Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:57 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,636,348 times

Advertisements

According to an L.A. Times article today, some Korean garment business owners are looking to relocate to El Paso.

One apparel maker was quoted as saying "Among ourselves, we're referring to it as an exodus. We're not thinking of going, we're going."

They're being squeezed by increasing minimum wage requirements and stricter labor enforcement. L.A. is going to require a minimum wage of $15/hour by 2020.

I think El Paso is a logical choice for them, with inexpensive commercial real estate and a huge labor force. Also, El Paso is no stranger to garment industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
They're being squeezed by increasing minimum wage requirements and stricter labor enforcement. L.A. is going to require a minimum wage of $15/hour by 2020.

I think El Paso is a logical choice for them, with inexpensive commercial real estate and a huge labor force. Also, El Paso is no stranger to garment industries.
I don't know why more businesses don't come to Texas from California because of stuff like that.

Cost of living in El Paso is much lower than L.A. My parents live in L.A., they pay $1,200 a month for about 700 square feet of "house." It's a house partitioned, they have 2 rooms, bathroom, kitchen and living room. For them it fits because it's just the two of them. Contrast that to me renting a 2,200 square foot house on the west side for $1,250.

Also, we have no income tax here in TX, that means the worker keeps more of their earned money.

CA keeps trying to tax, raise this and that to lift itself to prosperity but it'll never work.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:09 PM

575 posts, read 884,932 times
We may see some more of this. In the recent past, the garment biz here died because of cheap Chinese and Asian labor. As that area of the world has become more prosperous, they are pricing themselves out of that, so we may get it back. I'm no expert on international economics though.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:24 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
We may see some more of this. In the recent past, the garment biz here died because of cheap Chinese and Asian labor. As that area of the world has become more prosperous, they are pricing themselves out of that, so we may get it back. I'm no expert on international economics though.
Kind of sad that El Paso has been stuck in time and getting this industry back seems like a good thing.

Like getting China's hand me downs now.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:12 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,139,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Kind of sad that El Paso has been stuck in time and getting this industry back seems like a good thing.

Like getting China's hand me downs now.
Is it sad that L.A is fighting to keep this industry?

Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,568 times
We don't need a garment factory in El Paso. El Paso is growing rapidly enough and we don't need to be the low end labor capital of Texas. More traffic means, more pollution more accidents and and longer travel times.t

The bigger El Paso gets the more taxes we pay. Public officials say "We are a big city we need higher salaries" Did you notice the $60k salary increase for the city manager?

Why does the garment company want to come to El Paso? Is because we are a pretty town? Is it because of our educational opportunities? LOL
Its because we are the Juarez of the United States- cheap dumb labor.

Other cities can grow - Austin can expand in every direction but even there people are sick of it. We have geographic limits.

YOU will not benefit from this garment company unless you didn't bother to finish high school. You will not get discounts on their garments, Your taxes will not decrease.

People are like sheep -they hear something and repeat it "Grow Grow Grow" yeah sounds good.

Why in hell would this benefit us? If you're a developer yes it will benefit YOU. If you own the electric company it will add a tiny bit of money for you. It will also use quite a bit of our water resources.

I Chaired the Federal Funding Committee for El Paso for 5 years and built parks - public housing in poor areas and write columns for the El Paso Times and other Texas Papers. I don't want to talk about grad degrees etc but I'm not some bumpkin.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Welfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I don't know why more businesses don't come to Texas from California because of stuff like that.

Cost of living in El Paso is much lower than L.A. My parents live in L.A., they pay $1,200 a month for about 700 square feet of "house." It's a house partitioned, they have 2 rooms, bathroom, kitchen and living room. For them it fits because it's just the two of them. Contrast that to me renting a 2,200 square foot house on the west side for $1,250.

Also, we have no income tax here in TX, that means the worker keeps more of their earned money.

CA keeps trying to tax, raise this and that to lift itself to prosperity but it'll never work.
CA keeps trying to raise taxes to pay for it's monster welfare programs. California is a welfare state. It is only 12% of the US population, but it receives 35% of the welfare benefits from the federal government. This means a good portion of your federal tax dollars goes to support all the welfare recipients in that sanctuary state, as well as the rest of the country, but California take more of the welfare pie.

El Paso used to be known as a textile city before the electronic and call center businesses came to town, I don't see why it should not reclaim those jobs. They may not be glamorous jobs, but they are jobs, and when people make money, people spend money, so other people make money. It's all good!

Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
CA keeps trying to raise taxes to pay for it's monster welfare programs. California is a welfare state. It is only 12% of the US population, but it receives 35% of the welfare benefits from the federal government. This means a good portion of your federal tax dollars goes to support all the welfare recipients in that sanctuary state, as well as the rest of the country, but California take more of the welfare pie.
California actually is one of the least dependent on federal aid, contributing far more in revenue than it recieves:

The poor, Southern states rank as the most dependent (with our neighbor NM being #1).

Old 09-03-2015, 10:59 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,568 times
Hook Make the Story up !

Old 09-04-2015, 05:58 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Uhh... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
California actually is one of the least dependent on federal aid, contributing far more in revenue than it recieves:

The poor, Southern states rank as the most dependent (with our neighbor NM being #1).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Hook Make the Story up !
Did you understand what you were reading? That article was about Federal Grants, Insurance and other spending that the Federal Government does in all states. It also took into account people working, I'm assuming legally since you need a SSN. It counts Federal workers twice. They mentioned welfare payments from the state, but that is not what that article was showing you.

This is from the article:

Methodology

In order to identify which states are most and least federally dependent, WalletHub examined the 50 U.S. states and across four key metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights.
1. Return on Taxes Paid to the Federal Government (Federal Funding in $ Divided by Federal Income Taxes in $): Weight = 1
2. Federal Funding as a Percentage of State Revenue (Federal Funding in $ Divided by State Revenue in $ then Multiplied by 100): Weight = 1
3. Number of Federal Employees per 1,000 Residents (Number of Federal Workers Divided by Number of State Residents): Weight = 0.5
4. Number of Civilian Non-Defense Federal Employees per 1,000 Residents (Total Federal Civilian Employment Minus Total Civilian Employment of Army, Air Force, Navy & Defense Department): Weight = 0.25

The following metrics were included in the report for context only. They represent subsets of federal funding and are reflected in the first two metrics.
•Federal Contracts Divided by IRS Collections
•Grants Divided by IRS Collections
•Direct Payments Divided by IRS Collections
•Federal Insurance Divided by IRS Collections

The only veiled reference to welfare payments is this quote from the article:

"The idea of the American freeloader burst into the public consciousness when #47percent started trending on Twitter. And while the notion is senselessly insulting to millions of hardworking Americans, it is true that some states receive a far higher return on their federal income tax contributions than others."

They word it like this for the average American who wont understand, but what they really are saying is that YES, some states (California) receive more federal welfare payments than others. I like how they refer to it as receiving "a far higher return on their federal income tax contributions".

EBT, WIC, Section 8, Phones, etc. Do a Google on "Is California a welfare state?" and you will get all sorts of articles, but most say the same thing, percentages change, but it's all the same basically. Here is just one:

Is California the welfare capital? | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

I do not make things up, ever. Anyway, 'sorry to veer off topic, this is about bringing jobs to El Paso, enough said on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso