Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,721 times

Advertisements

It looks like after stalling for almost two years, the El Paso downtown streetcar project might finally be rolling again. The project might be approved by the Texas Transportation Commission during their meeting this Thursday.

"Construction of a $97 million Downtown trolley project is likely to start in August.

Ted Houghton, chairman of the Texas Transportation Commission, on Tuesday said that when the commission meets in Houston on Thursday, they will vote on whether to put up the money for the multi-million trolley project as part of $2.2 billion in projects statewide."

Houghton said the commission is likely to approve the plan, which includes almost $200 million for other "multi-modal" projects in Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas.

"If the trolley project is approved, ground could be broken in August and it could be completed in three years, Houghton said. It would run north from the bottom of Stanton Street near Downtown up to the University of Texas at El Paso, loop the campus and run back south on Oregon Street."

El Paso trolley project enjoys broad support; work could start in August - El Paso Times

There's six of these trolleys out in the desert currently, but it looks like they will get renovated and back up and running within the next few years.

How they used to look like:

Last edited by Chuco; 06-25-2014 at 04:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,557 times
I guess "the bottom of Stanton Street" is the Stanton Street Bridge. Okay.

Looks like those streetcars (at least some of them) will need a lot of work to get running again.

Hope this project does well and can expand (like to the Chamizal National Memorial). Eventually I'd like to see commuter rail lines going further out to the West, East, and Northeast Sides and the Lower Valley, which would probably have to be something more modern if they ever do that.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Ha...

Don't you just love it... they ripped these out years ago in the name of "progress", so are they regressing now, or progressing? It's hard to know. Do you think they will want to bring back the nostalgia of the old buildings that were recently torn down, in the future? The city needs a vision. Now they will spend millions to put back what they ripped out years ago.

That said, I think it's cool. Hopefully they will stop by the new stadium, this way people could park away and ride the trolley, or cars... I mean if the tracks are in, why not put in metro cars on them too? I used to like to see those when I was a kid, I remember all the sparks.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Just an update on this story, this project has been approved today by the state and it now gives the city the green light to get the streetcars back up and running. They are saying that construction should start as early as August and should take about 3 years to finish.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:16 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
I love PCC streetcars but welcomed the comforts of the newer cars (air conditioning!) when they were replaced in Toronto.
I'd expect the renovations to go over budget as well as the ongoing maintenance costs for the cars, wires, and track. I hope air conditioning can be installed - but that would mean non-opening windows.

The proposed track skirts downtown and doesn't go down "shopping" streets.
It's a clockwise loop from UTEP south on Stanton to Franklin (just south of I-10), then south on Kansas, across on Father Rahm (1 block from the border), and back north on Santa Fe to Franklin (turn at the stadium) then north on Oregon. Is Oregon less steep than Stanton?

map: El Paso Development News: Council Chooses Streetcar Route

Old 06-26-2014, 05:03 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,249 times
IF they really do come back...then I would surely ride one...my mother never let me get on them...when I was a kid...

Old 06-26-2014, 05:32 PM

238 posts, read 420,489 times
Should just buy new trolleys instead of renovating those hideous pieces of junk.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:34 AM

This article in the El Paso Inc website states that only one of the PCC trolleys will be restored, while the rest of the trolleys will be replicas.

Streetcars still waiting for state money - El Paso Inc.: Local News
Quote:
Six of El Paso’s historic streetcars, saved by the Paso del Norte Streetcar Preservation Society in 1985, are now rusting in the desert at El Paso International Airport.

Called PCC streetcars, the vintage cars are considered the most desirable of the 20th century and are famous for their reliability and Art Deco-styling.

Plans call for one of the old streetcars at the airport to be restored and put back into use, according to Shang. The city will also purchase replica streetcars.
“It’s more cost effective,” she said of the replicas.

Operating and maintaining the system is estimated to cost $2.5 million a year, she said, but the cost will be offset by fare revenue, increases in sales tax revenues and the elimination of redundant circulator bus routes in Downtown.
“We will be able to absorb all the costs,” she said.
An El Paso Rail Transit study published in November 2010 by Cambridge Systematics estimates the economic development impact could be as high as $1 billion.
I also read in another article a while back that all six of the old streetcars will be restored eventually, but that most of the streetcars running in downtown will be replicas with all the modern amenities of new streetcars.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:13 AM

135 posts, read 241,161 times
I am all for it, bring back the History of El Paso, it will also draw in tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso