Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,394,179 times

Advertisements

I caught this on the digital cable dodad at my grandmother's house. For some reason in my mind schools like this only exsisted in movies like Lean on Me or Freedom Writers. I guess I don't really understand the "No Child Left Behind" rule because I felt like since I've already finished school, it wouldn't affect me and I never gave it too much attention. I feel sorry for kids that go to schools likes this. I have to wonder what kind of shot they have at going to college and having careers.
Quote:
Douglass principal Isabelle Grant oversees a staff of teachers that is two-thirds non-certified, while many are substitutes unqualified to teach their subject areas. Threatened with sanctions, or even closing, unless student scores improve in annual standardized tests, the faculty tries to find workable solutions to chronic problems of attendance, lateness and apathy among students, many of whom come from poor backgrounds and broken homes, and lack the most basic reading and math skills.
Hard Times At Douglas High

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/ar...on/23high.html

How ironic is it that this school is names after Fredrick Douglas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
This is an older book (1991) by Jonathan Kozol. I still havent recovered from the East St. Louis section.

Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools - Google Book Search

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM

372 posts, read 850,118 times
I saw the same program. What I took from it wasn't that the school itself was inadequate, rather that the socioeconomics of the local society doesn't value education highly enough. Without stronger community development, the "have nots" will continue spiral further behind.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,351,628 times
I watched this show and I didn't like it at all. One of the Douglas basketball players went crazy after a loss. He said they lost because of racial oppression and the establishment wanting them to end up dead on the streets.

Ahhh, YOU LOST TO ANOTHER ALL BLACK SCHOOL!!!

I didn't see anything positive....

Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,150,292 times
Yes, this was a rather depressing look at inner city schools. It was quite sad to see one of the teachers who seemed like he was good at what he did and genuinely cared get burned out. These educators are too busy trying to control the student's behavior than to actually teach. Then to threaten the school with closure? And exactly where do they plan on sending these kids now? This isn't solving the problem; it's just passing the buck.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,794,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I caught this on the digital cable dodad at my grandmother's house. For some reason in my mind schools like this only exsisted in movies like Lean on Me or Freedom Writers. I guess I don't really understand the "No Child Left Behind" rule because I felt like since I've already finished school, it wouldn't affect me and I never gave it too much attention. I feel sorry for kids that go to schools likes this. I have to wonder what kind of shot they have at going to college and having careers.

Hard Times At Douglas High

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/ar...on/23high.html

How ironic is it that this school is names after Fredrick Douglas?
I saw the same program and i thank God that neither HS i went to was even close to what these kids have to deal with. While i dont think it is impossible to have a sucessful life after going to a true inner-city HS the odds are VERY against you. Personally I think for schools like this there should be more emphasis on trades and blue-collar career education for those who are least likely to go to college. That way these kids have a better chance of being a contributing member of our workforce.

As a black male, i find it sad that many in my community have to put up with this embarassing quality of public education.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Yes, this was a rather depressing look at inner city schools. It was quite sad to see one of the teachers who seemed like he was good at what he did and genuinely cared get burned out. These educators are too busy trying to control the student's behavior than to actually teach. Then to threaten the school with closure? And exactly where do they plan on sending these kids now? This isn't solving the problem; it's just passing the buck.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - they're going to close the school and do what...just have the kids collect welfare forever? I don't understand how that's even considered a solution. Where's Joe Clark when you need him?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,847,492 times
I just finished teaching in the South Bronx and, yes, the problems run deep and unfortunately no one really knows how to make things better .....

Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 PM

174 posts, read 517,230 times
Default It's so familiar.

I watched this documentary also. I teach high school in the East Los Angeles area - have done it for nine long years now. The community where I work is almost all Mexican immigrant. I was sure when I started viewing that I would see contrasts. The community is so different - African American, East Coast, dilapidated rowhouses. Imagine my shock and amusement when I saw the same sad educational catch phrases, excuses, and blame-the-teacher song and dance routines.

The Bush administration is so certain that the whole problem boils down to bad schools and bad teachers who need to be punished - that's laughable. Socio-economics and the educational level of the adults in the community are an almost PERFECT forecaster of the performance of a community's kids in school. In Los Angeles Unified you can absolutely predict the API score of a high school when you know the distance in miles it lies from South Central LA.

This is why merit pay, although it sounds good on paper, is so implausible.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I just finished teaching in the South Bronx and, yes, the problems run deep and unfortunately no one really knows how to make things better .....
I have a friend who was teaching in South Miami, she quit in the middle of the school year. Said she just got burnt out from trying to play the teacher/parent/friend/supporter/counselor hat with all the kids. She said when she addressed her concerns with the principal he told her this was not a movie and she need to stop trying to save them and just let them be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education