Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember Hobo Joe's restaurant's? We used to have one here on the corner of McCombs and Dyer. I remember as a kid going in there and there was a statue of a hobo and his little dog. For some reason I recall the food being very good too.. even though that was a very long time ago. I wonder what happened to the statue that stood in the restaurant here?

Later the Hobo Joe's became K'Bobs steak house, and now its a Mexican place.

Sundays were always special as a kid.. My Grandmother and I would goto Church at the First Presbyterian Church on Murchison, but before we would drive out that way we would fill up on gas at Will's Chevron on Fairbanks.. After Church we always ate at the Hobo Joe's. Funny the stuff you remember from your childhood..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 05:58 AM

90 posts, read 268,832 times
Yeah I do remember but very vaguely. I'm trying to remember this restaurant downtown maybe south of the plaza that was always open Sunday morning when I used to come back from Juarez.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:02 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Hey, Muhnay, what kind of place was Hobo Joe's? What was their specialty?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner.. I was temp banned from posting. but anyways..

I recall it being kinda like a truck stop.. in that no one thing was its specialty. I remember the salad bar.. and the chicken fried steak, as a kid I loved chicken fried steak.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:44 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Does anyone remember Hobo Joe's restaurant's? We used to have one here on the corner of McCombs and Dyer. I remember as a kid going in there and there was a statue of a hobo and his little dog. For some reason I recall the food being very good too.. even though that was a very long time ago. I wonder what happened to the statue that stood in the restaurant here?

Later the Hobo Joe's became K'Bobs steak house, and now its a Mexican place.

Sundays were always special as a kid.. My Grandmother and I would goto Church at the First Presbyterian Church on Murchison, but before we would drive out that way we would fill up on gas at Will's Chevron on Fairbanks.. After Church we always ate at the Hobo Joe's. Funny the stuff you remember from your childhood..
Thanks for the memory of that as i vaguely remember it. Wasn't it a ''Bobs Big Boy'' before that if i remember correctly.....

Old 11-27-2007, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 14,026 times
I have lived right around the corner from the location of the former Hobo Joe's on Dyer/McCombs since 1968, when I was 7.

I do not remember it being a Bob's Big Boy before that. In fact, the entire desert there was empty, as I used to play there and ride a horse in that desert patch.

I remember Hobo Joe's as a Denny's-like restaurant with excellent food! It was there through my high school years. They had the best strawberry pancakes and patty melts ever.

I still have a Hobo Joe's coffee cup, which is a tall, cream-colored cup with a sort of curved stem and curved handle with an image of a hobo on the front of it.

Yep, I miss Hobo Joe's every time I drive by there.....

Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 AM

200 posts, read 610,097 times
I remember there being a Hobo Jo's on the Eastside next to the airport (maybe on Airway's). Also, I remember there being one on Mesa next to Kemp Ford, anyone remember that one. Kind of a Denny's/Village Inn analogue, menu as well?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:04 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,100 times
There use to be a Hobo Joe's on Montana between Bassett Center and the Airport, and it did have a Denny's kinda atmosphere and setting, remember when Denny's use to be called Sambos?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM

200 posts, read 610,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
There use to be a Hobo Joe's on Montana between Bassett Center and the Airport, and it did have a Denny's kinda atmosphere and setting, remember when Denny's use to be called Sambos?
That must've been the one! Ahh... the good ole days! My grandparent's favorite place to take us. You know, I get Sambos & Hobo Joe's confused. I definitely remember the Hobo Joe's & a Hobo statue at the front entrance, but did EP have a Sambo's also? Thought Sambo's & Denny's were separate chains.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,100 times
Yeah thats the one alright I think it was close to some overpass bridge by the railroad tracks, cant really remember if it is a pedestrian bridge across Montana, and FYI I do believe that Sambos is now called Denny's, the name Sambo's was racially controversal from the very begining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso