Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times

Advertisements

When I was young, I had a January birthday, and started school at age 4, would not be 5 until January.
Anyway, in third grade, I was put on trial grade 4. I also had moved and chaged schools, which was hard when you are 8. In the fourth grade the teacher, did decide to let me repeat this grade, for time
to adjust to a different school, and all the stress you do have at that age. The next year it was great
because, I had done most of it the year b4, and the age difference we all were the same. Maybe
have them allow him to try grade 4, and go from there, he then could repeat that grade. Money wise
why waste money on a private school. I found grade 4 harder than grade 3, so to repeat that grade
was not so bad, and it gave me time to relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
We moved to a different state and I had all intentions of having my son who is 8, repeat 3rd grade this year. There's nothing really wrong with him academically, but the new state(Florida) has a cut off date of Sept 1 while my original state had a Dec 1 cut off. He has a Oct 29 birthday. I went to the new school to try to register him and they will not allow him to repeat 3rd because he had already completed 3rd in NY.

The new date would make it so my son will go through school sort of like he'd skipped a grade. He'll be 8 for a full 2 months into 4th grade while the other kids are 9 and 10. I'm just very uncomfortable with this situation. He's very small(54 lbs) and shy.

So now I'm trying to figure out my options... How hard will this fight be if I choose to challenge the school? I didn't realize the school would give me such trouble with this. Should this be a big enough issue to send him to private school(which would put a finacial strain in our budget) or perhaps even homeschool? I've even thought of not sending him to school until about 1/2 way through the school year so they'll have no choice but to have him go to 3rd, but maybe I'll get thrown in jail for truency or something.

Part of me thinks I could just send him into 4th, but then I worry about the future impact of his social and mental well being to be with kids who aren't even his chronological peers. I'm trying to make this transition as easy as possible for my son. I've considered doing the private school thing for 1 year(3rd grade), then putting him back into public school the next year, but would that end up being more disruptive than beneficial?

Anyways, just looking for opinions and advice... thanks.
I just thought I would re-post the question to bring it back to the OP's concern regarding how she can get her son placed in a third grade classroom.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,048 times
Try explaining your position to the superintendent of the school district where you are planning on attending. If he doesnt want to budge, threaten to pull your child and homeschool. They don't like losing the ADA $.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I just thought I would re-post the question to bring it back to the OP's concern regarding how she can get her son placed in a third grade classroom.
May not be possible with the budgets schools have. Also, why not try grade 4
and see if it works?

Old 07-12-2009, 06:56 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,339 times
If I send my son on to 4th grade and things do not go well, I would have a terrible time holding him back then, because the other kids would know he's being held back. I think that would be more damaging for my son's self esteem and I don't want to risk that.

If I send him to 3rd grade, no one would ever question whether he had to repeat a grade because he's in the correct grade for his age. We are in a completely different school in a completely different state where we know no one. He's got a lot of schooling left in his future. I might as well put him where he belongs now. This is my only chance to make it right for him.

As for my son, he knows he wouldn't be going to 3rd again because he "failed" 3rd grade. He understands it's simply because of his age. His cousin is 3 months younger and going to 3rd. Several of his friends were held back before kindergarten. Most of his playgroup friends from when he was a baby/preschool are going into 3rd. When he plays sports like baseball, he has to play down a grade because of his age. There's no race to finish highschool, so if it takes 13 years to graduate, so be it. At least he'll only still be 18 and it's probably better that he's not 17 and off to college.

Anyways, I guess all of you have made me realize that I truly want to have my son go to 3rd because that's where I feel he belongs. So, I'll try a bit harder to get the school to understand my reasons and search out alternatives if that doesn't work out.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:21 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,650 times
As an educator, I have witnessed parents who have held their children out of school in order to give them an advantage in sports or academics. Ridiculous. A few months will not make a huge difference, I think that having to explain your choosing to deny your child the opportunity to progress, will.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:04 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,358,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
As an educator, I have witnessed parents who have held their children out of school in order to give them an advantage in sports or academics. Ridiculous. A few months will not make a huge difference, I think that having to explain your choosing to deny your child the opportunity to progress, will.
That isn't the situation with the OP. Her child is in a grade ahead due to a different school districts age cut-off's. She's moving, and in the new school district (with a difference age cut-off) her son will be younger than his classmates (if he goes to 4th grade). She would like him to be with same age peers and feels it would be a better fit all way around. She isn't attempting to place him with younger children (to get an advantage). She would like him with children his age.

Makes sense to me . I did the same . And no regrets .

OP should make an appt with the principal to discuss registration. I'm sure it will all work out.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM

223 posts, read 531,737 times
No offense, but what does your son want to do? If he wants to stay back, then I would suggest talking to either a principal or assistant prinicipal with your son. You deffinately need to side step the front desk clerk here, as a parent I would imagine that you have the right to voice your concerns........You just need to get them heard by the right people, you may even want to call the guidance office at the school. When there are special circumstances you need an ally somewhere at that school......

Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,308 times
I do agree that you need to go to the counselor. Believe it or not most employees at the school want what is best for your child. I am thinking the front desk clerk really does not know the full procedure, go to the counselor.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:01 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,339 times
Thank you. I will email the asst. principal and see where that goes. The guidance counselors do not come back until about a week before school starts. Hopefully, I'll have this figured out before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education