Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times

Advertisements

Surely this is a joke!

And it isn't even April Fool's Day for another month.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
I'm not sure I understand the source of people complaining this time. The stadium was always going to get a sponsor. Southwest University paid to sponsor it. I don't understand the problem. The Dallas Cowboys play in ATT Stadium. The Dallas Mavericks play in the American Airlines Arena. This is just the way it goes now.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Why does the tenant (the team) make the deal and get the revenue and not the owner (the city)?

Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Surely this is a joke!

And it isn't even April Fool's Day for another month.

And the Arizona Cardinals play in University of Phoenix Stadium.. So what??

I'm sure the new state-of-the-art stadium in downtown is going to be amazing and that's what really matters here. Is it the best sounding name for a stadium, no, is it the worst name, not really.

On the very same day that Southwest University Park was revealed to be the new name for our ballpark, The Salt Lake Bees (our future Pacific Coast League - Pacific Conference - Southern Division rival) were renaming their own stadium Smith's Ballpark, after the Smith's grocery chain. That's just how it goes these days. The highest bidder gets their name all over the stadiums and arenas. The same goes for all the bowl games out there.

I actually think the new logo for the stadium looks pretty sweet, I really like the Star with the mountain and the Union Depot style tower that will go in the stadium and the logo.

Anyway, I think that the fans will end up giving the new ballpark a nickname anyway, something like the doghouse or the dog pound, or who knows. Just like the people affectionately gave the Don Haskins Center the nicknames: "The Don" and "The Bear's Den".

Last edited by Chuco; 03-07-2014 at 01:25 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
And the Arizona Cardinals play in University of Phoenix Stadium.. So what??
My first reaction to the news was based on the questionable credentials of the El Paso "university." The name itself wasn't that odd. But then the University of Phoenix is also well-known for questionable practices, to wit:

Quote:
The New York Times reported that
enrollments at the University of Phoenix and in the for-profit sector over all have been declining in the last two years, partly because of growing competition from other online providers, including nonprofit and public universities, and a steady drumroll of negative publicity about the sector’s recruiting abuses, low graduation rates and high default rates ... including many charges that the schools enrolled students who had almost no chance of succeeding, to get their federal student aid.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,670 times
I'm gonna call it the SUP.

Me: SUP for tonight.

Wife: I don't know maybe watch a movie?

Me: No, SUP for tonight!

Wife: I just said watch a movie.

Me: No, SUP for tonight to watch The Chihuahua's chew up the Salt Lake Bee's.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I'm gonna call it the SUP.
Me: How about 'Soup?'

Old 03-08-2014, 11:35 AM

238 posts, read 420,489 times
Southwest University, isn't that place basically a diploma farm? #embarrassed for the next 20 years.

Does anybody know why UTEP could not sponsor it?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
The contract is for ten years.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:00 PM

238 posts, read 420,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
The contract is for ten years.
Please re-read, it clearly states two decades (20 years).

"The stadium name is part of a 20 year naming-rights deal for an undisclosed amount between the El Paso Chihuahuas and Southwest University, a local family-owned school that offers business, health and technical education programs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso