Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM

15 posts, read 67,545 times

Advertisements

Hi, somebody here can give me some suggestions about how to make a presentation greatly in the public? I am afaid of speaking in the public but my job needs me to make a presentation at least a time in two days. More importantly, english is my second language instead of native language, it will exacerbate my trepidation of making a presentation in public.

So somebody here are english teacher or have the same experiences with me, could you tell me how to overcome this feeling and ultiamtely make a great presentation in the public?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Use brief notes on index cards to remember your main points - don't write out a speech. Speak at first towards the person who seems most interested, as if you are having a conversation with him. After a minute or so, speak towards other people and make brief eye contact. Practice what you plan to present a couple of times and time your presentation so you know if it is too long or short. Have a friend listen to your presentation. At the time of the real presentation, admit that it is your first time giving a presentation. Ask at the beginning for anyone who has done presentations to talk with you after yours and give you two or three quick pointers on how you can improve. People will have a hard time not liking your presentation if they are involved on your side trying to improve your skills. KEEP THE PRESENTATION AS BRIEF AS POSSIBLE while still conveying the needed information. Ask for questions afterward if you think it is needed. Enjoy. One you get through the initial jitters, it gets easier.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Find your local Toastmasters club and go speak to them. It's a great way to learn how to address crowds and they should be able to give you hints. The other thing I'd suggest is if you have a high school speech and debate club/team go talk to the coach and ask for some ideas. My son did speech and debate and he stuttered when he started it. He no longer stutters much and is not afraid or nervous to talk to any group.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Find your local Toastmasters club and go speak to them. There's usually one in every city and you should find them on the web or phone book. It's a great way to learn how to address crowds and they should be able to give you hints. The other thing I'd suggest is if you have a high school speech and debate club/team go talk to the coach and ask for some ideas. My son did speech and debate and he stuttered when he started it. He no longer stutters much and is not afraid or nervous to talk to any group.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Practice, practice, practice. I used to have an issue with public speaking and now it is something that I love to do. For me I would go over a presentation 20 or 30 times till I had it in my head anyway. I would also anticipate the audience that I was speaking to.

You may want to incorporate electronic media into your speach if you can. A power Point presentation does wonders and you have the chance to develop your presentation around your speach. Also a great way to write a speach if you can't use it during the presentation. You can keep your presentation on your lap top, a CD, or one of those little storage devices that everyone seems to keep with them now, just plug it in and your entire presentation is there.

For me I took a speach class at the local junior college. Not only did I use that class as an elective, I gained practical knowledge on giving a speach. When you practice your presentation do it infront of people, friends and family. That is another benefit to a speach class, it gives you a ready audience that will help you prepare a better speach. Something to remember is that the people you are talking to will listen to you if you are prepaired, can anticipate what questions they may have and answer those questions, make it fun and informative, and have fun presenting. My thoughts are that when you practice, practice, practice a speach you will do great and be able to present with confidence.

Now if I could just work on my editing skills.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 PM

15 posts, read 67,545 times
Thank you so much for above people to give me substantial help and suggestions about my question! I do appreciate it so much. I will take all of your suggestions seriously. Thank you!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
1. Do not speak so quickly as most people do when they're nervous.
2. Speak in a loud, clear voice. Nothing worse than a shy, quiet person trying to give a speech you can't hear.
3. Act confident, even if you aren't. We can sense trepidation.
4. Throw in an occasional joke to lighten the mode. People are more apt to listen then.
5. Use inflections in your voice. If you're monotone, you'll lose your audience in 5 minutes.
6. Watch your posture and gestures. If you're constantly swaying, it gets distracting.
7. Practice, practice, practice. And memorize. But please don't read word for word off the notes.
8. Don't worry about your accent.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:20 PM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times
Take an acting class. It teaches you to lower your inhibitions and lets you see that people see all parts of your body and how you move. Most people assume that if you look straight ahead that is how others will see you. No! Instead people see your mannerisms more than anything. Taking an acting class lets you see how others perceive you. After all the acting exercises, your self confidence will go up and your inhibitions will be gone. Life is a play!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education