Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

NoExcuses--I am not a teacher, I am a parent. I don't know were you live but I am very thankful I don't live there. The problems you see with your schools are not issues we have here. Our schools are wonderful. They do an excellent job of educating the kids. We have 94% of our kids going on to 4 year colleges, 4% go on to community college/tech school or military. We have a well funded system and responsible administration that is supportive of the staff and students. The more I read about other areas on this board the more I am glad that I live in MN because according to everyone else here their schools are crap. I wonder how all of these kids will EVER survive. There just aren't that many kids in MN so I am not sure how all these colleges around the country are filling up, but maybe there are more kids in MN then I though .
Part of the difference is how different parts of the country organize school districts. It's foolish to compare a suburban district like Hopkins SD in Minnesota, with less than 8000 students, or Dublin OH, with 14,000, to a major metropolitan area like Hillsborough County, FL with 194,000 enrolled in one county-wide system. Just as a note of comparison, there are nearly as many kids in Hillsborough in SpEd alone as there are in Hopkins's entire district (Dublin, ftr, had a grand total of 42). Clearly, comparing things like funding, graduation rates and SAT scores is going to be an exercise in silliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Part of the difference is how different parts of the country organize school districts. It's foolish to compare a suburban district like Hopkins SD in Minnesota, with less than 8000 students, or Dublin OH, with 14,000, to a major metropolitan area like Hillsborough County, FL with 194,000 enrolled in one county-wide system. Just as a note of comparison, there are nearly as many kids in Hillsborough in SpEd alone as there are in Hopkins's entire district (Dublin, ftr, had a grand total of 42). Clearly, comparing things like funding, graduation rates and SAT scores is going to be an exercise in silliness.
Our district has about 27,000 kids. I don't care how many students you have, the percentages COULD still be the same everywhere if parents and the schools were up to par. Statewide MN has roughly 90% of their kids going on to 4 year colleges, which is a lot more kids then 190,000.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
In fact, if we solved our cultural problems, I would expect that our educational issues would improve even without additional funding.
You're right. And more money won't solve those cultural problems either. In fact, you could make a strong case that the money we have spent trying to 'solve' those cultural problems has made them a lot worse.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Statewide MN has roughly 90% of their kids going on to 4 year colleges, which is a lot more kids then 190,000.
Less than twice as many, actually, and you're comparing a fairly rural state to one part of a metropolitan area (the Tampa Bay Area, just as an example, has two primary school districts, and parts of three others).

Quote:
Our district has about 27,000 kids. I don't care how many students you have, the percentages COULD still be the same everywhere if parents and the schools were up to par.

IOW, "If things were completely different, they could be different". Well, gosh... yeah.

My other question here is...why are we assuming 90% of kids going on to four year colleges is a good thing? Doesn't society need plumbers, florists, pharmacy techs, butchers, stonemasons...? Or is that what liberal arts majors are for?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You're right. And more money won't solve those cultural problems either. In fact, you could make a strong case that the money we have spent trying to 'solve' those cultural problems has made them a lot worse.
I would think liberalism has done that.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Less than twice as many, actually, and you're comparing a fairly rural state to one part of a metropolitan area (the Tampa Bay Area, just as an example, has two primary school districts, and parts of three others).

IOW, "If things were completely different, they could be different". Well, gosh... yeah.

My other question here is...why are we assuming 90% of kids going on to four year colleges is a good thing? Doesn't society need plumbers, florists, pharmacy techs, butchers, stonemasons...? Or is that what liberal arts majors are for?
Well, that leaves 10% to be plumbers and whatnot then doesn't it??

Old 06-06-2010, 06:46 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. 14th & You View Post
One of the problems is the de-professionalization of teachers. A lot of people believe that experience in a school setting as a student or parent is all you need to "understand" how to teach children. As well, with the increasing standardization of curricula, some districts have reams of scripted lesson plans that teachers are expected to follow. When such a system is followed to the letter, the teacher is no more than a glorified proctor reading from a recipe book. With growing cynicism amongst taxpayers, it's then logical that folks might think, "Why pay more for a glorified proctor to read from a pre-written lesson plan?"

As an NCLB "highly qualified" teacher, who invested a lot of money to retrain as a teacher, I'm all for increased pay, loan forgiveness, and low-cost continuing education programs. As well, I'd love to plan engaging lessons that are appropriate for my students without having to worry whether or not I can afford the materials such a lesson would involve.

Interesting (if unrealistic) thought experiment: What if, for just one year, the federal government invested in education the amount of money we spend on defense in one year?
Gosh could you imagine~ But then agin it's only for OUR kids right

Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Our district has about 27,000 kids. I don't care how many students you have, the percentages COULD still be the same everywhere if parents and the schools were up to par. Statewide MN has roughly 90% of their kids going on to 4 year colleges, which is a lot more kids then 190,000.
How far off could you possibly be? First, I just really doubt that 90% of all kids go to college in MN.

http://www.all4ed.org/files/HighCost.pdf 2005-06 grad rate for MN: 79%

projected for 2009 dropouts: 14,000 (old data)

Graduation rate goes from 90 percent to 73 percent -- Why? | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ

Quote:
Minnesota education officials have pointed with pride to the state's high school graduation rate -- which was 90 percent in 2005 -- as among the nation's best. But a new formula adopted just recently puts the rate for the same year, 2005, at a more lowly 73 percent.
College Participation - LearnmoreMN

Gee, here it states that 64% chose to attend college in MN in 2006. What about your drop out rate? I believe your "90%college" is a distortion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I would think liberalism has done that.
I agree.
Quote:
You have a lot more than 10% in MN to be plumbers, etc..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
It leaves a whole lot of people who will never use their college degrees. Which is okay, I guess, since a number of those who are in your 90% college bound group will never graduate anyway, since they don't belong there in the first place. But hey--- the Student Loan Commission will get fat and happy, so it's all good, at least until the defaults roll in.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
How far off could you possibly be? First, I just really doubt that 90% of all kids go to college in MN.

http://www.all4ed.org/files/HighCost.pdf 2005-06 grad rate for MN: 79%

projected for 2009 dropouts: 14,000 (old data)

Graduation rate goes from 90 percent to 73 percent -- Why? | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ
College Participation - LearnmoreMN

Gee, here it states that 64% chose to attend college in MN in 2006. What about your drop out rate? I believe your "90%college" is a distortion.
I agree.You have a lot more than 10% in MN to be plumbers, etc..
I expect Golf was referring to her itty bitty corner of Minnesota, and extrapolating to assume the whole nation can be measured by their experience.

I also expect that the statistic of "90% of our kids" refers to those who graduate in any given year, not all of those who started 4 years earlier. Even allowing for population transience, there will be a discrepancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education