Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:48 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times

Advertisements

There is nowhere to take your animal in El Paso for 24 hour care...the emergency centers close and we are expected to bring our animals back and forth between the vet. clinic and the emergency center if they need 24 hour monitoring...my cat died because of this...I went to pick him up in order to bring him back to the vet. clinic 2 mornings ago, and he collapsed and died after they took him off the oxygen. Does anyone know where the closest 24 hour animal hospital is from here??? I have 3 dogs and a very depressed cat (the 2 grew up together...she's as crushed as I am...) and want to know that there's somewhere for them to go in the event of an emergency...please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times
I'm sorry about your loss.

I believe I saw an animal clinic that was open 24 hours a day on Airway Blvd, by Edgemere. I am not 100% sure on this.. but I thought I once saw a 24 hour sign on their building.

Animal Emergency Center in Central I think is also 24 hours a day.. but not 100% sure on that either.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:23 PM

That is the emergency center I went to...(on airway) they close in the mornings when regular vet. clinic hours resume, then re-open at 5pm. The doctor there told me that there is nothing in or around El Paso for 24 hour animal care. I looked on-line to try to find one that actually stays open 24 hours with doctors on-site, but the nearest one I could find is in Albuquerque...we really need one closer than that! Or the city needs to fund the emergency centers we already have to help the animals that require this type of intensive care. I'm so miserable without my little guy...my heart is broken.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:10 AM

105 posts, read 493,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
That is the emergency center I went to...(on airway) they close in the mornings when regular vet. clinic hours resume, then re-open at 5pm. The doctor there told me that there is nothing in or around El Paso for 24 hour animal care. I looked on-line to try to find one that actually stays open 24 hours with doctors on-site, but the nearest one I could find is in Albuquerque...we really need one closer than that! Or the city needs to fund the emergency centers we already have to help the animals that require this type of intensive care. I'm so miserable without my little guy...my heart is broken.
I'm sorry to hear you've lost your furry pal. I had a similar situation years ago when my cat got sick, and I scrambled to find a 24-hour center. There was the one on Texas Avenue, which I believe is the one that moved to Airway, but it didn't provide adequate care, in my opinion. He died a few days later.

El Paso really sucks when it comes to serious pet care resources. People here let their dogs sit outside all day and night, and let their cats roam the neighborhoods, even though there's a high risk of rabies in the area. Folks here get animals and don't know how to properly care for them, then when the animals get sick, they just have them euthanized. In effect, pets are treated as almost like disposable pens around here. Just take a look at the number of animal abuse cases in this area.

Many folks here don't realize that having a pet is a real commitment. But because of the disposable mentality of the area, you'll not see any real 24-hour pet care facilities for some time, and it's one main reason why I'll not get another cat as long as I live here.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM

447 posts, read 1,579,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
There is nowhere to take your animal in El Paso for 24 hour care...the emergency centers close and we are expected to bring our animals back and forth between the vet. clinic and the emergency center if they need 24 hour monitoring...my cat died because of this...I went to pick him up in order to bring him back to the vet. clinic 2 mornings ago, and he collapsed and died after they took him off the oxygen. Does anyone know where the closest 24 hour animal hospital is from here??? I have 3 dogs and a very depressed cat (the 2 grew up together...she's as crushed as I am...) and want to know that there's somewhere for them to go in the event of an emergency...please help!!!
This is the exact same situation that happened to my wife (gf at the time), even down to the clinic and almost the same time. The only difference is that it was her dog, and about two years ago. This clinic is horrible, IMO.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 AM

[quote=TexanWest;5372017]

El Paso really sucks when it comes to serious pet care resources. People here let their dogs sit outside all day and night, and let their cats roam the neighborhoods, even though there's a high risk of rabies in the area. Folks here get animals and don't know how to properly care for them, then when the animals get sick, they just have them euthanized. In effect, pets are treated as almost like disposable pens around here. Just take a look at the number of animal abuse cases in this area.

quote]

It really does suck...I've always felt like my animals are my children. I get so upset at how many dogs are out day and night...like they're not even members of the family! My cats never had a desire to go outside, (they grew up in Brooklyn) and for that I was relieved because I never would have risked their health by letting them roam anyway...and my dogs just want to be wherever I am, (plus they're so cute I think someone might steal them if I let them out unattended!) so we only go outside together. One guy I met had a dog outside, some kids threw poison at her and she died before they could even get her to the vet. I also recently rescued a family of chihuahuas (kept one...couldn't resist!) because the "man of the house" kicked the nursing mama and told his son he would KILL all the puppies if he didn't get them out of there. Disgusting. Animal abuse and child abuse are the same thing to me...equally horrifying and equally deserving of the most severe punishment!!! I'm going to write to the city and keep annoying them about this, even if it takes the rest of my life I will find a way to get adequate 24 hour animal care over here!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
I'm just curious. What do they do with animals who have had surgery and need to stay in the hospital for a couple of nights and days???????

OMG..........that can't be the way all vet practices are run in ELP??????? Surely, there is a vet somewhere in the city with overnight facilities?

Did you try Crossroads in the Upper Valley?

When we lived in ELP I had four cats....and one fabulous vet. His name was Robert Nelson... and he made housecalls!!!!!!

I use a fabulous practice here in RI. All my family members use the same practice. When there's an emergency day or night, there is coverage. Two of the four cats who were born in ELP came back east with me. I had the most elderly patients in my vet's practice. I couldn't have asked for better care for the girls, and when their time came to cross Rainbow Bridge - both on Sunday afternoons - the dr was but a phone call and 15 minute drive away.

I am so sorry for your loss. I just can't imagine an animal being discharged who's on oxygen. I just can't get over that!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I'm just curious. What do they do with animals who have had surgery and need to stay in the hospital for a couple of nights and days???????

OMG..........that can't be the way all vet practices are run in ELP??????? Surely, there is a vet somewhere in the city with overnight facilities?

When we lived in ELP I had four cats....and one fabulous vet. His name was Robert Nelson... and he made housecalls!!!!!!

I use a fabulous practice here in RI. All my family members use the same practice. When there's an emergency day or night, there is coverage. Two of the four cats who were born in ELP came back east with me. I had the most elderly patients in my vet's practice. I couldn't have asked for better care for the girls, and when their time came to cross Rainbow Bridge - both on Sunday afternoons - the dr was but a phone call and 15 minute drive away.

I am so sorry for your loss. I just can't imagine an animal being discharged who's on oxygen. I just can't get over that!
I was (and am) as shocked as you are...even the doctor at the clinic said that in San Diego, (where she's from) they are not only equipped with 24 hour care, but with actual pet ambulence services as well!!!

Sadly, after much research I have still not found a facility that will care for and monitor our animals 'round the clock anywhere near El Paso. The vet. clinics let the animals stay if they need to, but no one is actually THERE to make sure everything's okay throughout the night. So the options are to:
(a) leave your pet alone at the clinic and hope for the best
(b) cart the poor thing back and forth every day, twice a day
(c) do everything you can at home, even though you might not have the equipment or necessary training to address an emergency situation if it arises...
It sucks royally!
House calls would have definitely helped in this case, (at least with his stress level) but I trusted my vet. and followed their instructions when I shouldn't have.

I moved here from Brooklyn, and when my other kitty had to have emergency surgery while we still lived there, she stayed right where she was until she had recovered enough to come home, (about 3 days)...I didn't even care about the astronomical bill at the end of all that, I was so relieved to have her back and on the road to recovery...moving her at all was never even an option, since she had to be monitored 'round the clock.

I am definitely switching vets...I went to get all my animals' records yesterday, and they gave me the runaround...had records for 2 of my dogs, but "couldn't find" anything else, (yes, the WEEK after their patient, my cat, died there!) I think they are trying to cover their butts because they know they were incredibly negligent in this case, and they're afraid I'm gonna do something legal about it...!!!

Thanks everyone for the condolences...it does make me feel a little bit better to hear the words!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 AM

105 posts, read 493,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post

I think there are several vets in EP who have overnight care facilities. The problem is if your pet gets ill in the middle of the night or on a Sunday (or holiday), there's really no high-quality pet hospital in town. This is in stark contrast to many other major cities in America (even Tucson and ABQ have them). Most vets here won't make house calls, so most people have to sweat it out for the vets' to open while their pets suffer.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 12,089 times
Default killedmydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeguy View Post
This is the exact same situation that happened to my wife (gf at the time), even down to the clinic and almost the same time. The only difference is that it was her dog, and about two years ago. This clinic is horrible, IMO.
Almost the same thing happened to me at this same clinic. I was traveling and Missy my Pom got sick. I went to the Elpaso Pet Emergency near the Airport. When I got there (About 9:00 P.M.) The assisstant on duty said that he put Missy into an Oxygen Tent. To make a long story short, I stayed the night outside of the clinic in my RV. In the morning I got the song and dance about having to take Missy somewhere else during the day. I tried to plead with the Vet that I had already spent $830+ Dollars with them and couldn't afford the $300-$600 they estimated the other Vet would charge then back to them again for another $800+.When the Vet Heard this, My prescous Missy Suddenly became critical and DIED. I could not tell what happened all of the doors lock one way and there is a one way mirror so that you can't see what they are doing to your pet. I am very bitter because Missy was my companion for 13 years. Missy was eating and drinking before I took her there so it leads me to believe Missy's life may heve been taken because of my lack of $2000 a day they were trying to charge me for her care. I tried to mail the vet for a more thurough explanation but she will not get in contact with me. I am lost without my Missy I am 100% disabled without means to meet friends so she was my world. I have no answers, I am still paying back the bank for the loan to pay the Vet that may have KILLED my Dog !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso