Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 AM

49 posts, read 158,617 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. I am a college graduate from Europe and I would like to come to El Paso for an english language course. I have already send some posts here at the forum, but mayby I need more informations.
How much hispanic is El Paso? Do more people use spanish ot anglish at the public, in the bars, shops...? Is EP a good place to learn english there?
How about the El paso downtown - is it pretty? How are the nightlife and shopping possibilities?
If I would decide to stay in EP and live there, is necessary to speak spanish? I speak only english, german, hungarian and czech. Can I get a good job without spanish?
Do you know the language school "language plus" - Language Plus Inc. El Paso, Texas, learn English, Spanish, offering language ?
or should I prefer an english program at UTEP?

Are people nice and friendly in EP...are they not racist to white minority?

Thank you for your help...please write me everything, what you find as important for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,577 times
You do not have to speak Spanish to get a job in El Paso. It helps, but is absolutely not necessary. It's also one of the least racist and most tolerant cities I've lived in. I miss it very much!

Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM

thank you, that sounds good So you re now in McAllen? How do you like that area, better than EP?
Can you tell me something more about EP - downtown, nightlife, bars, shopping, downtown revitalization, poverty. Lot of pople says that EP is poor and dirty...and is Juarez so terrible place? I have seen something in the news here in Europe and it seems that Juarez is a big dangerous ghetto...
I don´t wanna be pessimistic...I am reallz interested in EP, in the old west herritage, architecture and nature in that area. And low cost of living looks really good to me.

thank you again

Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM

I miss Fort Worth...I have been there a few years ago and it was the greatest city I have ever visited and I have travelled a lot in Europe and in USA.... man Texas is sooo great place, I love it.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
From what I've heard lately, Juarez is best avoided until the drug cartels finish their battles with each other and with the Federales, which may not happen for a long time. And I agree, as cities go, Fort Worth is tops!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM

135 posts, read 498,920 times
well, the city's name explains how much hispanic it is...

Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 AM

Well, there are many other cities that have a spanish name and they re not mostly hispanic. For example Amarillo, San Francisco, Las Vegas... I know that EP has a strong spanish/mexican herritage, but I hope that spanish is not the only language which you can hear in the streets. Would I be a "second class" person if I don´t speak spanish?? I hope it is not so bad and I hope that all El Pasoans also speaks english... I want to learn english there..not spanish.
Anyways the scenery and the old west herritage are interested for me....there are some another things, that I am worried about.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 AM

38 posts, read 64,235 times
Ya know I have traveled the US a little bit being an ex-trucker and I have yet to find somewhere I had to know another language other than English. There are some small towns in the deep south I probably wouldn't revisit, but most towns 20,000 or more have not been a problem.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by european27 View Post
..............I hope it is not so bad and I hope that all El Pasoans also speaks english... I want to learn english there..not spanish...............
To all the Texans out there don't you think that's a refreshing, unbiased point of view on language and culture from someone outside of our state and nation?

Well it's good to wish for things like that, European27, but unfortunately our founding fathers - in one of their few oversights - never established an official language for the U.S.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times
El Paso is a better place to learn Spanglish, the linqua franca of the border, than is to learn proper Spanish.

Downtown? Unless they've done something dramatic during the year or so since I've been there, it's not a nighlife mecca. That's more likely to be found around UTEP. I would caution you, though, that Texas ain't like Europe. You may not be welcome in every bar and some can be downright dangerous.

Overall, it's a nice place, full of nice people, and you should enjoy your time there. So far as I'm concerned, it beats The Valley hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso