Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times

Advertisements

My favorite restaurant in El Paso is the Golden Corale. But I think all these really fat people are going to kill that deal. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet, and the fattest people in Texas eat there on a regular basis. But the food is very good for a buffet, there is nothing like it in the northeast.

Last edited by 1979; 09-22-2008 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: correct split infinitive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 AM

262 posts, read 781,867 times
A split infinitive? You have GOT to be an English Major. Brie

Old 09-22-2008, 04:11 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
My favorite restaurant in El Paso is the Golden Corale. But I think all these really fat people are going to kill that deal. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet, and the fattest people in Texas eat there on a regular basis. But the food is very good for a buffet, there is nothing like it in the northeast.
HAHAHA.. Why do you think they call those place Corrals.. The best one I have been too is CHUCK O RAMA.. hahaha gotta love the name.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM

447 posts, read 1,580,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
Yea too many Mexican resturants in ELP. Maybe an Alamo Drafthouse type resturant.

You can get dinner and a movie at the sametime. Check this out:

Alamo Drafthouse :: Main Page

You guys need a Brazilian Steakhouse. Check this out:

Welcome to Fogo de Chão

A few more Japanese Steakhouses. Check this out:

Tokyo Steak House & Sushi Bar

I know you all got Rudy's recently but this would be better:

Jack Stack Barbecue - Official Site - First Taste of KC

I know the money is there in ELP. Somebody just gotta grow some balls and open up some joints like the ones I described.
Damn, I was just in San Antonio and chose to go see Batman at the IMAX instead of the Drafthouse. Oh well, maybe next time.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:42 PM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times
Here is my take on restaurants as a relative ELP newbie and CA raised. I love local spots. But when folks are coming to visit or are from out of town, the familiar is sometimes what they seek at first. I know when I moved here I was comforted seeing Chili's and Applebee's...not the best or necessarily my favorite, but familiar. it's like you are driving down a deserted highway and you see McDonald's...not your first choice but you know what to expect.

Especially in the context of tourists and visitors, some of these chains may be "necessary evils". Since moving here, I have tried and enjoyed local places, including, yes, Chico's Tacos. I am a Westsider, so I have tried some of the restaurants from UTEP westward mostly.

Oh...just saw a flyer in my place of work advertising a new German restaurant. I'll try to find it. And Haggis? Never had it, but I tend not to discount anything until I try it.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 PM

262 posts, read 781,867 times
Hey Caltep,
Do you remember the name and location of the German Restaurant? Brie

Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 PM

200 posts, read 610,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorcraftbc65 View Post
She just says that she is old, tired, and wants to retire. There is a for sale sign out in front of the place. That was the ONLY bastion of civility, good food, and gemutlichkeit in a border town, that to a great extent, is populated by uncultured, ignorant, functionally illiterate, illegals. I'm halfway between El Paso and Carlsbad, I think I will just start shopping in Carlsbad from now on.
Brie
God, I hope she can hold out until Nov 17th. That's when I get back to the States & my hometown. I grew up on the West side of town & just never ate there...but it was always an El Paso staple for me! Meant to, but we'd always end up at Julio's. Shame on me! Furthermore, I went to school w/her daughter & she was a good friend. There used to be another German restaurant way back when that closed in 83 or 84 called "Heinz's" due to a fire. They had good food also!

Last edited by anelizk; 09-22-2008 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: word omission

Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
The idea of HAGGIS is nasty.. but man it taste so good.. I have a friend in Scotland that has become like a brother to me.. he over night shipped in dry ice some Scottish food and drink.. because he knew how much I missed it.

In Seattle they have these little Russian sandwich shops with these meat filled breads and beat soup.. that is something else I would love to have here. Just look and you'll see why I miss that food so much..

Piroshky Bakery: Home: Best Russian Bakery This Side of the World!
Don't know if you're familiar, usually during around the Spring or Fall, St. George's Eastern Orthodox Church (on Festival st. EP's West side) has a huge Middle Eastern Food Fundraiser/Festival & they sell meat pies quite similar to a Piroshky. I think Piroshkies are better, but you can buy them at this fundraiser in bulk & freeze them & they'll definitely satisfy your craving. It usually garners attention in the EP Times so keep a look out!

Last edited by anelizk; 09-22-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: word omission

Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post

Amen to that! It's an awesome deal, w/ a variety of food ranging from very healthy to unhealthy. To me, Golden Corral is the answer to yesteryear's Luby's, Furr's & good old fashion " cafeteria, mess hall" food! I'm so going there when I get back to the States!

Last edited by anelizk; 09-23-2008 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: word omission

Old 09-23-2008, 05:55 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelizk View Post
God, I hope she can hold out until Nov 17th. That's when I get back to the States & my hometown. I grew up on the West side of town & just never ate there...but it was always an El Paso staple for me! Meant to, but we'd always end up at Julio's. Shame on me! Furthermore, I went to school w/her daughter & she was a good friend. There used to be another German restaurant way back when that closed in 83 or 84 called "Heinz's" due to a fire. They had good food also!
Heinz!! That was around the corner for me!! On Montana and Chelsea. Now there is a blockbuster there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso