Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
El Paso is not a hipster town. That is a good thing. Austin, Seattle and many other cities have been gentrified and over developed. The prices have pushed out the working class. I'm making reference to those high rise glass tower condos
expensive restaurants and coffee shops. Liberalism is their religion. They are brats with a lot of money.
Seattle and Austin have much better and diverse economies. Developers have no problem destroying our desert landscape with their tacky urban sprawl as fast as they possibly can. Liberalism vs. conservatism is usually a sign of being enlightened, but El Paso is selectively liberal when it suits, specifically with issues surrounding immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I'd like to hear from people who are leaving El Paso, or are thinking of leaving, or who have left El Paso. What reasons did you have for leaving? Where did you go? Do you have any regrets about leaving?
leaving el paso was an act from god/jesus Christ himself,if you live by the sword ,you;ll die from the sword,I chose to live and it was a wise choice,I got clean,jobs,cars,motorcycles,home,couldn't do it there but others in better living terms can stay and make a good life there but never will I go back to live,all friends are dead,or in serving time,god help me make a geographical move and that's what many vatos need,move out before its to late.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez6500 View Post
leaving el paso was an act from god/jesus Christ himself,if you live by the sword ,you;ll die from the sword,I chose to live and it was a wise choice,I got clean,jobs,cars,motorcycles,home,couldn't do it there but others in better living terms can stay and make a good life there but never will I go back to live,all friends are dead,or in serving time,god help me make a geographical move and that's what many vatos need,move out before its to late.
So, where did you move? Why do you prefer it over El Paso?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,622 times
I lived in EP in the mid 60s and truly loved it there. Moved to Ohio with the family. Returned for a visit in 78 and 06. Question, they say that the crime rate is low but when i came back in 06 i noticed alot of razor wire on buisnesses on Dyer st in the NE. Also alot of homes in that area have there windows bared. Could someone explain that.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Seattle and Austin have much better and diverse economies. Developers have no problem destroying our desert landscape with their tacky urban sprawl as fast as they possibly can. Liberalism vs. conservatism is usually a sign of being enlightened, but El Paso is selectively liberal when it suits, specifically with issues surrounding immigration.
To be fair, a lot of El Paso's hideous development on the fringes has to do with Texas land use laws. They favor developers, and El Paso developers are in the game of maximizing profits, not building communities for the next 100 years. Its a sad thing, but unlikely to change anytime soon.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:52 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,397 times
Default I moved..

Quote:
So, where did you move? Why do you prefer it over El Paso?
to Dallas to get a teaching job here..I could NOT find one in El Paso..I wish I could have stayed there,,but I could NOT..it was a matter of survival..I am NOW set to retire..my father is old and living there in EL Paso..I am looking at my priorities..and NOW think..that it is in my best interest to move back ..at least while my Father is alive..I dont know how much time..he has left and I want to make it count!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM

24 posts, read 35,864 times
Lightbulb re: El Paso's statist way of life

Quote:

The poster above speaks the truth.... Without question, the only good "jobs" in El Paso, Texas are those legally stolen i.e., wealth transferred from the tax - payors to the parasites at government agencies...... We need Christian Reconstruction.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM

35 posts, read 35,557 times
Hey all, I moved from El Paso to Austin about 15 years ago. I was in my late 20's at the time. But now that I'm older I'm considering moving back (or at least to somewhere other than here). I wouldn't say I regret leaving but I'm just no longer happy here in Austin and still have friends and family back in El Paso. While El Paso does have negatives. It also has positives that I did not realize it had until recently. It's quite a tough decision though.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,670 times
If you have a job lined up and will be pretty independent then I would definitely come back. I personally wouldn't come back if I was not financially self sufficient, but that's just me. Good luck and I hope you make the right decision.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:23 PM

35 posts, read 35,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
If you have a job lined up and will be pretty independent then I would definitely come back. I personally wouldn't come back if I was not financially self sufficient, but that's just me. Good luck and I hope you make the right decision.
Thanks for the reply and well wishes! I'll definitely get a job lined up if I decide to go. The last thing I want to do is get there and scrape by!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso