Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 09:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times

Advertisements

I starting school next year and I have a question. I want to become an RN some day but right now I want to start out as an LPN or a MA ( medical assistant ). I know that many colleges offer a bridge-program for those LPNs who want to become RNs. Does MAs have the same opportunity's?
Also, what is the pay difference between LPNs and MAs.
A coworker of mine said that is is a waist of time to to the LPN course because they are replacing LPNs with MAs. Is that really true. Will I have a hard time fining a job as an LPN? I don't mind working in nursing homes. I know doctors offices are nice but they are hard even for RNs to get a job in.
Any advice would be appriciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 PM

314 posts, read 935,760 times
MA's usually work at clinics and not hospitals. I know the hospital I work at doesnt really utilize MA's. I have never heard of a bridge program for MA's. They have to go through the same process as people with no clinical background although they may get points in the acceptance process. Sorry that is all I could help with. I do know that LPN's make more than MA's.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:51 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
There is no bridge for MAs. Excelsior used to have one, but no more.

You will have a nursing license as an LPN. If you can get through the program, pass the boards, and don't mind working in a nursing home, you are better off with the LPN program.

LPNs can work in MA positions in clinics. The pay will probably be similar or possibly a little bit higher than the MA, but usually lower than in a nursing home or a hospital (depends on where you are living and working how much LPNs are used in a hospital setting).

The whole "phasing out LPN" story has been going around for years, decades even.

Your job opportunities will be greater with the LPN.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
The only skills that a CMA and RN/LPN would share is obtaining vital signs and (possibly) medication administration. Currently, LPNs are utilized primarily in assisted living/nursing homes and some ambulatory care practices, but that may not be the case across the country. Most ADN programs require students to be currently certified nurse assistants, but of course, a currently licensed LPN exceeds that requirement. If you are truly interested in becoming a registered nurse, you are better off as either a CNA or LPN.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:50 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,858 times
If you want to become an RN, go for the LPN, then later you can get into a bridge program from LPN to RN. If you have no patient experience it would help you to work as a CNA. You can take classes at a nursing home for free to become a CNA. I was a CNA, then became an LPN, then an RN.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Thanks ya'll for your answers!
I will go for the LPN and try to work as a CNA wile I go to school, if I can.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Another option: Paramedic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education