Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which percentile (out of the general U.S. population) to do think you rank in terms of intelligen
Bottom 25% 4 4.71%
Bottom 50% 4 4.71%
Top 50% 10 11.76%
Top 25% 34 40.00%
Top 5% 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

I believe that survey is a bit top heavy. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are right, you can learn by being a good listener. But you have to be able to recognize when the person you are listening to is impressing you with intelligence or dazzling you with bull sheet.

And while some say to learn from your mistakes, I believe in learning by other peoples mistakes so that I will not make them.
Oh, but those who actually think they are intelligent don't impress me a bit. Not the tiniest bit.

No, I'd rather listen to someone who doesn't realize how intelligent he/she really is.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:25 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Not sure if this can be quantified. Is 'smartness' about being able to answer test questions? If so I'm in the top 10% based on my SAT scores a while back. However, how many could take apart and reassemble an engine? Or how many could lead a group of 20 people to safety in a highway snowstorm, or during a storm at sea? Is smartness based on experiences or the ability to learn from them...in which case maybe you were not smart the 'first time' with a given situation.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Not sure if this can be quantified. Is 'smartness' about being able to answer test questions? If so I'm in the top 10% based on my SAT scores a while back. However, how many could take apart and reassemble an engine? Or how many could lead a group of 20 people to safety in a highway snowstorm, or during a storm at sea? Is smartness based on experiences or the ability to learn from them...in which case maybe you were not smart the 'first time' with a given situation.
You just verified my point about seperating book smart from street smart.

But you also just added another ingregient when you mention the person who can lead a group of people to safety. For lack of a better term lets call that having a survival instinct. Exceptional survival instinct could be a learned skill but most people lose it when they are very young despite being born with it.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 AM

416 posts, read 712,855 times
What do we mean by smart?

One person might put themselves in the top 25% because they have good common sense. Another might put themselves in the top 25% because they are well educated. A third might put themselves in the top 25% because they are a successful entrepreneur. A fourth might put themselves in the top 25% because they are good at standardized tests.

Obviously there will be a lot of overlap in the above categories, but not everyone will excel in all areas.

Edit: Oops, others have already made this point, sorry.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
What do we mean by smart?

One person might put themselves in the top 25% because they have good common sense. Another might put themselves in the top 25% because they are well educated. A third might put themselves in the top 25% because they are a successful entrepreneur. A fourth might put themselves in the top 25% because they are good at standardized tests.

Obviously there will be a lot of overlap in the above categories, but not everyone will excel in all areas.

Edit: Oops, others have already made this point, sorry.
I had a formal IQ test done quite awhile back and I tested in something like the 84th percentile. Therefore, I put myself in the top 25% (since I would have been 16% from the top).

I'm assuming that this was based on IQ.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:18 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm assuming that this was based on IQ.
I doubt it. Most people have not being tested.

Why were you tested?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post

Why were you tested?
It was about 15 years ago...when I was in high school. I was being tested for learning disabilities.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post

Why were you tested?
Also...I understand that most people have not been tested. I should have phrased my post differently. What I meant was what people either know their IQ is OR what they perceive it to be in relation to everyone else's.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You just verified my point about seperating book smart from street smart.

But you also just added another ingregient when you mention the person who can lead a group of people to safety. For lack of a better term lets call that having a survival instinct. Exceptional survival instinct could be a learned skill but most people lose it when they are very young despite being born with it.
To be clear, being book smart and being street smart are not mutally exclusive positions. But, most of the street smart folk I know are educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education