Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,971,514 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, people could own businesses that entertained kids. As an example, there was a roller rink up the street from my house in the N.E. Kids could go there pay an admission, rent skates or bring their own and hang out and skate and interact and have fun. Today the building sits empty, a reminded of what used to be. A few years ago someone tried to reopen it, but the kids of today have no respect. They want to roll around in gangs and act the fool.. instead of having a nice place to go and interact and be entertained. I was talking with a friend of mine today a manager in a movie house.. and he was saying that they have to run off little punks all the time, the kids tag and destroy anything nice.. and that if it continues the overhead will be to high of trying to keep up with the damage todays youth bring.

Why would anyone want to open or own a business that caters to youth any more, they don't welcome it, respect it, or care about others.

Its sad really.. and people wonder why there is nothing to do in El Paso.

How can we fix it? how do we address it? How do we makes todays youth see the value in these things, and respect others property and space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,046,097 times
The kids today are not the same like when we were kids, I know we were taugh good manners, we did'nt have the modern high tech luxury's that kids have today, and the lyrics of the music from back in the days was hardly ever misleading and we did'nt walk around exposing half of our underwear with our pants hanging from the knees.

Kids today are spoiled, we use to get spanked or get our butts kicked and get grounded and not allowed to use moms or dads car for a week or two, today it's a different generation of mostly lost souls, it's going to be scary when we are old and these kids are in control, I think the video games and rap music have alot to do with their behavior, and the lack of dicipline make matters worst, some parents dont care so it really starts with the up bringing.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 AM

421 posts, read 2,158,200 times
I think older generations always tend to think that the young generation is a bunch of slacker trouble-makers with no respect. That said, I think kids today are too preoccupied with technology that they have forgotten or never learned the value of social interaction.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,630,786 times
The problem is mainly with the parents IMO. I have seen parents watch as their kids tore up a restaurant and disturbed all the other diners. If anyone objects the parents get all mouthy too. I am kind of an old witch so I do it anyway.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,724,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The problem is mainly with the parents IMO. I have seen parents watch as their kids tore up a restaurant and disturbed all the other diners. If anyone objects the parents get all mouthy too. I am kind of an old witch so I do it anyway.
I second this. As a parent of two young children, I am absolutely sickened by a large majority of the parenting I witness. It is so lazy, negligent, non-discipline oriented, being best friends-instead-of-parents oriented, ahhh...I could go on and on.

I think one big problem is that since our society has been relatively free of the major struggles past generations encountered (and many other nations still commonly experience) and haven't seen such hardships such as the Great Depression, World War II, the industrial age (when young kids had to work their tails off in terrible conditions in factories), heck, even go back to the Civil War or the great racial struggles of the early '60s.

These were really tough times that taught the importance of discipline, moderation, self-control, etc.

However, we've collectively become kind of a fat, wealthy, arrogant bunch and that really has rubbed off into our parenting.

For example, in "my day", if I were in trouble at school with a parent, my parents would have really punished me severely and wouldn't have wanted to "hear my side." Now, parents automatically for some unfathomable reason will "side" with their kids (as little Suzie could NEVER lie, could she?) and try to sue the teacher, or get them in trouble. What is that?

Yet, those same parents that will not hold their child accountable, they will fully expect that their children get all of their "upbringing" from those same teachers and the daycare they utilize (not wanting to have to sacrifice at all financially themselves or their careers and raise their kids themselves) and not really feel the time or need to raise the kids themselves.

Ahhh, I could go on and on and on. I am really becoming a cranky old man. But the parenting I witness daily just really makes me ill.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM

756 posts, read 2,002,014 times
As a young parent of kids(not to young) I have to agree most kids do not care but they get it from their parents!!
They throw fits in public kick and hit their parents in public and the parent feels guilty for whatever reason so the kid gets away with it.
I have heard and seen it all when it comes to parents and kids today they let there 4year old bite them,kick them, yell no at them and the parent will tell you that they will grow out of it........well no they will not they grow into teenagers that will slap back and have no respect for any adult because they were never told you can not act that way!! you can not be your kids friend for 15 years then be there parent to late!!!!! kids will have lots of friends growing up what they need is a strong parent that teachs them right from wrong!!
I am shocked when I watch kids today my 16year old has friends that tell there parents to go to hell!! hit there mom get pick up by the cops!! and all I hear is well they are kids!! I can tell you I have 4 kids and NEVER have I been told to shut up are go to hell, are hit!! but if you notice tell kids that do this know they will get away with it, where other kids know not to try it!!!
I do spank my kids when they need it but it is not all about the spanking it is more about teaching them their limits take my 7 year old he has never hit me and I can tell you he never will but he has only been spanked a few times a year but he is taught everyday to respect adults!! and that stays with him.
I think it is cruel not to teach your kids respect because when they grow up the world will stike them down. my dad use to tell me I would rather hurt your feelings then the world break your heart, I had know idea what he meant till I became a parent then I understood that it is my JOB to do this sometimes I am very mean to them because if I do not do it now then oneday astranger will have to, I would perfer it come from me!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 PM

I have been around the block.. more than once.. heck more than I care to recall. So I know a few things, and I try to teach my kids that lesson now, so they don't have to travel down a few roads I wish I never had too. I also spank my kids, and am very strict, I think thats partially because being a former military soldier, you know that what your spouse and kids do reflects on you, and can get you as a soldier into trouble.. so I carry a hard thin line, but I am also fair, and try to reward good behavior... but not all the time, because they also need to know that being good is not for a reward, but what is expected period.

Your line about I would rather hurt your feelings now, than have the world break your heart later, is something I heard too.. Also I will have your respect or your fear.. I prefer respect.. but fear will do for now. I feared my dad.. then I grew to respect him.

But I agree it starts at home, and many of these parents are worse than the kids.. so if you see a big bald white guy at Wal*Mart telling someone to handle their kids or he will.. that maybe me. Walk up and say hi.. heh heh.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM

91 posts, read 389,924 times
I work once a week as a hall monitor in a elementery school for youth basketball, ages 6-12 during the winter months, i have witnessed parents allowing their children to tear the school apart and not say a word. I have stepped in so many times, and talked to the parents about their childs behavior, and the response is usually very cold from the parents. I see the parents trying to be a close friend of their children, and not parents, It seems parents are afraid to discipline their kids for fear they won't be well liked by their children. They asked me to work some high school activities, my response was " no
way" ah the youth of today. laplander

Old 02-12-2008, 04:12 PM

756 posts, read 2,002,014 times
I agree people want to be friends with their kids and they do not want to be the bad guy then they say "they will learn one day" your right they will learn the hard way!!! being a parent is not fun but if you do not raise your kids you will raise your grandkids, I have seen that so many times.
my sister-n-law always let her daughter get away with everything I mean she was a BAD kid,hit her mom,scream back, well at 13 she let her date just one boy!! well at 14 she is prengant by that one boy!!!(get where I am going with this)guess who is taking care of the baby? daughter moved out at 16 and is now having a baby with that one boy again!!!! so sister_n-law calls me and said what am I going to do with her???(you know what I was thinking)

Dont get me wrong I had my daughter at 18years old but guess what my mom woke my ass up at night and told me to get out of bed in feed my baby!! no going out, I did not have a babysiter!!! so I went back to school and grew up real fast!! did not date for 2 years after I had my daughter!!
when I told my mom I was having a baby at 18 she did not say well gee what am I going to do...... she look at me took a deep breath and said what are YOU going to do???? I hope you are ready!!! I think if parents hold their kids responsible for their mistakes then they will learn from them.... but parents today say how can I fix this!!! how can I make up for their wrong!! well you cant!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 PM

Well on one note.. we passed laws that scare parents now a days.. I recall when the paddle was used in schools.. At Terrace Hills, they had a paddle that had holes drilled in it, and it was black and gold, on one side is said respect, and the other discipline.. You would get 3 of each to teach you both... or maybe I just got both.. heh heh, and others just got what they felt they needed the most of. But you cant touch your kids any more.. it seems. You do and CPS is knocking down your door. Thats part of the problem, kids feel protected and can do what ever they want.. when what they need is a good kick in the pants.

I don't agree on Schools spanking my kids.. call me up and I'll be happy to come in and take care of it.. as I know how hard I spank, and I know if the lesson is learned. But for me someone else doing it to me is assault. Also after school detention is invading my time.. they want to give that do it during lunch, or other fun times, stick them in one class all day... also sending a kid home as punishment.. naw again stick them in a room all day and make them learn and take away the fun of going to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso