Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 06:54 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It is much cheaper there, especially now. They do get paid a bit less out there, though. Many of my teachers in Orange County lived in Corona. I would not want to do that drive everyday, that's for sure.
Yeah, my teachers in Santa Barbara usually lived in Santa Ynez, Ventura, or Camarillo. Camarillo to SB can be 2 hours in the morning! I remember one teacher in particular spent most nights sleeping at her sister's house in town, and only went home to Camarillo on the weekends to see her husband and daughter. That's sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,417 times
Ikb0714, you seem to have a very inflated sense of yourself.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Tell the students they may not 'hang out' in your room. Inform them of tutoring hours and only tutor during those hours. Our high school teachers don't allow such behavior...they aren't on demand whenever the students show up. Most of my high school teachers wouldn't allow that either.
It sounds like you could easily get many more hours of work done during the school week....it's up to you to make it happen. If you don't choose to make it happen then you can hardly complain about working on weekends.
They wouldn't allow students to come after school for help? What kind of teacher does that? I hope not one that my kids ever have.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
They wouldn't allow students to come after school for help? What kind of teacher does that? I hope not one that my kids ever have.
In your post though, you said there are plenty of kids who just hang around until school starts. That is different than helping them with work. I don't know anyone who stays after for 1/2 an hour or comes in early to do free tutoring. In fact, the first bell rings at 8:20 am and the doors to the school aren't unlocked until 8:10 and school starts at 8:35.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Folks, I have been a way from this forum for awhile and nothing has changed. Don't some of you ever get tired of the same old same old? Isn't the faculty lounge enough to keep you going?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 PM

191 posts, read 457,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Folks, I have been a way from this forum for awhile and nothing has changed. Don't some of you ever get tired of the same old same old? Isn't the faculty lounge enough to keep you going?
What's a faculty lounge?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr4tigers View Post
What's a faculty lounge?
Many schools have them. A place for teachers to go when they have the time to relax and converse with their neighbors

Old 04-19-2010, 04:54 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr4tigers View Post
What's a faculty lounge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Many schools have them. A place for teachers to go when they have the time to relax and converse with their neighbors
Or to check your mailbox (damn I have to do that tomorrow).
Or make copies.
Or to get your lunch from the refrigerator (assuming the Fridge Bandit hasn't eaten half your sandwich).
Or to take an "important" phone call that absolutely can't wait and then the parent hangs up before you get there.
Or to try to find the first year teacher whose class you just covered because he "just couldn't teach today".
Or to look at the most recent motivational poster put up by the Administration.
Or to ask which female staff member is storing her panty hose in the fridge's freezer to sterilize them.
Or to shoot the breeze with the bus drivers who hang out there.

I try to stay out of the staff lounge because many teachers who do hang out there are the complainers who wait in ambush for new targets to come in.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
In your post though, you said there are plenty of kids who just hang around until school starts. That is different than helping them with work. I don't know anyone who stays after for 1/2 an hour or comes in early to do free tutoring. In fact, the first bell rings at 8:20 am and the doors to the school aren't unlocked until 8:10 and school starts at 8:35.
That's not what I meant. They know I'm there early/late so I'm the teacher they go to for help. If they were just hanging out, I could still get things done.

We're a charter school so students/parents are on their own for transportation. This results in many students being dropped off well in advance of school starting or well after it ends. Any of my students in those groups will come in and get help with assignments. If they could walk home or take a bus home, I'm sure they'd be home playing on the Wii instead of getting tutoring.

I do have kids who will come into my room because they can't stay in the building unless they're with a teacher but they just sit and play cards while I tutor other kids. The ones who are stopping me from doing work are the ones who are asking for my help.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
All teachers around here are required to stay after school for extra help (aka free tutoring) a minimum of two days per week. That isn't just my school but also my daughters, and the district I used to teach at. Maybe its a regional thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education