Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:37 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times

Advertisements

One of my former students posted this link on his Facebook page. I'm very proud of him, as he is studying to be a teacher himself. This article illustrates the problem that the US faces when we do not ensure that all children are ready for academics by age 5.

The schools and children in the story are less than 15 miles from my school. The descriptions are accurate and disturbing. In some kindergarten classrooms, most of the children are completely unprepared for any group setting, and have no real experience with following directions, schedules, discipline, or taking turns. And yet teachers are expected to have their children meet the same benchmarks as students who have three or four years of preschool experience or be declared incompetent in the classroom. I just don't see that as equitable.

The US is only as strong as its weakest link. In education, that would be Mississippi.

Mississippi Learning: Why the State's Students Start Behind — and Stay Behind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Good article and post, though I'd like to respectfully suggest that the notion that education in the US is only as strong as its weakest link is faulty. That suggests that education is a monolith, and all are held back by the challenges of some. I disagree.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default The Weakest Link--Education in America is only as good as education in Mississippi

By that logic, MIT and Stanford = rural Mississippi grade schools.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,508 times
Are you into "group work"? This amounts to "have one or two students do all the work, while the other students do nothing, or very little at all, and write their name on the paper, while talking during the whole "project"".

Very little is accomplished with a group project. It wastes lots of time. Very little learning occurs.

Whole group direct instruction is the most efficient method of instructional delivery. There isn't any debate on this issue, for it is as true as saying that trees are green.

You're also not considering that Mississippi has a very high black population. Blacks typically do not do as well in school as other demographic groups. Thus, it stands to reason that Mississippi, as a whole, will not do as well on assessments as states who have fewer blacks.

The fact of the matter is that people need to face reality. Bad schools are not "failing schools". They're "failing schools" because they're filled with a failing student body; a group of students from a background whose home life and/or culture is one predisposed to failing.

All the talk of greater funding, smart boards, cooperative learning, project method, etc. means diddly if people aren't willing to be REAL. The schools have not failed the students. The students have failed themselves. The schools are merely the ones who receive the blame for parent ineptness, for it is not politically correct to blame the kids, their parents, or the constituents who will ensure that a politician stays in office.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
You're also not considering that Mississippi has a very high black population. Blacks typically do not do as well in school as other demographic groups. Thus, it stands to reason that Mississippi, as a whole, will not do as well on assessments as states who have fewer blacks.
Mississippi Learning: Why the State's Students Start Behind -- and Stay Behind - Yahoo! News

This just might have something to do with poverty, not race.

Quote:
One out of every two black children in Mississippi lives in poverty, compared with 16 percent of white children,
It might also have something to do with attendence

Quote:
In Canton, where school begins the second week of August, each year scores of students from kindergarten through 12th grade fail to show up until after Labor Day.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Are you into "group work"? This amounts to "have one or two students do all the work, while the other students do nothing, or very little at all, and write their name on the paper, while talking during the whole "project"".

Very little is accomplished with a group project. It wastes lots of time. Very little learning occurs.

Whole group direct instruction is the most efficient method of instructional delivery. There isn't any debate on this issue, for it is as true as saying that trees are green.

The fact of the matter is that people need to face reality. Bad schools are not "failing schools". They're "failing schools" because they're filled with a failing student body; a group of students from a background whose home life and/or culture is one predisposed to failing.

All the talk of greater funding, smart boards, cooperative learning, project method, etc. means diddly if people aren't willing to be REAL. The schools have not failed the students. The students have failed themselves. The schools are merely the ones who receive the blame for parent ineptness, for it is not politically correct to blame the kids, their parents, or the constituents who will ensure that a politician stays in office.

I'm not talking about doing instructional work in groups. I'm talking about learning how to operate as part of a group--listening for instructions, lining up, keeping your hands and feet to yourself, etc. These are norms that are commonly learned in early childhood experiences such as Sunday School or play dates. The children referenced in this article have no functional experience being in a group setting.

I am absolutely considering that Mississippi has a very high black population. In my 26 years of teaching, I have taught fewer than 20 white students, and the majority of them were at the alternative school where I only spent one semester. I have spent my entire career trying to help close the achievement gap. Fortunately, I have taught a lot of students who have taken on the task as well.

I don't agree that the students have failed themselves. We are talking about children who have been alive for less than 70 months. How could they be responsible for the situation in which they find themselves?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM

I just tried to go back to the link to the original article. It appears to have been removed.

I have found a copy at the Hechinger Report.

Last edited by lhpartridge; 07-31-2012 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Add link

Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
What do believe is the solution? Should Mississippi mandate pre-school for all 3 and 4 year olds? Or do we need to go back to the kindergarten model where it was a year to instill the skills you point out and not an academic year where reading and writing are taught?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I'm not talking about doing instructional work in groups. I'm talking about learning how to operate as part of a group--listening for instructions, lining up, keeping your hands and feet to yourself, etc. These are norms that are commonly learned in early childhood experiences such as Sunday School or play dates. The children referenced in this article have no functional experience being in a group setting.
In the sense of behavior in group, I agree with you. In terms of curriculum instruction in a group, I vehemently disagree. I think it's one of the worst problems in the schools.

Quote:
I am absolutely considering that Mississippi has a very high black population. In my 26 years of teaching, I have taught fewer than 20 white students, and the majority of them were at the alternative school where I only spent one semester. I have spent my entire career trying to help close the achievement gap. Fortunately, I have taught a lot of students who have taken on the task as well.
You can try to close that achievement gap, but I don't believe that it will ever be closed.

Quote:
I don't agree that the students have failed themselves. We are talking about children who have been alive for less than 70 months. How could they be responsible for the situation in which they find themselves?
At the early elementary level, certainly not. However, for late elementary, middle, and high school students, the students, and the influence from their parents, plays a significant role, far out of the range for the typical teacher to correct.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
What do believe is the solution? Should Mississippi mandate pre-school for all 3 and 4 year olds? Or do we need to go back to the kindergarten model where it was a year to instill the skills you point out and not an academic year where reading and writing are taught?
Why should this be the responsibility of the government of Mississippi? The problem is not one of Mississippi failing to advance students, educationally. The issue is one of the demographic realities facing the schools of Mississippi.

If you were to switch the populations of Maine and Mississippi, we'd be talking about failing Maine schools and "good" schools in Mississippi. It isn't the system failing the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education