of the room until she calmed down. Usually there is a guidance counselor or even another classroom teacher that can help you out. I was not there, so I can't say exactly what she should have done. However, she made the wrong choice.

2. I won't speak for everywhere, but where I live, they do not really diagnose in the early grades. Early childhood classrooms are usually horrible because of this. They just leave the teachers to "deal with it". In my school, we have had violent children that attack teachers and other children. Whole entire classrooms have been destroyed; classrooms that were decorated using the teacher's own money. This is not just my school. I know teachers from other schools who deal with the same thing. That is not fair to the school, the child with the problem, and other other children.

3. One extremely disruptive child can indeed ruin the entire class, especially if the teacher is alone. How is he/she suppossed to teach?

4. My hope is that cases like this (although very sad) will open up the eyes of school districts, administrators, parents, and everybody. The laws need to change.

5. If I were the parent of a special needs child. I would NOT want them in a regular classroom with one teacher if my child could not function. That is horrible. I would be demanding a proper placement. If my child were a "regular" child in a class with an extremely disruptive child, I would pull them out if the child was not removed. I would rather home school than have my child suffer. I have seen children suffer because of 1 or 2 children. It is SO sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education