Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

This should be exciting news for all those El Pasoans who were not happy to have the military families moving here.

Army cuts will affect Fort Bliss: Officials are unsure of impact to post - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 AM

27 posts, read 88,728 times
I appreciate that many natives dislike the Army's presence on their culture and town, but how much of an economic contribution does Fort Bliss bring to the community? How many people are able to rent their homes and find employment because they directly support the military's presence here? If that goes away, a lot of local will soon be asking for the Army to return to support their economy. And with Juarez in its current state, Fort Bliss won't be leaving anytime soon.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,139,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
I appreciate that many natives dislike the Army's presence on their culture and town
I think the word some is a better choice. In the age of social media, anyone can post their view for many to see. It literally makes it seem bigger than it is.

Quote:
but how much of an economic contribution does Fort Bliss bring to the community? How many people are able to rent their homes and find employment because they directly support the military's presence here?
Interesting question. Many have speculated about that on here before. The local government wants Fort Bliss here and welcomes the expansion. I seriously doubt Fort Bliss would ever go away. Even it was severely downsized, it would be because anyone local wanted that or decided that. That decision would obviously came from way way way above.

Quote:
And with Juarez in its current state, Fort Bliss won't be leaving anytime soon.
Interesting statement. Are you intimating that Fort Bliss protects us from Juarez? Or am I misunderstanding your statement? Perhaps you were making an economic statement?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 PM

27 posts, read 88,728 times
I am saying the expansion of Fort Bliss, is in part, due to increased violence in Jaurez. Not entirely as there are many moving parts, but the threat it could pose to the US is definitely a factor in expansion.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
From the Wiki El Paso, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The military installation of Fort Bliss is a major contributor to El Paso's economy. Fort Bliss began as a Cavalry post in 1848. Today, Fort Bliss is the site of the United States Army's Air Defense Artillery Center and produces approximately $80 million in products and services annually, with about $60 million of those products and services purchased locally. Fort Bliss' total economic impact on the area has been estimated at more than $1 billion, with 12,000 soldiers currently stationed at the Fort. During the 2005 round of Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC), Fort Bliss came out an enormous winner. By 2013, BRAC growth is expected to add almost 28,000 new troops, 16,000 new spouses, and 21,000 new children to the El Paso community. The growth is expected to create a strong economic ripple throughout the El Paso area. With the growth in Fort Bliss, the economy is expected to profit an additional $10 billion by 2012, and an additional $5 billion each year after that.
I would expect that most thinking people in El Paso are happy to have any entity there that adds a billion dollars per year to the local economy.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
I liked having a military presence in Alamogordo....and I would have liked having Fort Bliss military in El Paso, too, if I had moved there.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 PM

CptRn, is the air defense artillery still at Fort Bliss?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
CptRn, is the air defense artillery still at Fort Bliss?
I know of no reason to think it is not still there. I'm not in the military. This wiki website indicates that the 32d Army Air and Missile Defense Command is in El Paso. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32nd_Ar...efense_Command

I found this interesting information on the Fort Bliss website. They are projecting massive growth.

Quote:
As the commanding general of Fort Bliss, let me be the first to welcome you and your family. Currently, we are immersed in the biggest transformation in our 160-year history, with a projected 300% population increase by 2012. The population increase corresponds to re-stationing one generation of several brigade combat teams, the 1st Armored Division headquarters and numerous supporting units. The Army is investing $5 billion in construction for new, top-of-the-line facilities for incoming personnel and their Families.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:04 PM

I could be totally wrong about this. Just going by what I read on another forum. The discussion was about the crime and police incidents that the Fort Bliss expansion has brought with it. One guy stated it was because of the type of positions now at Fort Bliss. He stated the high tech jobs like the ADA are no longer there but that there are far more infantry positions. Again, I have no idea if this is accurate or not. In his opinion, that is why there is so much more problems with soldiers and crime in El Paso. Not because of the expansion but because the type of soldier now coming to El Paso.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 12,405 times
I am getting ready to come to Ft. Bliss on a 7 month project as a contractor. You folks in El Paso better be thanking God you have Ft. Bliss there or you would be overrun by the cartels in pretty short order. I was active duty Navy in Norfolk in the day where there were still signs in yards that said "Sailors and dogs keep off". Well the general population of the Navy base decided to stay on base one Friday night and show the people how much economic influence the base had and it opened the eyes of the businesses in a hurry. Never ever wish the military base in your community would go away. They not only provide economic input but they are there to protect you as well and you should be thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso