Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,733 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have to vent about an issue. My school starts at 8:00am (actually the doors open at 7:15 for breakfast). We regularly have students who arrive at school about 9:00-10:00. Ironically, many of the students who show up late are those who need the most help. They miss a lot of the school day, including small group tutoring. Worst of all, they miss breakfast. There's not too much we teachers can do about feeding the hungry children because the cafeteria closes to prepare for lunch at this time.

The majority of the children who attend my school and are late live only a few blocks away (maybe a 5 minute walk). It makes me so angry; of course not at the children, but at the parents. I've even had children who don't attend school because "mommy did not want to wake up". So, does anyone have a solution to this problem? How can the children learn if they are missing so much school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times
What is your school's policy on tardiness? If there is one, is the administration enforcing the policy? If not, not much you can do...it's the parent's responsibility to get their children there on time. It is unfair to the other children who show up on time if you have to spend more time back pedalling for the latecomers or absentees. Things like these really irritate me the most...public school is free, people always quip and say they are "entitled" to an education, yet there are those who don't take advantage of this opportunity, and wonder why at their lot later on in life.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
What is your school's policy on tardiness? If there is one, is the administration enforcing the policy? If not, not much you can do...it's the parent's responsibility to get their children there on time. It is unfair to the other children who show up on time if you have to spend more time back pedalling for the latecomers or absentees. Things like these really irritate me the most...public school is free, people always quip and say they are "entitled" to an education, yet there are those who don't take advantage of this opportunity, and wonder why at their lot later on in life.
There isn't too much that can be done about it. I work in an elementary school. In high schools, tardiness will have an effect on the grade. Our school really does not do this. Sometimes, the school will do a home visit for too many absences. A child can be held back for not attending, not really lateness.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
What state are you in? In TX the parents can get a truancy ticket for this and get hit with a $500 fine.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-11-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,709,455 times
Doesn't your school have a 'so many tardy make an absence' policy? Or are the rolls not really monitored? The teachers could demand a note for every late entrance...the parents would get tired of that rather quickly.

Unfamiliar, was not a truant myself until Middle School.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Doesn't your school have a 'so many tardy make an absence' policy? Or are the rolls not really monitored? The teachers could demand a note for every late entrance...the parents would get tired of that rather quickly.

Unfamiliar, was not a truant myself until Middle School.
We don't have the 'so many tardy make an absence' policy in elementary school. Many teachers call the home and send notes. The parents make excusesand promise to send the children on time. The children sometimes come on time for a day or two, then they are back to their old ways.

As far as demanding notes, you can ask that they send notes, but they don't.

I'm in NY

Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
We don't have the 'so many tardy make an absence' policy in elementary school. Many teachers call the home and send notes. The parents make excusesand promise to send the children on time. The children sometimes come on time for a day or two, then they are back to their old ways.

As far as demanding notes, you can ask that they send notes, but they don't.

I'm in NY
Isn't there some policy that makes being 10 minutes late different from being 2 hours late?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM

No. The principal wants us to work on punctuality, but really, what can we do?

I actually had a student arrive today at around noon.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM

It's going to take some kind of action against the parents. Unfortunately, there's probably nothing you could do yourself...the school would have to. Doesn't NY State have some type of law relating to truancy and penalties for the parents?

You could always try offering some type of reward to kids who are on time.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's going to take some kind of action against the parents. Unfortunately, there's probably nothing you could do yourself...the school would have to. Doesn't NY State have some type of law relating to truancy and penalties for the parents?

You could always try offering some type of reward to kids who are on time.
We are fighting poor attendance, parents who don't want to send their children in uniforms (despite the fact that they voted to be a uniform school), and lateness. It is so frustrating.

The school may be able to call Child Services and say that the parent is being neglectful. However, keep in mind the CS is very busy with cases of physical abuse and will not be willing to jump on it. I'm not speculating here, I asked a family member who used to work for CS. She said that tardiness would be a low priority.

If free breakfast isn't an incentive for the parents, what is? I'm not being cheeky here, I'm very serious. What kind of incentive do you think would work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education