Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 PM

148 posts, read 645,026 times

Advertisements

I work as a Teacher and one of my greatest frustrations both with kids and adults (I teach both) is so few will speak up in class. So many students just want to sit there and listen while they keep a close eye on the clock. They believe (falsely) that 95% of classroom success is just showing up and passing the tests.

Sometimes I get frustrated and will call on people. They will not know the answer or give a short two word response. I ask them what if the same question was asked in a job interview?

I try to encourage students by having question and answer, role playing, games, case studies, contests and group activites. Most perfer to just sit there and put in their time.

I try everything to get people to participate and have on occasion even bribed them. Most students just sit there. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:49 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,994,462 times
I don't like to speak up in class unless I am 100% certain that my response is the correct one. However, most of the time I end up kicking myself in the butt for not responding because I really did know the right answer. I like to always be correct and never wrong.

What is that quote, "It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

Old 07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Her

298 posts, read 869,118 times
AHH!!! My biggest fear in class is being called on. To be honest, if a teacher is one that usually calls on people for entire assignments, i will skip class. Its awful, I know, but I have my reasons. Between working full time and going to school full time, I am rarely prepared for class. I know whats going on but I only fully process it during the exam week. Being called on unprepared, well, sucks. lol. Perhaps offering extra credit for those that answer in class is an option?? Depends on how you like to grade. Make participation a part of the grade. I had one class I really liked and even spoke up in, although i had to drop it as it was too late in the evening.

The teacher would assign three or four readings on a certain subject...say race for example.
She divided the class into groups. Group A was responsbile for delivering a summary of one of the readings to the class. Not standing up or anything, the desks were arranged ina circle. If a member didnt offer something/add something to the discussion, they didnt get points for that portion of the day. Then group B would critique Group A's summary and Group C would basically critique Group B's criticism.
Next, Group B presents the second reading, Broup C critiques, Groups C critques Group B and so on and so forth. I guess it depends upon the subject you teach but I loved that class and I HATE in class participation. I learned so much by hearing everyone's opinions and it makes you feel less awkward voicing opinions because your group is counting on you to add something. Plus, its a great way to make friends. You could make this system work depending on subject I would guess. It also would depend on if its a lecture hall classroom.

Mostly though, people dont answer is class because thye are self concious and dont want to draw attention to themselves by answering. They just want to be a blob in class like everyone else. Ask a question to the whole classroom and wait for someone to venture an answer. Then just keep saying "well"...do i need to assign a paper about it?" ....sit in silence. it usually works. I will answer.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,022,597 times
First - your statement about the classroom success may be false in college...but not in high school. Case-in-point: I didn't do a lick of homework all through my senior year and graduated with a B. Just passed all of the tests and special assignments.

To your question about the public speaking, it's hard to know if you're referring to high school or college. I assume college.

I had a history teacher, Padoff...who required all students to stand up and give a synopsis on a certain part of our book in front of the class. This was high school. In junior high school we had a class where we did a debate about Gillette and using animals to test their chemicals. It was fun and involving. Both involved required study beforehand.

My point is, if they didn't get some public speaking during their earlier years, it's hard. I see you've tried case studies and role playing...have you thought about public speaking tests? Where the test answers have to be spoken in front of the class or you fail?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
it used to be timidity, now its wisdom ---classmates are now not merely critical they see a hand in the air as an opportunity to reach out and hurt somebody. mean streets do not produce open pretty people.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I have returned to college and I can tell you that in classes I am confident in I will speak up. BUT there are classes that I am very nervous about in fact boarderline having a panic attack in and I NEVER speak up in those classes.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I LOVE it when profs call on me! I have a very hard time breaking into class discussions. All of my courses are discussion base and hand raising tends to fall at the wayside. Its really frustrating because it's VERY difficult for me to break into those conversations- especially in discussions of 30 people! I also have trouble expressing myself out loud. For whatever reason, I tend to lose track of what I'm saying as I say it. Or forget words (and common words at that). It's some neuro thing that we haven't figured out yet. Breaking in to conversation makes me so nervous that it makes things worse.

So at the start of every semester, I ask professors if they could call on me or make hand raising mandatory. Most are pretty obliging. Maybe at the beginning of a semester, require your students to come talk to you. My best school experiences have been when the professors required all students to come discuss their goals and quirks with them. Again- it's discussion classes so obviously things work a bit different in large classes- but just by having that opportunity specifically offered to me in my first year of school, I've been more confident speaking up about my issues to profs privately. I've also noticed that courses run much more smoothly when professors know which kids are legitimately afraid of speaking up in class and why.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
there are a couple reasons - either not being confident you know an answer, knowing you know the answer but not wanting to be the "always answering questions and sucking up nerd" or just not caring

i fit in the later - my job as a student wasn't to engage the class or give my knowledge to them - i used to debate constantly with teachers who marked participation heavy into their grading - my job was to show up, not be a distraction and learn the material - yes I was probably day dreaming in class, if you called on me for an answer it may take a minute to get my bearings before figuring out the answer - high school was a grind - 13 years of long, boring days - my thought was leave me alone and I'll leave you alone - i'll still get an A and we can call it a day

i definitely do agree though about public speaking - it's a must skill for success in many areas - the best idea is worthless if you can't express it - standing in front of the class can also motivate you to learn your stuff - also study trivia type games were always good in that they were team driven with a reward of some kind built in - once again encouring people to learn their stuff and making it cool to be the nerdy know it all kid

Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I work as a Teacher and one of my greatest frustrations both with kids and adults (I teach both) is so few will speak up in class. So many students just want to sit there and listen while they keep a close eye on the clock. They believe (falsely) that 95% of classroom success is just showing up and passing the tests.

Sometimes I get frustrated and will call on people. They will not know the answer or give a short two word response. I ask them what if the same question was asked in a job interview?

I try to encourage students by having question and answer, role playing, games, case studies, contests and group activites. Most perfer to just sit there and put in their time.

I try everything to get people to participate and have on occasion even bribed them. Most students just sit there. Any advice?
That's funny. When I was in school I was always the "Horshack" character from "Welcome Back Cotter" that was waving his hand around going "oh oh oh, pick me, pick me". I'd gladly answer every question asked if the teacher would let me. Frankly, I think the teachers got a little sick of me participating so much. LOL

The only thing I would NOT participate in was "group discussions" where you chose a leader and discussed something. I wasn't the least bit interested in what other students thought about anything.

I still have no problem talking in front of hundreds of people with great ease. I guess it's just the differences in people.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-08-2008, 02:06 AM

7,913 posts, read 933,497 times
Even if i know the answer i am shy and hate to get called on because i talk softly and hate to have to repeat myself a few times before i am heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education