Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,444,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
...although I had my issues with the group due to its being bogged down by 'the narcissism of small differences' (the debates were dominated by arguments among anarchosyndicalists and whatever their closest cousins are), ...

It just clicked. This is where the anti-intellectualism comes from in American culture (and dare I say, any culture that ever had intellectualism).

It's the narcissism of the Stupid. When Smart people act in a narcissistic manner, they are called intellectuals. When Stupid people do it, they're called anti-intellectual, and because of Smart phones and 24/7 cable news they can broadcast their Stupid, narcissistic behavior for the whole world to see.

There. Question answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 02:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Is it just me, or did P&OC just migrate en masse to the Education forum?

Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
An interesting point. This past weekend I had a long discussion with my youngest about the importance of humility in true scholarship. Every interaction with others is an opportunity to learn, but it's not an easy practice. We become entrenched in our own perspectives to the detriment of our growth as thinkers.

Recently I watched a video of a PhD in history who gave a talk on the Civil War. Halfway through the talk, an audience member confronted the speaker about an off-handed remark that perpetuated a common belief held by people on both sides of the conflict. (I won't go into it here, because it would possibly derail the thread.) The scholar stopped, grew quiet for a moment, and then said, "I believe you're right, and I apologize for the misstatement."

I was struck by the speaker's humility in that exchange. He could have succumbed to embarrassment and tried to cover for his blunder, but he owned up to it, and everyone present grew in knowledge as a result. Later on, he presented a couple of books by other historians that countered his own thinking about the subject, encouraging others to read them, so they could explore alternative views. "This is not my argument," he said, "but it's a good argument and presents a different perspective."

I'm not suggesting that we all start attending Flat Earth seminars, because not all beliefs have equal validity, but perhaps we could strive to open our minds and stop dismissing others out of hand before giving contrary ideas a fair shake.
That is great. Unfortunately it is also rare.

Who was the historian? I would like to see his videos.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:13 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I have no idea where people get that from. Might be the creationism in those school board meetings, climate change denial by politicians whose shorelines are literally going under water, southern congregation leaders actually believing the word is 5,000 year old. Yes the "opposite is true" - by that you mean the South is THE intellectual hotspot of the US I guess.

Its all very well asserting that the South is not a hotbed of anti-intellectualism (ok fair enough) but its absolute malarkey to tell us the "opposite is true"
What is "absolute malarkey" is those who believe that a small percentage who get news coverage, and a comedy TV show, actually represent anything to do with whether those in the south are or are not intellectual. Those few who you hear about make the news because they are so few and so ludicrous. What you mean that every person in the north is a New York financial expert and everyone in California is a movie star? I mean that's what they show on TV, right? And you know everyone in the south must be from Hooterville too.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:23 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times
Conservatism (because of the overwhelming fear that they will have to pay for others' education). This is only for those conservatives who are not wealthy. The wealthy ones already have degrees and lament that the cost of a "liberal education" is wasteful. However, these very same people likely benefited from college themselves. They want to keep the populace dumb so they don't really have to think.

If you haven't noticed they all parrot the same talking points taken from their favorite conservative pundits. Keep them stupid so they won't question what we're really doing.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:31 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Conservatism (because of the overwhelming fear that they will have to pay for others' education). This is only for those conservatives who are not wealthy. The wealthy ones already have degrees and lament that the cost of a "liberal education" is wasteful. However, these very same people likely benefited from college themselves. They want to keep the populace dumb so they don't really have to think.

If you haven't noticed they all parrot the same talking points taken from their favorite conservative pundits. Keep them stupid so they won't question what we're really doing.
Now THAT is funny!

Last edited by Informed Info; 08-22-2017 at 12:41 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Very true.

A teacher friend of mine told me that some of her Asian students' parents have asked the teachers not to do this - not to tell kids they are 'doing really well', they are 'winners' etc - when they are not.

They say it gives their children a false impression and stops them from working harder. They (the Asian parents) think their kids should be told exactly how bad they are, that they should knuckle down and strive to improve themselves.
I know someone who trained in Shotokan Karate during his time on Okinawa when he was in the USAF almost 60 years ago. He told me that was how he was trained. The sensei would never tell you what you were doing right, or praise you when you did something extraordinary.

There could be 10 moves you were doing not up to standard, and that was what the sensei would ride you on. Then after a while, you might notice that there are only 9 moves that you are getting criticized for doing wrong, and that meant you had finally mastered one of them (and there may be a new "#10" in its place).

Old 08-22-2017, 02:28 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Oh I don't know, it could be that intellectuals are not looked upon as role models. Our society revolves around a never-ending jock culture.

Hmmm. Perhaps in some ways this is true. Intellectual accomplishments do seem to take a back seat to certain athletic ones in being celebrated publicly. And in terms of real contributions their accomplishments receive more accolades than a lot of very significant intellectual ones. I once heard a professional football player describe his college education as majoring in zone defense with a minor in ripping off quarterbacks heads.

Mmm. stuff that helps us all live better lives , truly. While many breakthroughs is really good stuff sees credit taken by corporations for individual acheivement. While this is an issue, it does not, however, breed contempt for intellectualism. I think that revolves more around certain "intellectual" causes that have made headlines. Wildly radical things that are far outside mainstream thought and are agenda driven. Universities that have become far left think tanks and actively use their campuses as centers for , shall we say....RE-education. That is where animosity for "intellectuals" is coming from. Not from actual intellectual acheivment which is far to often buried in some big corporations bottom line.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
The uneducated masses were taught by politicians to distrust eggheads, basically.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I guess I must be an anti-intellectual as I avoid the company of people who fancy themselves intellectuals; I laugh at people with MENSA plaques on their walls and at 50 years old who still have college awards or even high school academic honors plaques hanging around. I have nothing but scorn for people who positions themselves with some dry "advanced" philosophy or whatever book just to be seen reading such high intellectual material, or who segregate themselves into clubs with other so called intellectuals and then peer through their closed blinds at all the lesser folk outside.

I prefer the company of people I see as actual intellectuals who are also anti-intellectual. Frankly I prefer the company of red necks to those who fancy themselves intellectuals. I even prefer the company of the family cat - and i do not much like cats.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education