Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:04 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,423,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Schools should be allowed to enforce dress code rules as they see fit. This includes hair length, visible tattoo's and piercings (cover them and don't wear piercings), dyed hair, etc. Nothing new. When living in Kentucky, we had a strict dress code that included hair length and other items of interest.
Of course because the dress codes fit your character just fine.

But if it was against your character or beleifs, you would protest.

Seems you have little regard for values which others hold that are different than your own.

And who makes these dress codes? Its not like they an uncontrolable act of nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,872,873 times
I can't watch the video but I honestly don't understand the big deal with hair length. Didn't something like this happen last year too? Several of my son's friends have longer hair. One little boy in his class last year had beautiful hair. I swear if you didn't know better you would have thought he was girl b/c it was so thick and just pretty hair. No one bothered him. I didn't know who he was when he cut it! Why does everyone think they have the right to tell others how their kids should look? It's really ridiculous especially when they are 5. None of those kids care. As they get older and clothes and hair can cause fights, it might be wise to have guidelines that are enforced but nothing extreme. Kids need to be safe but they also don't need to be told how they can wear their hair.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,775,368 times
Remember, this story is in Texas and Texians historically hated Indians more than any other Americans, except Kentuckians maybe.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,461,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Of course because the dress codes fit your character just fine.

But if it was against your character or beleifs, you would protest.

Seems you have little regard for values which others hold that are different than your own.

And who makes these dress codes? Its not like they an uncontrolable act of nature.
If we abide by everyone's culture that lives in the United States, we'd be screwed.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,423,545 times
Its not abiding by anything, its live and let live, its minding your own business, something Americans can't ever seem to do both as private citizens and government though we love making the propaganda up that we do. But at least we are past the separate but equal phase.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
If we abide by everyone's culture that lives in the United States, we'd be screwed.
Why does this kid's hair bother anyone? I mean seriously-It's HAIR.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,242,359 times
Originally Posted by Momma_bear
Quote:
Why does this kid's hair bother anyone? I mean seriously-It's HAIR.
Because the kid’s opinion (and that of his parents) deviates from the majority which obviously proves that he can only grow up becoming a rebel?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:52 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,302,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Its not abiding by anything, its live and let live, its minding your own business, something Americans can't ever seem to do both as private citizens and government though we love making the propaganda up that we do. But at least we are past the separate but equal phase.
Exactly.

I am SO glad I can utilize my choice as a taxpaying citizen to send my children to a publicly funded charter school, where they focus on educating the kids instead of dictating ridiculous conformity of dress and appearance.

I'd be much more supportive of a dress code for this TOWN that prohibited mullets. I find that mullet-woman's hair (in the video) much more distracting than that adorable little boy's braids.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"It's part of who we are. It's part of what we believe in. It's part of what makes us Native American. To strip our hair would be to strip our spirit, which is far beyond stripping any religion."

Breitbart.tv » Long-Haired Boy Denied Entry Into Kindergarten
I bet they would welcome Celine Dion's son with open arms, his mom being "famous" and all.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education