Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 PM

49 posts, read 105,426 times

Advertisements

Ahh! I hated Chico's Tacos! Haha! That was the one thing I never got into like the locals did. Too greasy for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times
I don't know if El Paso is in my long term future....my career prospects here are not great and I am very fortunate to have the position I have with the salary and benefits I receive. What I do fills the immediate need, but I think my career would die here or stagnate. Socially, have not really connected with too many people; most of the neighbors and co-workers are El Pasoans with family all over the city, so we haven't connected as much as I would have liked since they tend to stay socially towards family. I think that is the hardest adjustment being here.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
I left El Paso ten years ago and have lived in five different cities since then (currently living in Germany). Even though I was not a local, I did live in EP for a few years and I would go back in a second if I could. I miss everything there, the mountains, the sunsets, the people, the open spaces, and yes, "Chicos Tacos" as well. I felt more at home there, than at any other place I have lived. My best friend still lives there, so I go visit from time to time and my heart sinks when I leave. Maybe once I retire I will move back.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,973,134 times
Grew up in El Paso, left to go to UT and stayed in Austin for a total of 10 years before reluctantly taking a job back in El Paso (out of grad school).

Lived there for another 3 years (21 total years) and then moved the second we could. Moved to Houston for 3 years and are now in NYC.

My parents won't leave El Paso because they think it would just be too difficult to move and start over at their age. If they weren't in EP, I honestly can't imagine ever going back for any reason.

I'd say I miss the food (which was always the only thing I missed when I was living in Austin), but now that I realize just how exceptionally unhealthy the food I loved there is, I don't even miss that any more.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,732 times
Hi there,

I left El Paso after I graduated from school 2085 to attend University in Washington, D.C. but I did not receive a college degree after two years college. I got a federal government job for over 20 years in D.C. area. Now my job is impacted by BRAC 2005 so I will have to find a new job somewhere in D.C. area. I mont moving anywhere out of this area.

My family in El Paso come visiting me twice a year which make me feel better to see them and I also visit them during summer and winter. I am not crazy moving to El Paso and I don’t regret that. I enjoy living here in D.C. because of a lot of things to do here.

Last edited by G2009; 09-17-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: mispelled

Old 09-21-2009, 05:38 PM

432 posts, read 3,659,496 times
I grew up in El Paso but moved to San Antonio 2.5 yrs ago after graduating college. NOT ONE SINGLE REGRET. san antonio is a much better city for someone trying to start their career. el paso didn't have much to offer. plus san antonio is very nice and green!! I enjoyed growing up in el paso but i like my new home much more.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I'd like to hear from people who are leaving El Paso, or are thinking of leaving, or who have left El Paso. What reasons did you have for leaving? Where did you go? Do you have any regrets about leaving?
I left El Paso in 1991 and do not regret it. I moved to a small town to raise my children and never left when they grew up. I have a good job here so I will stay until I retire and then decide where I want to move.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
I grew up in El Paso but moved to San Antonio 2.5 yrs ago after graduating college. NOT ONE SINGLE REGRET. san antonio is a much better city for someone trying to start their career. el paso didn't have much to offer. plus san antonio is very nice and green!! I enjoyed growing up in el paso but i like my new home much more.
There is a difference between a job and a career, and many in El Paso think their job is a career, and are happy about that. I had jobs, before I started my career.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:03 PM

17 posts, read 36,417 times
Default Money is not about status.

This is absolutely laughable. The notion that only in El Paso a wealthy person drives a beater because they enjoy it. Those people exist in every city. I was born and raised in El Paso but moved to Chicago due to the insulting wages here. I thought I missed it and even thought I made a mistake but each time I came back to visit family and friends, I realized that I did not miss El Paso at all..it was family and friends that I missed. If I could take them all with me to Chicago, I would never go back. I find it amusing that some think that only El Paso can offer a small, slow, hometown feeling..that can be found anywhere if you know where to look. Chicago has suburbs that have that feel but are more visually appealing. I know that El Pasoans settle for what they can get but if a family man can not find a job in El Paso to take care of his family then the only reasonable thing to do is move. We move because we care about our families, not because we care about money. I have seen how most families in El Paso live..paycheck to paycheck. That is perhaps why there is no quality entertainment here..only a small minority would be able to afford it. El Paso is a terrible place for families, young professionals and couples that love an active lifestyle. El Paso is perfect for retirees, illegals and slackers. This city has potential and could become a great city but the people have to stop living in the past and seperate themselves from Juarez. As long as El Pasoans continue to see this town as a small, cozy city..it wil always be second rate and undesirable.
BTW, people in big cities don't buy fancy cars as a status symbol or to impress..we buy them because they are better than their cheaper competition. That's what happens when you make enough to pay for necessities and have enough left over to avoid having to settle. Most El Pasoans I know are settlers and that's why they won't leave. Those of us that leave want more out of life..for us and our children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That may have been me because I've pointed that out before. What is funny in El Paso is that sometimes wealthy people are driving old beaters. They do as a sort of reverse status symbol. Established physicians for example who could afford a Lexus but will drive an old car they just like. There's no pressure here to dress in the most expensive clothes or drive the best car -- no one cares if you do, but it doesn't impress people one way or the other.

Or -- you can drive in some colonia where the houses are on the humble side and see the most deluxe new truck with all the features parked in the driveway. It's not unusual to see people driving vehicles that would cost more than their home.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Well -- you can keep Chicago. Remember to stay happy when the bitter cold blows in come January and your heating bills are sky high. Just think of El Paso where the sun will be shining and we won't be shoveling snow or wearing thick jackets and boots.

Not everyone in El Paso is making minimum wage. Plenty of people here live just as well as people in Chicago. Better sometimes because the heating bills can be quite low.

I was in Chicago one day when it was just 95 degrees and it was completely miserable. I could not believe when I learned it was only 95 because it was hotter than hell and so muggy you couldn't stand yourself. Here in El Paso, 95 degrees is about perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso