Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:26 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times

Advertisements

The Call Center I work for has a facility in El Paso. I've been itching to go for a while. In a few months I may ask for a transfer. WHat is El paso like?. Public Transportation, decent downtown, decent bars, women (WHite and Hispanic) Actually I could really go for a mixed Mexican and Caucasion. Whoo!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:47 PM

135 posts, read 241,140 times
Don't transfer. I would expect a pay cut for you, as the pay scale in El Paso is lower, being a border town and all.. and the call centers here have a high turn over rate, meaning if they don't like you they know they have 200 other people who are willing to kiss ass for that job, and that means your outta here.

Downtown is improving. Bars we have a million of them, its what we do here. I have never used its public transportation, but from people I know that do, they say it sucks. I don't know though they could just be bitter. Women there are some hot women in this town, but where is there not.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM

797 posts, read 752,469 times
Echostar Im assuming?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM

643 posts, read 1,313,500 times
There are many good reasons to move to El Paso, but they just have to make sense to you. Maybe you can come and visit for a few days and see if you like it? If you do get the transfer I suggest you get a short term lease, decide what side of town you like and then make a more permanent move! Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The Call Center I work for has a facility in El Paso. I've been itching to go for a while. In a few months I may ask for a transfer. WHat is El paso like?. Public Transportation, decent downtown, decent bars, women (WHite and Hispanic) Actually I could really go for a mixed Mexican and Caucasion. Whoo!!!!
Yeah, I'd also say to visit first before trying for a transfer. IME, public transportation is very inconvenient there. If you have all day to get somewhere, and don't have to be anywhere after 8:30pm, fine. Most of the people I've seen on EP busses were elderly. Otherwise, it's very much a car culture there. Lots of sprawl, and even before that, as far back as I can remember, they tend to be hostile to pedestrians and bicyclists. Be prepared to drive everywhere, and watch out for all the tailgaters and reckless drivers. There are lots of auto accidents there. Get extra insurance to cover you in case someone uninsured sideswipes or rear-ends you. I speak from experience, except that in my case, those drivers who hit me were insured, but you can never be too sure.
There are plenty of bars throughout the city, a good variety.
Not too many white women, but some mixed like you're looking for here and there.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
I would try to live as close to downtown as I could.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I would try to live as close to downtown as I could.
I would try to live in a nice neighorhood as close to work as possible.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I would try to live in a nice neighorhood as close to work as possible.
Make sure it's a nice secure job with an employment contract or a union, because otherwise, employment is 'at-will', and if they don't like the way you walk or the sound of your voice, etc., they can fire you on a whim and you can't do diddley-squat about it, and then have to get a new job and start all over again (okay, I'm projecting), but then what if the next job you find happens to be too far from where you already live?
The point is, society and business change so rapidly these days, so there isn't the continuity that there used to be decades ago. So I wouldn't advise letting your current job dictate where you live and letting your life revolve around it, but the other way around...unless, of course, you're renting short term or month-by-month.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Yeah, I'd also say to visit first before trying for a transfer. IME, public transportation is very inconvenient there. If you have all day to get somewhere, and don't have to be anywhere after 8:30pm, fine. Most of the people I've seen on EP busses were elderly. Otherwise, it's very much a car culture there. Lots of sprawl, and even before that, as far back as I can remember, they tend to be hostile to pedestrians and bicyclists. Be prepared to drive everywhere, and watch out for all the tailgaters and reckless drivers. There are lots of auto accidents there. Get extra insurance to cover you in case someone uninsured sideswipes or rear-ends you. I speak from experience, except that in my case, those drivers who hit me were insured, but you can never be too sure.
There are plenty of bars throughout the city, a good variety.
Not too many white women, but some mixed like you're looking for here and there.
Have you tried the buses lately? Actually there are lots of UTEP students on them and other students. They can be a great way to relax and not fight the horrendous traffic of El Paso.

Sprawl is terrible, it seems people want to live as far from their jobs as they possibly can and so many subdivisions are springing up on the outskirts. And yes, not many whites live in El Paso if that's an issue. It's very much a Mexican culture town.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
My boss is from the El Paso office and she said in march I can go down there for a while and and then come back. Other people now want in on this idea. Also people from El Paso that want to see snow are welcome to come up to PA. Due to my inquiry some sort of employee exchange program is seriously being discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso