Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times

Advertisements

I have a question, I am a student from Taiwan, next week is the dateline for my essay but even after the years learning English I still have no idea how to write an academic papers, one of my friend is suggest me to use the writing service company, she is using MOD cut - link to suspected ad but I am not sure, should I follow her advise, I am scare to got F if I do by myself, any suggestion?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-23-2009 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 PM

21 posts, read 56,106 times
If you are in college, go to the writing center and get help. If not go to the teacher for help.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:48 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,293,017 times
look for books/websources on "expository writing" or "critical essays." Few students know how to write these days anyway. If you follow some basic guidelines and stick to flow, common sense and support your positions with evidence, you will do fine. To go from B to A...might take a bit of time.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,468,452 times
Here's a link from the University of North Carolina on good paragraph formation (the structural foundation for a solid essay). Along the right side, you'll notice links to other topics related to writing essays.

Paragraphs (http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/paragraphs.html - broken link)

Another resource that is found in the library of anyone who can truly write is this:

Strunk, William, Jr. 1918. The Elements of Style

One tip right off the bat-- use periods instead of commas when you finish a thought. Your original post demonstrates a lack of understanding on punctuation.

Do the essay yourself. You'll get more out of it. Ultimately one day, you'll need to write for yourself, this is the time to learn how.

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:27 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,468,452 times
Also, using a "writing service company" is grounds for suspension or expulsion at most schools, which is much worse than getting an F.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,129,583 times
Paying for a service that provides a written paper for a fee is definite grounds for an "F". Most English class Professors use a plagiarism site to track papers before providing a grade. You may be lucky if you use a site that gives you someones paper but do not take the chance.

If the course you are taking is not for a grade then it is probably "English for Foreign Students". It is a very good course that requires lots of studying.

I used the William, Stunk "Elements of Style" during my first year at Penn. The book is very thin but packed with helpful information.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,262,485 times
Mods: can the link in the OP's post please be removed? Thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,130,127 times
I am going to agree with manner here. Go to your college's writing center for help. Don't be afraid to ask for help, it is not a sign of stupidity. Your struggle to write this paper is due to a language barrier, not intellect. I discovered when I was an undergrad that I didn't know how to write a paper (even though I thought I knew) by almost turning in a paper that was total plagerism. I had no idea that I had even plagerized! It is a learning process, always. Take time now to learn how to do it and you will get better with practice and time, making your life and college experience better as time goes on. As an individual with two masters degrees, I still see graduates in the writing center getting help. Additionally, keep in mind, every writer always has a couple readers read through their work before publishing it.
Good luck! Use your writing center, they are there to help you. When you get out of college, you will find your own writing center to proof read your publications.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 PM

38 posts, read 185,190 times
basically, you need to make and introduction with thesis statement. It must have between 4 to 6 sentenses. The body are based on the three fact you add on the thesis statement. And the conclusion you re-state the three facts. In my essay I called them reasons.

Below, I will share one of my essay practice.

We are a family oriented country. Americans believe in getting married and having a family. Some people get marry and stay together per life, but other get divorce for any reason. Therefore, most of the religious and community organizations enforce couples to find a solution, through support groups or privade psicologic therapy. Temper, illness, and economy are three reasons why there are so many divorces in America.
Many people have bad tempers, but in the beginning they show nice behavior. Other show their real personality since the first date. Those couples eventually have hard time to keep their marriage, so their bad temper cause domestic violence. Consequently, they end on divorce. Even if they receive marriage orientation by professionals. They are not able to control their temper.
A lot of people get ill for a variety of reasons, eventhough they love each other: they chose to divorce. When one of them gets sick, it changes a family enviroment. Moreover, when both of them sufer an accident simultaniouslly or on different date. Some people send their ill partner for a rehabilitation to a Heath Institution. Other chose the separation since before their sick partner are still hospitalized. So, one way or other the illness cause that family to divorce.
A family rupture goes on because of economic problems. Most of the americans get engage with people from different socio-economic level. Therefore, money has different value to each of them. What is enough for a husband, is not enough for a wife and viceversus. The amount of money that is a basically need for one of them, could be exessive for other. Most of those families end on divorce, sooner or later.
In conclusion, temper, illness, and economy are some of the reasons that families begin their separation. While, many americans re-married as many times as they can. Still, the average of divorces in USA, are higher than the average of divorces on other American countries. It always exist the risk, not to apply the orientation well done; and after so many years of marriage, end on divorce.

But you need to make your own. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:27 PM

589 posts, read 1,561,525 times
English is also not my first language. I learned a lot by reading the National Enquirer, a supermarket tabloid. Don't laugh; the articles there are very well written, concise, and hold your attention. Try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education