Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times

Advertisements

When I was at Fort Dix New Jersey, I had a friend in New York, I went to visit her, and she owned an Apartment in this nice building. It was my first time seeing such a thing, I was like how much is the rent, she was like rent.. I own this. I wondered why don't we have such things in El Paso? Then I saw Condos on the Coast, and was like why doesn't El Paso have these high rise condos? I also got to see brown stones, and wondered why El Paso does not have any of them either? You think Condos need water to over look, why cant we have them on the side of the mountain over looking our great vistas, and with the heat I am sure a mirage or two can fake water real well for the people living in them. I would love to see a china town here.. and a brown stone area as well.. I mean if were gonna build house inches from one another why not just do the brownstone idea? And Build these nice Apartment building high rises here.. they could be loft style.

In San Francisco they have all those Victorians all lined up with the park in the center.. we should have a brownstone area like that with a park in the center of each block.. that way you get green space with your living space... it could also be a gathering place for the neighbors to get to know one another and give your kids a close by safer place to play.

We also need speed bumps in and around schools and neighborhood streets here, I saw a kid almost get hit tonight while at my mothers house because some idiot had to try to impress the ladies and come screaming up her street. The kid got out of the way just in the nick of time.. so can we get these safety features around town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,607,237 times
I agree we need more speed bumps ,but not those that you see all over the city we need the 3ft ,in width ones they are easier on the cars suspension

Old 06-19-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
I agree we need more speed bumps ,but not those that you see all over the city we need the 3ft ,in width ones they are easier on the cars suspension
Like this?

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/504/images/speedhumps1.jpg (broken link)

or this?

Or maybe some of the ideas on this page would work?

Lesson 20 - FHWA University Course on Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation (FHWA-HRT-05-085)

They do have something like this on one street out here in the North East.

Its located on Capt Vultr and Round Rock..

neighborhood speed bumps - Google Maps

You cant see it on this old image of El Paso.. hope they update the maps soon.. but thats where it is.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Too expensive for ELP...

Houston has these all over town, has had them for quite a while now. Not as many as in say, Miami, but lots.

Here comes the unattractive truth again, and the truth is that the vast majority of El Pasoan's cannot afford these type of residences. Or, El Pasoan's don't have the disposable income to pay for the ammenities. They are not cheap to own, and maintain.

Here in Houston, a typical 2 bedroom highrise condo goes for hundreds of thousands. See for yourselves, go to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation and navigate through 'Find a Home'>'Highrise Condominium' and under 'Bedrooms', select 2. Select a maximum price, or you'll get only expensive ones. The price ranges from 6 million down to 180K. The less expensive ones have low square footage for the price.

That's not all, you then have to pay a maintenance fee anywhere from about $250 all the way up to $1200 per month on top of the mortgage/rent.

You won't see these built in El Paso anytime soon. Not many high paying jobs there to entertain such a lifestyle. Even if there were enough people interested, you have to consider job security in El Paso. I don't think many developers would gamble on building a condo alone.

The latest craze in Houston is building shopping centers with condos on the top floors. These are typically only 4-5 story developments, but still condominiums. There are parts of Uptown Houston that do have that European feel to it because of the restaurants and shops below the condos.

You are also right in that this style of living does create more sense of community as you will undoubtedly meet your neighbor entering, or leaving, and all people with kids, or pets must go outside for walks, or play. What is nice is that you can go downstairs to eat in someone else's kitchen, then return to your home again in minutes.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
They just finished two 30 story Condo's twin towers in Jacksonville but quit halfway thru the third tower as the housing crises especially in Florida has killed those high rise projects for now.

Back in the late 80's they were going to build a 20 story Condo Tower on the west side off of Mesa St. but the people living around it complained that it would block their view and threatened to file suit so it was canceled.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 AM

93 posts, read 309,531 times
I agree with Hook. Condos, etc. can be very expensive when you consider taxes, bulding fees, etc. Plus also, most condos are targeting single people, or couples with 1 or 2 kids at most. On my last visit, I went to see a bunch of new condo developments in Las Cruces which are doing really well. But they are not cheap. If you are single, and have lots of disposable income, this would be a good investment.
In Chicago, a two bedroom condo, on average will cost no less than $300K, and that is on the cheap side. The ones I saw in Las Cruces were $150K for a VERY small two bedroom...although the view was spectacular and it was gated with full ammenities.
I think most people in El Paso would rather pay that much for a small house where they can have their own backyard, and separated from their neighbors....no?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
I also agree, most people would rather have a piece of property of their own, and not have to pay those high maintenance fees. You also get a patio, and garage with a home. Condos have garages too, but you are limited in space, and you are usually alloted one spot, and have to pay for a second. Plus you can't store your junk in a condo garage, but again, they do have storage, but guess what, you have to pay!

Most neighborhoods have the community swimming pool, and you can join a gym for much less than you would get at the condo.

You are also correct that the majority of people, at least in Houston, who own/live in highrise condos are the young/yuppie type who are paid well and don't have too many responsibilities right now, babies, kids, etc.

My kids would get cabin fever after just one day in a condo, they need a yard to play in. The neighbors would complain when my children fight and scream, or when they are watching any of the Shrek movies in THX Surround, serious bass there.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,607,237 times
muhnay: yes those are the ones I was talking about I guess I should have called them speedhumps

Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 PM

507 posts, read 1,660,168 times
dont we have one high rise condo building? its by Utep isnt it?
its not really high rise its more mid rise

Old 06-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Houston has these all over town, has had them for quite a while now. Not as many as in say, Miami, but lots.

Here comes the unattractive truth again, and the truth is that the vast majority of El Pasoan's cannot afford these type of residences. Or, El Pasoan's don't have the disposable income to pay for the ammenities. They are not cheap to own, and maintain.

Here in Houston, a typical 2 bedroom highrise condo goes for hundreds of thousands. See for yourselves, go to Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation and navigate through 'Find a Home'>'Highrise Condominium' and under 'Bedrooms', select 2. Select a maximum price, or you'll get only expensive ones. The price ranges from 6 million down to 180K. The less expensive ones have low square footage for the price.

That's not all, you then have to pay a maintenance fee anywhere from about $250 all the way up to $1200 per month on top of the mortgage/rent.

You won't see these built in El Paso anytime soon. Not many high paying jobs there to entertain such a lifestyle. Even if there were enough people interested, you have to consider job security in El Paso. I don't think many developers would gamble on building a condo alone.

The latest craze in Houston is building shopping centers with condos on the top floors. These are typically only 4-5 story developments, but still condominiums. There are parts of Uptown Houston that do have that European feel to it because of the restaurants and shops below the condos.

You are also right in that this style of living does create more sense of community as you will undoubtedly meet your neighbor entering, or leaving, and all people with kids, or pets must go outside for walks, or play. What is nice is that you can go downstairs to eat in someone else's kitchen, then return to your home again in minutes.
I disagree.. we are thinking how someone else has done it.. there has to be another way.. an El Paso way. Forget condos for a second.. what about the brownstones.. they are single family homes all lines up and attached like you see in Washington DC... like this rendering.

http://www.southholland.org/TownCent...endering1A.jpg

Link because the image is quite big.

Anyways.. that with green space in small parks either in a strip of road like on Edgemere here in El Paso.. or in a more square fashion would work. You would have a smaller piece of land with a backyard even.. not so large.. but enough to garden or let the puppy out in. One of the parks could have a pool in it.. that way you have a community pool, and with water as tight as it is here, less would be used in a community pool over everyone having one in the area.

No as for Condos, El Paso already has some.. they are not high rise condos, they are spread out over a large area like apartments, but they are sold as condos.

I am just trying to find alternate ways to house our expanding population with out over taking what makes us so beautiful... the desert views and vistas.

I like the idea of the condos on top of the stores.. Boise is doing this too, and its quite nice. Wish we could.. they would not have to be more than what 4 stories.. instead of condos we could have apartments, or flats/lofts. Oh that would be ideal.. you get shopping and living... and make a smaller footprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho
muhnay: yes those are the ones I was talking about I guess I should have called them speedhumps
Cool.. yeah I think thats what we need too El Borracho. That or some of the ideas shown on that one web page with the many street speed reducers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso