Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 07:55 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who would like to learn English. He doesn't have time to go to a class (he runs his business 7-days a week), but he would like to start a home program, something on the computer, possibly. Does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced language course? You can send me a message with the product name if that's better. We've looked in to Rosetta Stone but that will probably be a last resort.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,016 times
Hai, learning English can be made easy by Mod cut - advertising online...u have lot of universities/colleges or Language trainers offering online English courses according to your convenient time and preferred pricing. They also offer short term courses which u could avail and be benefited.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-19-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 01:43 AM

16 posts, read 33,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I have a friend who would like to learn English. He doesn't have time to go to a class (he runs his business 7-days a week), but he would like to start a home program, something on the computer, possibly. Does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced language course? You can send me a message with the product name if that's better. We've looked in to Rosetta Stone but that will probably be a last resort.

Thanks!
Try here:
Learn Spanish in Spain. Study a course in Granada, Seville and Salamanca for a complete immersion in the Spanish Language!
Learn English in the Home of your tutor - InTuition Languages

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
Quote:
If there was an option for Spanish immersion that'd really be something to consider.
My English isnt good enough for me to be able to read those newspaper sites yet but thank you for the links for Mod cut - previously deleted link Hopefully i will be able to read from them soon! I am currently reading 'Dos Mundos' which is a bilingual online newspaper. it provides the page in spanish and english.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-26-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times
Whatever course you choose, make sure you study English phonetically, by how the language sounds. You should learn how the letters and all of the combinations of letters sound, and be sure to study four ways: reading, writing, listening, speaking, in that order from least to most challenging.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 PM

148 posts, read 624,049 times
Quote:

Thanks!

I've learned my English by translating books. I've listened to national public radio whenever I could. I've talked to English speaking people. I've had only the 3 month school of English language (strictly grammar - Mahani's Academy of English language in Chicago). I didn't have to pay lots of money for school. I am studying Spanish now without even going to school. I know, I can do it just by myself. All your friend needs is the will to learn. He/she doesn't need to spend a cent.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:39 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Is this guy more interested in reading, speaking/listening, or writing?

As computer courses go, I think Rosetta Stone is pretty good.

I have been studying Russian for about 15 years with the same tutor, a native Russian speaker, he says I'm tutoring his English as he tutors my Russian. If you can find someone who is interested in learning his native language, this might work. This obviously does more for reading than for free-form conversation.

This guy will probably need to try to study say 30 minutes +/- a day, it works better to study a little every day or at worst every other day, than to have a marathon session weekly.

If the guy can interact with the public at least some in his business, the "immersion" in English will be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education