Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yes throughout history young men have been drafted and sent to war. However this is the United States 2009 and now it would be young men and women drafted and sent off to war. Do you want your daughter drafted at 18 or 19? 21 or 22? How about 20? At what age would you feel it was good to draft daughters?
Women are still not required to register. That needs to be changed. Equal rights should mean equal responsibility. Period.

I don't feel ANY age is right to draft ANYONE. In an extreme emergency, it may be necessary. Ideally I'd say 22-30. They'd still have physical strength but also some more maturity.

My personal opinion is that we've become involved in far too many conflicts that we should have simply stayed out of. What goes on in other countries is none of our business unless it presents a threat to US....and I don't mean a threat to our oil supply. Certainly some action was necessary after 9/11 but we've gone way too far now.

I should add that I was registered with the Selective Service as required when I was 18-25 and, yes, I'm glad there was no draft in place at any time while I was in that age range. If there had been and I had been drafted, I would have accepted the obligation to serve my country.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-11-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,193,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Do you know why college isn't a 4 year commitment? Because parents don't insist that their muffins not waste their money.

I think the "commitment" in question was legal. The average parent doesn't require Johnny to sign a contract which has the potential to land him in federal prison if he breaks it. (How dare they coddle him so.)

Old 04-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Not trying to create new enemies on here...but I simply can't agree. I'd at least like to see them a few years older. Military can be great for some, but I'd prefer that they were at least old enough to legally drink before they enlist.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

That said, I firmly believe that college...at least the way it is now....is not the best choice for all young people. I'd like to see high schools add more vocational-type programs for students who are unlikely to succeed in college OR I'd like to see more trade schools/technical schools or colleges actually offering "degrees" in those areas.
Something we can agree on, afoigrokerkok. I figured it would happen eventually.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Well, thanks for posting that- I had no idea. I love the idea of the Peace Corps, and think it would be a great option for my kids. I wonder if there isn't a volunteer organization targeted to high school grads that could serve as an alternative to the military?

Mimi, look at Americorps, or check with the Quakers.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:21 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I think the "commitment" in question was legal. The average parent doesn't require Johnny to sign a contract which has the potential to land him in federal prison if he breaks it. (How dare they coddle him so.)
How dare they. He'll turn into a SISSY. No self respecting woman wants to marry a MOMMA'S BOY

Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times
Quote:
How dare they. He'll turn into a SISSY. No self respecting woman wants to marry a MOMMA'S BOY
So...require them to pay back any of the parents' money they waste.

What about transferring colleges? I agree it shouldn't happen more than once, but if a kid is miserable at one, they shouldn't have to stay there.

Just like if you don't like your job, you are well within your rights to try to find another one.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
So...require them to pay back any of the parents' money they waste.

What about transferring colleges? I agree it shouldn't happen more than once, but if a kid is miserable at one, they shouldn't have to stay there.

Just like if you don't like your job, you are well within your rights to try to find another one.

Ah, c'mon, how dare you make parallels between college and the real world!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,315,774 times
Quote:
One has nothing to do with the other. If the ranks are too few, and more are needed, the draft may come back into play. Then there would be no choice. Those 18 year olds would be going whether mom wanted them to or not.
When there is a draft, and there are possibilities that sweet little suburban boys will be called up, their parents will start questioning why they're needed. As long as it's a volunteer military, no one cares too much who we're fighting or why. Just wait. Watch for the backpedaling our 'leaders' will do when those suburban parents start yelling.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:54 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
When there is a draft, and there are possibilities that sweet little suburban boys will be called up, their parents will start questioning why they're needed. As long as it's a volunteer military, no one cares too much who we're fighting or why. Just wait. Watch for the backpedaling our 'leaders' will do when those suburban parents start yelling.
That is why the military and political leaders don't want conscription. With a volunteer army you asked for it.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,890 times
Quote:
I agree. It will be a whole different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education