Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife got a job offer in El Paso, money is good, I work from home so it would make sense to move. We have been to West TX on vacation but that was Big Bend/Terlingua. Never been to ELP.

We would be bringing two horses with us.

What can we expect in terms of real-estate choices for 5+ acre parcels? Is there _anything_ that might look like it will not be a 5+ acre square of red, flat, dead dirt surrounded by miles and miles of more flat, dead, red dirt that induces thoughts of suicide?

How about Las Cruces? Is the commute feasible? Can one hope to find a more lively looking piece of land in that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 07:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
What can we expect in terms of real-estate choices for 5+ acre parcels? Is there _anything_ that might look like it will not be a 5+ acre square of red, flat, dead dirt surrounded by miles and miles of more flat, dead, red dirt that induces thoughts of suicide?
Your looking to move to the "desert southwest" - in the Chihuahuan desert region where expecting to find 5+ acres with trees implies plenty of water available for irrigation. Even the land within the irrigation plain of the Rio Grande has problems nowadays receiving an adequate allotment of annual irrigation release water. Irrigated land is going to cost plenty, depending on whether or not it's still in production. Internet real estate sites will give a good review of what's currently available. Just search on phrases such as "el paso land for sale" and Google will refer to realty web sites.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Your looking to move to the "desert southwest" - in the Chihuahuan desert region where expecting to find 5+ acres with trees implies plenty of water available for irrigation. Even the land within the irrigation plain of the Rio Grande has problems nowadays receiving an adequate allotment of annual irrigation release water. Irrigated land is going to cost plenty, depending on whether or not it's still in production. Internet real estate sites will give a good review of what's currently available. Just search on phrases such as "el paso land for sale" and Google will refer to realty web sites.

Thanks!

I understand this will be no East coast or even Texas hill country. We have visited the Big Bend area and found it to be beautiful so I am OK with the SW desert but even the Big Bend area had some topography - flatness is what kills me.

Our area is El Paso to Las Cruces by the way. The location sounds great by the way, a few hours to Gila Natl Forest, Lincoln Natl Forest, Guadalupe Natl Par, few more hours to Big Bend, what's not to like?

We are not expecting to graze our horses on the land, El Paso is not Florida but just some topography...

Old 12-20-2014, 08:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
...but even the Big Bend area had some topography - flatness is what kills me.
The city of El Paso wraps around a mountain range known as the Franklins. The area is riddled with mountainous terrain. Topography runs rampant.

Google Images will have a ton of photos of the El Paso area if you've not yet taken a look around.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The city of El Paso wraps around a mountain range known as the Franklins. The area is riddled with mountainous terrain. Topography runs rampant.

Google Images will have a ton of photos of the El Paso area if you've not yet taken a look around.
So you are saying it is possible to find a 5+ acre lot that will have some topography around it? Good! Thanks!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:30 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,500 times
LordyLordy, I don't know your financial situation so I'm going to assume you probably have enough to spend.

In the 79907 area code there are quite a few farms. I have family who lives there and they have quite a bit of acreage. I have attached a property so you can see what I'm talking about.

8659 Holmsley Trail, El Paso TX For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 12-20-2014, 01:09 PM

238 posts, read 420,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
LordyLordy, I don't know your financial situation so I'm going to assume you probably have enough to spend.

In the 79907 area code there are quite a few farms. I have family who lives there and they have quite a bit of acreage. I have attached a property so you can see what I'm talking about.

8659 Holmsley Trail, El Paso TX For Sale | Trulia.com
Those lands are trash, kid. Especially for what the OP is looking for.

OP, you should look on the west side of town. You will be able to find your ideal land there.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banal View Post
Those lands are trash, kid. Especially for what the OP is looking for.

OP, you should look on the west side of town. You will be able to find your ideal land there.
Banal, thanks - I looked at that listing myself and thought "jeez, if that's what you get for the $450K, good luck..."

Old 12-21-2014, 04:53 PM

575 posts, read 884,456 times
There are horse properties in the Upper Valley--you may need a speciality real estate agent.

Our dirt is not red (clay). It's brown (sand).

Old 12-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
There are horse properties in the Upper Valley--you may need a speciality real estate agent.

Our dirt is not red (clay). It's brown (sand).
Sorry, I used the term "endless red dirt" to depict the dislike I have for flatness that extends to the horizon in every direction

Where does one find these horse properties? I looked at realtor.com and the only thing I realized so far is that the El Paso real estate agents have no use for decimal points or cannot make the differentiation between acres and sq ft: almost every property is listed as (e.g.) 6389 acres and it is obviously a city stamp sized lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso