Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,769,730 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has tried selling their house in the El Paso area, and had success. I have a friend who has had her house on the market for about a year and had no luck, she is in the Horizon area, which may be more difficult to sell. Her realtor told her to take it off the market, and try later. It appears there is simply way too much building in the area, and people just prefer brand new houses. It is sad for her, because her house is perfect in every way, with a great lay out, and needs nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 03:19 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,387,387 times
My neighbors priced it right and sold their's within a month.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:54 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,799,120 times
El Paso never been , or I doubt, ever will be one of these seller's markets like we read about in certain parts of the country where there are multiple offers at or OVER the asking price the minute it goes on the market. I see some properties having sold or contract pending signs around here. It is certainly better than after the crash of '08. I think the OP's problem is that it is in Horizon. Unless you work in Far East ELP or East ELP, that is a long commute.

We are fortunate that we haven't had the swings in prices like CAL but I haven't seen the dramatic appreciation of used houses either.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,099,763 times
My sister had her five bedroom, two story home set on a prime view lot in Mountain Park on the market for nearly 3 years before taking a beating on the sale. The house was in like-new condition too, even though it was built in the 1950s. She got the equivalent of about $90/sq. ft. This was about five years ago so the market perhaps is better now.

Last edited by joqua; 02-28-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 03:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,107,412 times
With the massive amount of new homes being built, I can't see how El Paso could ever be a seller's market. New houses were being pumped out even during the recession.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:49 PM

575 posts, read 877,113 times
I think Horizon is too far out, too.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:48 PM

8 posts, read 6,251 times
As someone who has lived in many cities throughout the US: Dallas, Orange County, CA, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Tucson, and Phoenix, I believe we have some experience buying and selling homes. We have been in El Paso for 4 years. We have looked at more homes than you could ever imagine.

I am not really answering the original post's question, of which I apologize. I do believe Horizon City is a tough sell for where it is at. I-10 can be as bad as any Interstate we have ever experienced in the cities we have lived in.

It is a tough time in El Paso to be selling a home, in our opinion. There are a lot of homes on the west side for sale which appear to be owned by people from Juarez, people who moved over to EP during the bad cartel murder & kidnapping years. We are currently terrified to buy in El Paso as if a tariff tax happens as Trump says it will be, it could spell disaster for the region economically. The terrible deportation policies now in effect has to be scaring a lot of people.

Something else we have noticed over the past 4 years is that people in this region believe their home is worth a lot more than it really is. We have NEVER seen homes with such inflated prices! And, to make matters even worse, many homes we look at are in terrible shape. These homes are never maintained, the pools are in terrible shape, the pool equipment not even functioning.

Also, just a tip: People trying to sell their home, clean your damn home up! Replace burnt out light bulbs, clean the frickin' carpet, don't have crap laying around everywhere. Wash the sinks in your house, if a roof is leaking, fix it!

Again, not trying to be rude to the original poster, just saying what is our experience in looking at homes for sale for over 4 years.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 AM

3,743 posts, read 5,799,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
As someone who has lived in many cities throughout the US: Dallas, Orange County, CA, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Tucson, and Phoenix, I believe we have some experience buying and selling homes. We have been in El Paso for 4 years. We have looked at more homes than you could ever imagine.

I am not really answering the original post's question, of which I apologize. I do believe Horizon City is a tough sell for where it is at. I-10 can be as bad as any Interstate we have ever experienced in the cities we have lived in.

It is a tough time in El Paso to be selling a home, in our opinion. There are a lot of homes on the west side for sale which appear to be owned by people from Juarez, people who moved over to EP during the bad cartel murder & kidnapping years. We are currently terrified to buy in El Paso as if a tariff tax happens as Trump says it will be, it could spell disaster for the region economically. The terrible deportation policies now in effect has to be scaring a lot of people.

Something else we have noticed over the past 4 years is that people in this region believe their home is worth a lot more than it really is. We have NEVER seen homes with such inflated prices! And, to make matters even worse, many homes we look at are in terrible shape. These homes are never maintained, the pools are in terrible shape, the pool equipment not even functioning.

Also, just a tip: People trying to sell their home, clean your damn home up! Replace burnt out light bulbs, clean the frickin' carpet, don't have crap laying around everywhere. Wash the sinks in your house, if a roof is leaking, fix it!

Again, not trying to be rude to the original poster, just saying what is our experience in looking at homes for sale for over 4 years.
Great advice!!

Old 03-03-2017, 12:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,769,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post

Not taken as rude at all. My friends house is in Horizon, approx 2500 sq ft, and it is immaculate. She just replaced the swamp cooler with conventional air conditioning, and the house has a beautiful layout. I think the asking price was around 159K, but not sure. I would list the address, but not sure if c-d allows it. My friend lost her husband and her job in the same year, and I suspect may have to take a loss. I suggested back in 2006 when they were looking to stick to the west side, but they did otherwise, oh well. Not sure if it would have mattered much. It is just sad to see so much virgin dessert landscape destroyed by over development.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,622,803 times
My brother passed away, and I put his Northeast house on the market after painting it inside and out. It sold in 8 months after some back-and-forth with the buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso